PDA

View Full Version : Comments on My Axe

joebedford
03-27-2004, 04:59 PM
I do not feel very knowledgeable about racquets in general, so I am curious to hear what the experts say about my choice (which I feel happy with, BTW). I play with a Babolat Pure Control. I string it with Babolat VS Team, strung tight. What general characteristics would you say this racquet has? What type of player would it benefit? What type of player would it not benefit?

Enquiring minds want to know. :wink:

cantaloupe
03-27-2004, 06:23 PM
in the wise words of Jules,

a bad *** motherf@#*er!!!

sorry couldnt resist....

Coda
03-27-2004, 07:08 PM
control, some spin, feel

brijoel
03-27-2004, 08:21 PM
back court banger racquet. it wasnt far up on my list for coming into the net, but groundies were always fun to take a nice cut at. decent flex, mediocre power, serves were ok, but it seemed to prefer spin serves a little more than flat, and nice control. i played this racquet for about 2 months and could never get fully comfortable with it at net, vollies werent bad necesarily, it just wasnt as good of feel at net as id want from a racquet.

TMB
03-28-2004, 05:46 AM
I agree with the comments-- good control, moderate power, better on spin serves, better on ground strokes...

I'd be interested to know what "strung tight" means to you. What tension are you using? What other tensions have you tried with the VS Team?

By the way, I added six grams (at 3/9 o'clock) to my Pure Control (100 sq in, 27 in. length), and the improvement in stability was huge. I much prefer the racquet with the added weight.

joebedford
03-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Hmm. I am NOT a back-court banger by any stretch of the imagination. What racquets are considered particularly GOOD for volleys, and what should one expect to give up in the trade?

To me, "tight" means as tight as recommended; in this case, 55 lbs. I have not tried other tensions. My racquet feels best to me right after it's strung, and doesn't the tension decrease over time anyway?

Also, isn't the basic equation "tight=control, loose=power"? Like most guys, I can hit the ball plenty hard...but I like for it to land in every once in awhile. :wink: One of the reasons I traded in my last racquet--a Hyper Hammer--for the Babolat was that I felt like the Hammer was for old ladies who couldn't swing their arms. (Donning flame-proof underwear.) Would any of you agree with that statement--that the Hyper Hammer is primarily a "power generating" racquet?

I have shied away from adding weight to any of my racquets for some reason. I think I'm afraid I'll spend all my time tweaking and won't have time to play. :oops:

Oh, and how about those mishits? Which racquet will eliminate those? :wink:

joebedford
03-28-2004, 07:01 AM
LOL! The word M-|-$-H-|-T-$ got censored in my last post, I guess because of the "word within the word". But how appropriate, because I yell "@#$%?" when I do one! :lol:

larrhall
03-28-2004, 07:03 AM
It's a very solid frame. There is a difference between 'feel' on volleys or other shots and performance. The Pure Control lacks feel, though strings can change that (like gut). Yet it is an effective volley frame for many. Many pro doubles players use it. One of the advantages of using a 'power' player's frame like the PC around the net is that it can scoop up half-volleys and low balls (and get them back) more efficiently than a super-touch, flexible, low-powered frame.