PDA

View Full Version : Is this my point...

chrisab508
03-27-2004, 05:47 PM
IS it my point if my opponent hits his partner during his serve in doubles? they argues that it wasn't but i thought i heard it was somewhere.

Thanks!!

Roforot
03-27-2004, 07:20 PM
Yes, it was your point regardless of where the server's partner was standing. If we were playing socially though, I wouldn't take the point.

chrisab508
03-27-2004, 07:30 PM
i wouldn't take it either, but this was turning our high school team try outs round robin, so we needed all the points we could get.. hehe.

chrisab508
03-27-2004, 07:47 PM
I had another question and so was reading this:
http://dps.altdc3.va.twimm.net/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_4198.pdf

and its says that if the serve hits the servers opponent that its a fault not my point..? so which is it? is it a fault or is it my point? im inclined to lean towards this link.[/url]

Roforot
03-28-2004, 04:21 AM
No offense, but that site you gave me is pretty tough to read through. It reminds me of a contract. Still I probably should print it out and keep a copy in my bag, for the time that a freak occurence happens. I did a google search w/ "tennis serve hit receiver's partner" and found the following:

http://www.usta.com/rules/default.sps?iType=924&icustompageid=4247

look at the 2nd question, and more importantly the answer. To paraphrase, if the serve hits the receiver or the receiver's partner before bouncing, serving team wins the point automatically.

Again, there's no condition here that the serve had to be landing in. Obvioiusly in these situations, the serve would probably be going out if the receiver could avoid getting hit.

jayserinos99
03-28-2004, 04:29 AM
i've hit my partner serving in doubles a few times in the back of the head. and every time i did that i always got that second serve.

gofederer
03-28-2004, 04:58 AM
i think it's a fault...
to my knowledge only servers can win a downright point when the ball hits a person, and that can't be the server's partner of course...

here's my question instead...
if receiver volleys a serve into the server's court is it good?

Stitch626
03-28-2004, 06:41 AM
on a serve you cant touch the ball at all before it bounces even if u can volley it in. in doubles if either of the receiving team touches it before the bounce it should be your point. Although once i hit a guy (a little south of the stomach) pretty hard so i didnt take the point. well usually i dont take it if it is obviosly going out.

Roforot
03-28-2004, 07:36 AM
Clarification for jayserinos99 and Gofederer, you're right, if you hit your own partner, it's a fault on a serve and loss of point if during rally. I misread the question and thought it referred to the receiver's partner. I apologize for the confusion.

Now an interesting rule twist I've heard, one the first receiving game,
the "net man" may actually return a soft serve after it bounces, citing that he is in actuality the "deuce returner" and was has the right to stand and return from anywhere. Now once a player has returned on the deuce court then he is obliged to return from that side and if his partner returns the ball it is a loss of point.

How useful would this devilish tactic be? I don't know. it might be funny though in a social game just to mess w/ some friends.

chrisab508
03-28-2004, 07:49 AM
hey roforot, where did you read that last thing? i couldn't find it anywhere...

Roforot
03-28-2004, 08:18 AM
Vandermeer once did a doubles video where he spent a few minutes talking about the rules and some neat tricks. This was one of them. I do not know if the rules have been changed since to make it illegal.