PDA

View Full Version : Missed last cross help??

onkystomper
07-22-2008, 11:23 AM
So i basically have to redo the whole job or go and play.

I have an 18 x 20 pattern racket and was 4 inches short of string. If i go hit with this racket is it likely to damage the frame???

SW Stringer
07-22-2008, 11:29 AM

I have an 18 x 20 pattern racket and was 4 inches short of string. If i go hit with this racket is it likely to damage the frame???

If you're worried about not having the last cross installed, why not take a scrap piece of string and install the last cross. Or, don't worry and go play. I'm assuming you were able to tie off the 19th cross to complete an 18 x 19 pattern.

baek57
07-22-2008, 11:31 AM
ive seen people hitting without a last cross installed for the same reason. i cant say its good for the frame, only that ive seen people do it.

Zach
07-22-2008, 11:37 AM
It's not that terrible, but it's not that good either.

YULitle
07-22-2008, 12:01 PM
It's not going to affect play or racquet stability, really. Just hit with it, and try to measure better next time.

onkystomper
07-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys. I will just have to make do with the 18x19 pattern for this job. Just did not want the racket to explode in my hand as i hit a ball!!!

psp2
07-22-2008, 01:39 PM

If it's your personal racquet (not a "customer's"), then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

FYI, I always leave out the last bottom cross in my PS85/K90. I don't plan to hit the ball there. :)

YULitle
07-22-2008, 01:48 PM
If it's your personal racquet (not a "customer's"), then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

FYI, I always leave out the last bottom cross in my PS85/K90. I don't plan to hit the ball there. :)

Yes, good point. If it's a customers, I feel, it must be restrung.

onkystomper
07-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Do not worry guys, there is no way i could hand a racket over for money if the job was not done correctly! It is my own racket... only needed about 3 inches more string and i would have been fine grrr

jim e
07-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Do not worry guys, there is no way i could hand a racket over for money if the job was not done correctly! It is my own racket... only needed about 3 inches more string and i would have been fine grrr

if you had a starting clamp, you could have used that to bridge across an extra lenght of string to finish the job. It could have given you enough string to reach the tension clamp to pull the last string, if there was enough to put the last cross in.Some people just tie a knot to a scrap piece to make the string long enough to reach the tension clamp.I find the starting clamp the easiest.

dancraig
07-22-2008, 05:22 PM
if you had a starting clamp, you could have used that to bridge across an extra lenght of string to finish the job. It could have given you enough string to reach the tension clamp to pull the last string, if there was enough to put the last cross in.Some people just tie a knot to a scrap piece to make the string long enough to reach the tension clamp.I find the starting clamp the easiest.

Yes, and you can also do it with a floating clamp.

Richie Rich
07-22-2008, 07:25 PM
don't worry about the last cross, especially if it's at the throat. you'll be fine.

Zach
07-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Yes, and you can also do it with a floating clamp.

I've had lots of trouble trying to use floating clamps to patch strings. Which floating clamp do you think works the best dancraig?

dancraig
07-22-2008, 08:34 PM
I've had lots of trouble trying to use floating clamps to patch strings. Which floating clamp do you think works the best dancraig?

The only one I have used is the Klippermate floating clamp. You can tighten it up a little and it works perfectly. I must admit, I have not tried any other floating clamp.

YULitle
07-22-2008, 08:56 PM
^^^ Yeah, with flying clamps as a bridge on a final cross or a final short side main that doesn't reach, you can dial the tightness of the clamp almost all the way up, the string won't be in the string bed so a little crimp won't hurt anyhting. Must better than having it slip.

Ljubicic for number1
07-23-2008, 03:04 AM
My flying clamp is made by "vise grip" has worked perfectly on numerous occasions for this problem.

Motherwasp
07-23-2008, 03:42 AM
Ha, you think that's bad....when i got my MG Prestige MP's i didnt have any full sets of string so i ended up doing a job of 3 different strings. SPPP in the mains, Gamma Zo Tour in the top half of the crosses and Gamma liverwire in the bottom 8/9 crosses. It actually played quite well.

diredesire
07-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Ha, you think that's bad....when i got my MG Prestige MP's i didnt have any full sets of string so i ended up doing a job of 3 different strings. SPPP in the mains, Gamma Zo Tour in the top half of the crosses and Gamma liverwire in the bottom 8/9 crosses. It actually played quite well.

Where the heck did you tie off? The CAPs on the sides aren't exactly a cinch to enlarge ;)

Did you tie the strings... TOGETHER? :shock:

zapvor
07-23-2008, 11:49 AM
^^^ Yeah, with flying clamps as a bridge on a final cross or a final short side main that doesn't reach, you can dial the tightness of the clamp almost all the way up, the string won't be in the string bed so a little crimp won't hurt anyhting. Must better than having it slip.

thats happened to me a couple times. the clamp didnt quite on and it snapped. so loud :( good news is teh damage is on string that wont be installed so it doesnt matter

feyya
07-23-2008, 12:38 PM
It's not that terrible, but it's not that good either.

you just said something, without saying anything at all.

Motherwasp
07-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Where the heck did you tie off? The CAPs on the sides aren't exactly a cinch to enlarge ;)

Did you tie the strings... TOGETHER? :shock:

Haha, i put two knots through the larger tie off holes, it was rather 'improvised', but i really wanted to hit with it ;)

Bud
07-23-2008, 02:20 PM

If it bugs you stick it back in the machine, clamp everything back down, cut the crosses and redo just the crosses.

YULitle
07-23-2008, 02:29 PM
^^^ GASP! Blasphemy~!

onkystomper
07-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Ok so i took my 18 x 19 stringjob out tonight. after hitting about 30 balls i shanked one and the string snapped right near the tie off at the 19th cross....

don't know if it was due to the wrong pattern or just coincidence but this has not happened to me before :)