PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Strings?

Swengo86
07-22-2008, 07:38 AM
When making a hybrid, do both strings need to be the same gauge?

07-22-2008, 07:46 AM
When making a hybrid, do both strings need to be the same gauge?

no, not at all

really opens up you options

Loco4Tennis
07-22-2008, 07:50 AM
no, thats the beauty of hybrids, you can mix and match as you like,
every string is gonna play different conbined with other strings, and play different based on your game, you really need to see if you like that setup yourself,

Swengo86
07-22-2008, 08:30 AM
no, thats the beauty of hybrids, you can mix and match as you like,
every string is gonna play different conbined with other strings, and play different based on your game, you really need to see if you like that setup yourself,

ok so if I would use a co-poly and a synthetic gut, i'd put the tougher co-poly as my mains and the softer syn. guy as my crosses correct, or is that up to me as well? I can also string them at different tensions too if I'm not mistaken, right? I've never used a hybrid before and I hear they are nice to use so i'd like to string one up and am just trying to figure it all out. Thanks for the help!

Loco4Tennis
07-22-2008, 08:41 AM
yeah, its all up to you and what you like
i tried bothpoly mains synthetic crosses, works good for me and i like the setup
ive also tried synt mains and poly crosses, while some like this setup for the control they get, i hated the feel,
you'll need to figure which one you prefer
as for the tension, i did not mention it, because that is also another can of worms you can play with once you have the right kind of string setup you chosse, and it also will make the strings and your game play different
i have some polys and sythtic guts that play different at different tensions, for example, i have forten nylon string (synt gut) that plays a little too soft at 58lbs to me and my racquet, so i increased it to 60lbs, feels good there now
i also have synt gut babolat fine play, on crosses that are too hard at 58lbs, however they are perfect to me at 56lbs
i found this out by simple trying them out at the different tensions
now string setup wise, both the strings i mentioned above, forten does ok on mains, the babolat fineplay sucks IMO on the mains, so i use both the strings on crosses only

Loco4Tennis
07-22-2008, 08:48 AM
when choosing a setup, the racquet you put it on will also affect it, dont expect to feel the same when you string 2 different racquets with the same strig setup
one thing i should also mention about tension, is that what ever tension difference you choose, try not to make it too much different, it could hurt the frame
i have a hard rule i follow, i do not let the string different between the mains and the crosses go over 5lbs
i once had the mains at 60lbs and crosses at 50lbs, this made the racquet shape change from an oval to a round shape, not good, i was lucky to cut out the string and redo and the shape came back, it was avery flexible frame, some say they have a big difference on theirs and its ok, i think some racquet would be able to handle it, but over time i think you would see issues

Swengo86
07-22-2008, 09:11 AM
^Loco4tennis. Thanks for all your help and suggestions! I have a pretty good idea now of what i'd like to try. I think I'll be stringing my mains with MSV Focux Hex poly and my crosses with Laserfiber classic syn. gut. Hopefully it softens it up a little. Right now i only use the MSV hex @ 62 lbs for the control and its a little stiff so hopefully that syn. gut will soften it up a little!

Loco4Tennis
07-22-2008, 09:19 AM
no prov.
dont know if you know this already, when and if you decide to change a tension, change it atleast by 2-3lbs, any smaller a change and you would not be able to tell too much different
some poeple are not that sensisitive and say they cannot feel anything less than 5lb change, i myself can feel a 2lb change, 3lbs for sure

Swengo86
07-22-2008, 09:35 AM
^loco...here is a question maybe you can answer. I'm young and pretty powerful so having enough power isn't as much of a concern for me but more control is. Would adding that syn. gut into the hybrid help me to control the ball better or would having the full co-poly setup offer me more control. I know that the higher tension I use the more control which is why I string at 62 lbs

07-22-2008, 10:47 AM
^loco...here is a question maybe you can answer. I'm young and pretty powerful so having enough power isn't as much of a concern for me but more control is. Would adding that syn. gut into the hybrid help me to control the ball better or would having the full co-poly setup offer me more control. I know that the higher tension I use the more control which is why I string at 62 lbs

a full poly set up should give more control and going with a softer as Big Ace is reported, shouldn't be too harsh at the right tension. Not sure what you were using at 62, but you might be able to drop to 58-60 with a full poly set up and even lower with stiffer setups like BBO, assuming the 62lbs is not based on a poly.

Swengo86
07-22-2008, 11:11 AM
a full poly set up should give more control and going with a softer as Big Ace is reported, shouldn't be too harsh at the right tension. Not sure what you were using at 62, but you might be able to drop to 58-60 with a full poly set up and even lower with stiffer setups like BBO, assuming the 62lbs is not based on a poly.

I am currently using MSV Focus Hex at 62 lbs which is a co-poly string. I'd like to soften it up a bit by adding a syn. gut cross

jazar
07-22-2008, 11:24 AM
i definitely prefer the strings in my hybrids to be different gauges

Swengo86
07-22-2008, 11:26 AM
i definitely prefer the strings in my hybrids to be different gauges

Why is that? Just a better feel overall or what?

Swengo86
07-22-2008, 07:10 PM
in general will a hybrid set up be softer than a full co-poly setup?

Loco4Tennis
07-22-2008, 10:28 PM

the poly is suppose to be a high control string, when used on the mains it will give you better control on ground strokes, baseline shots; it is a low power string, so you'll need to generate your own power
the synt gut on the crosses is used when you need to soften the racquet for volleys mosttly, thats when they really show, on other shots you will notise some but not nearly as much as when you volley, if you are looking for control on volleys, poly on crosses might be for you, but thsi would amke the string bed feel very hard, definately not a setup for everyone

in general will a hybrid set up be softer than a full co-poly setup?

yes and no, i tried poly on mains and also crosses, i did not like the poly on crosses, that just the way i play, if you have agressive volleys, you might like it however, if you are more touch on volleys, a softer string on the crosses might be for you

Swengo86
07-23-2008, 06:42 AM
Ok well I'm more of a touch volley kind of guy so I think I'll be using the syn. gut on the crosses then. How long can a hybrid string job like this normally last on average? Is it a longer or shorter sting life than the poly setup?

Loco4Tennis
07-23-2008, 06:57 AM
if you can use the racquet for a month, then the strings have done their job, thats my thinking, more time than this and you loose a bunch of your tension and at that point you are adjusting your hits to the current stringbed
if you snap strings within a week, look into making mods.. to the gauge of the string that snapped, on a hybrid like this, look into the crosses snapping first
i am a flat hitter, so i dont snap strings often, but all my racquets are restrung once a month to keep my desired tension, i do this mainly cause i like stringing, and also because the strings i use are fairly cheap and cost me very little
one thing i would suggest, is keep a log of the hybrid setups you used, and make notes at the bottom of what you tought of the setup, good and bad, you'll the be able to reference back to it in the future, i also write on this log, how much string i cut and used for that perticular racquet
you'll see right away you can cut the crosses normally, several feet less, thus savign you string for more racquets, i find doing this that i waist very little string