PDA

View Full Version : grips of tennis pros..

roddickslammer
07-22-2008, 09:41 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew the grips that players like Roger Federer and Nadal and andy roddick. for example semi western for forehand eastern for backhand....

babolat141
07-24-2008, 07:16 PM
federer-extreme eastern
nadal-western
andy roddick-semiwestern

ayoPATRICIO
07-24-2008, 07:26 PM
federer-extreme eastern
nadal-western
andy roddick-semiwestern

wrong...
federer-modified eastern/semi-western
nadal-semi-western (extremely cocked wrist)
andy roddick-semi-western

babolat141
07-27-2008, 03:01 PM
you seriouly think nadal uses a semi western grip if he used an extremely cocked wrist then he would have wrist injuries. And when i said extreme eastern i meant part semi western and part eastern. so I am right.

Ripster
07-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Nadal uses a full western.

JW10S
07-27-2008, 07:11 PM
federer-extreme eastern
nadal-western
andy roddick-semiwesternTrue......

ayoPATRICIO
07-27-2008, 07:22 PM
you seriouly think nadal uses a semi western grip if he used an extremely cocked wrist then he would have wrist injuries. And when i said extreme eastern i meant part semi western and part eastern. so I am right.

just look at which bevel his first knuckle is on..and just cause your wrist is cocked, it doesn't lead to injury just as long as your forearm/wrist can support it. he does occasionally use a full western grip..but on most forehands, it's a semi-western.

babolat141
07-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Most pros dont change their grip on their forehand for different surfaces and conditions. For Example-Nadal uses a western grip on clay but uses a semiwestern for everything else that is not true. Federer doesnt go to semiwestern on clay and then eastern on grass. It would be to much of a change to try and get used to a new grip every surface change.

ayoPATRICIO
07-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Most pros dont change their grip on their forehand for different surfaces and conditions. For Example-Nadal uses a western grip on clay but uses a semiwestern for everything else that is not true. Federer doesnt go to semiwestern on clay and then eastern on grass. It would be to much of a change to try and get used to a new grip every surface change.

you really just don't understand? i never said they change their grips depending on surface.
what i said what depending on whether the ball is low, high, fast, slow...they do ocassionally change grips to something a bit more comfortable..and looks like you really don't know what western is...i asked you to look at the bevel where his knuckle is..it's def. semi-western on a 4 1/4 grip.

Bogie
07-29-2008, 06:36 PM
..it's def. semi-western on a 4 1/4 grip.

very true.

2nd_Serve
07-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Babolat is right. But extreme eastern? I thought it was semi-western more closer to eastern.

babolat141
07-31-2008, 05:34 AM
well by extreme eastern i meant that his thumb nuckle is on the edge of the bevel so half eastern half semi western.

willgonase10
07-31-2008, 10:37 AM
you really just don't understand? i never said they change their grips depending on surface.
what i said what depending on whether the ball is low, high, fast, slow...they do ocassionally change grips to something a bit more comfortable..and looks like you really don't know what western is...i asked you to look at the bevel where his knuckle is..it's def. semi-western on a 4 1/4 grip.

Well first off, it is called improvising which everyone does but not to that extreme you are talking about.

Lastly, Nadal uses a full western grip. No one believes you anymore after you said Nadal uses a semi-western grip. :)

Cup8489
07-31-2008, 11:55 AM
actually, i read somewhere here that nadal recently started using semi-western, in order to get more pace (as if it was necessary) out of his forehand.

Willed10
08-07-2008, 11:28 PM
actually it was in ACE Tennis mag from England they were showing a frame by frame pictures and like they said he changed to a semi western to hit through the ball and more pace also, but this is referring to his regular forehand not his buggy whip shot that he hits

Bogie
08-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Lastly, Nadal uses a full western grip. No one believes you anymore after you said Nadal uses a semi-western grip. :)

look around you.....

wyutani
08-07-2008, 11:55 PM
sampras = eastern

m1stuhxsp4rk5
08-08-2008, 01:18 AM
http://tennis.com/yourgame/instructionarticles/forehand/forehand.aspx?id=129054

that can clear up any confusion on federer's grip