PDA

View Full Version : Soft and Durable String

turpin.josh
07-22-2008, 12:06 PM
After trying poly, I have decided to stick with multi's and synthetic guts. I tried Topspin Cyber Power and after hitting with it a month and a half, I am having huge wrist problems and my shots are flying out. What string is the softest and most durable and not expensive?

Valjean
07-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Prince's Synthetic Gut Multifilament ($7.50) right now.

In a synthetic gut, try Forten's Dynamix. If you like 16 gauge you can also order in Ektelon's Power Play (formerly Prince's Synthetic Gut Soft).

steve s
07-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Try a gut hybrid set up. Sure it cost more, but go with the softest set up and stop the pain.

turpin.josh
07-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. I was going to try Ektelon's Power Play but TW doesn't have it anymore. I have also read bad reviews of the Forten Dynamix due to durability. What is the most durable and soft string that isn't natural gut?

Ronaldo
07-24-2008, 07:59 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACPRINCE-PSF16.html Tough combination, soft and durable

Bengt
07-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Josh,
Check your email.

turpin.josh
07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Do synthetic's last longer than multi's? Is it wise to put a soft multi in the mains and a durable synthetic like PSGD in the crosses?

Valjean
07-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. I was going to try Ektelon's Power Play but TW doesn't have it anymore. I have also read bad reviews of the Forten Dynamix due to durability. What is the most durable and soft string that isn't natural gut?
Well, "durable" and "soft" are really uneasy partners; they're even pretty exclusive characteristics, in string terms. Maybe you'd have to take your chances and use string savers in a syn gut to stay with one, hoping that will prolong the string's life. There are tougher multis out there than PSGM too--Tecnifibre's newest one, XR3, comes to mind--but then you would be going up quite a bit in price. I'm wondering a little how often you will break your multi or syn gut and what your expectations may be about it.

By the way, where did you come up with those bad reviews of Dynamix; not here, evidently, for I did a search. You'd even have to be sure whoever found it fragile was looking for a soft alternative to poly just like you. It's not a familiar string to many too. And I'd suggest that if you ever consider Dynamix frail, you likely won't find a soft syn gut that can satisfy you.

In addition to PSGM, and short of XR3, there is still Tecnifibre's Multifeel, which--though it's another step up expense-wise--also has PSGM's solid core.

turpin.josh
07-25-2008, 08:22 AM
I use to use Sensation but I know there are better synthetic guts and multi's out there. I broke it every 4 months or so. I am not a big string breaker, it depends on the string really. I tried Prince Premier Softlex and broke it in a couple of days. If I use a top-of-the-line multi, such as one of Technifibre's in the mains, and a cross like PSGD, would that give more durability? What is the main reason to hybrid a mutli and synthetic?

Ronaldo
07-25-2008, 09:32 AM
I use to use Sensation but I know there are better synthetic guts and multi's out there. I broke it every 4 months or so. I am not a big string breaker, it depends on the string really. I tried Prince Premier Softlex and broke it in a couple of days. If I use a top-of-the-line multi, such as one of Technifibre's in the mains, and a cross like PSGD, would that give more durability? What is the main reason to hybrid a mutli and synthetic?

Need to cut it out after 2 mos. Thought the reason to add any soft string was comfort. Or just use a softer synthetic gut like Babolat Super Fineplay.

turpin.josh
07-25-2008, 12:56 PM
I was wanting to use a soft multi in the mains and a synthetic gut like PSGD in the crosses to save some money. Would I still get the softness this way even with the PSGD in the crosses?

Valjean
07-25-2008, 04:13 PM
1. Prince's Synthetic Gut Multifilament @ $7.50

2. Tecnifibre's Multifeel @ $9.00

These ought to be far more durable than Prince's Premier with Softflex and/or Sensation. You needn't bother to hybrid; it won't help enough and may hurt too when the multi frays prematurely under stress from the harder string.

goldenyama
07-31-2008, 05:07 AM
Kirschbaum Touch Multi - not cheap but crisp and comfy - soft without having the mushy feel of many other multis. I use it as the mains in all my sticks with cyberpower crosses. Stays playable until it breaks.

TheRed
07-31-2008, 05:28 AM
No one on the board seems to know this so I'll chime in. Head RIP control is a pretty durable soft strings...but use it in the crosses and your mains will last way longer. Why? the ridges in the rip control lock the mains down and prevent it from rubbing too much. I used RIP in the mains and TNT fat core in the crosses b/c RIP is the more durable string and got about 6 hours of hitting with it. I switched the hybrid around and ended up with a softer string bed and 8-10 hrs of hitting. I'm sure you can use any soft string you want in the mains.

Ronaldo
07-31-2008, 06:50 AM
No one on the board seems to know this so I'll chime in. Head RIP control is a pretty durable soft strings...but use it in the crosses and your mains will last way longer. Why? the ridges in the rip control lock the mains down and prevent it from rubbing too much. I used RIP in the mains and TNT fat core in the crosses b/c RIP is the more durable string and got about 6 hours of hitting with it. I switched the hybrid around and ended up with a softer string bed and 8-10 hrs of hitting. I'm sure you can use any soft string you want in the mains.

RIP Control is pretty soft. So why not use it as a full string bed?

TheRed
07-31-2008, 07:03 AM
RIP Control is pretty soft. So why not use it as a full string bed?

You could, but what I'm trying to say is that you could put a softer, more powerful string in the mains and not lose any durability. That's where the revelation is. I'm not losing any durability but gaining playability. That's not easy to do.

Ronaldo
07-31-2008, 07:57 AM
You could, but what I'm trying to say is that you could put a softer, more powerful string in the mains and not lose any durability. That's where the revelation is. I'm not losing any durability but gaining playability. That's not easy to do.

I understand now. Used RIP Control back-in-the-day and had to cut it out, lost significant tension before it broke.

superstition
07-31-2008, 08:47 AM
15 gauge Babolat VS gut.

Warn the stringer you won't accept a stringjob that has a white knot in it. Gut with a white knot will snap there.

goosala
07-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Head Fibergel Power lasted me a long time (2 months). Since it is in a POG mid that says a lot about its durability.

ezdude1970
07-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Need to cut it out after 2 mos. Thought the reason to add any soft string was comfort. Or just use a softer synthetic gut like Babolat Super Fineplay.

totally agree, after trying all different combinations, superfine for crosses is the best string for my game, no more tennis elbow, great feel very soft string. my set up topsping cf 17 1.2 mains, and babolat for crosses. lasts long time. i usually get them restrung around 25-30 hours of play anyway.

Ronaldo
07-31-2008, 12:17 PM
totally agree, after trying all different combinations, superfine for crosses is the best string for my game, no more tennis elbow, great feel very soft string. my set up topsping cf 17 1.2 mains, and babolat for crosses. lasts long time. i usually get them restrung around 25-30 hours of play anyway.

Had a reel of Super FinePlay and of Conquest. Advised anyone that used PSG to try these strings for a softer ride. IMHO, close to the high-priced Heineken on a Busch budget. T'aint Goose Island though.

Il Mostro
07-31-2008, 02:14 PM
I've been playing Excel Premium recently and have to recommend it even though the OP asked for an inexpensive string. This bears no resemblance to the older, mushy feeling Excel. Really, really nice. Comfort, control and a great sense of feel to it. I feel very much connected to my racquet with this stuff. A *must try* IMO.

Ronaldo
07-31-2008, 05:45 PM
I've been playing Excel Premium recently and have to recommend it even though the OP asked for an inexpensive string. This bears no resemblance to the older, mushy feeling Excel. Really, really nice. Comfort, control and a great sense of feel to it. I feel very much connected to my racquet with this stuff. A *must try* IMO.

That is the goal at least with less expensive Babolat strings, how it compares to Xcel.

2nd_Serve
07-31-2008, 09:41 PM
NRG is more durable than it's multifilament competition.

Joker
08-01-2008, 08:57 PM
NRG is more durable than it's multifilament competition.
Too bad the string dies on me before it breaks. It loses its feel pretty quick. :(

nCode747
08-01-2008, 09:04 PM
klipper same stuff as prince for 4.70

Ronaldo
08-01-2008, 09:17 PM
klipper same stuff as prince for 4.70

Which Prince?