PDA

View Full Version : Cyberflash vs SPPP

B-rian
07-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Well... I've decided that I want to experiment with a couple new strings and try to find a replacement for luxilons which are not good for my budget and I'm trying to decide whether to string my Pure Storm with Topspin Cyberflash or Signum Pro Poly Plasma. I heard both of these strings were good but I'm leaning more towards the SPPP. Any opinions on these strings? Spin potential? Tension maintenance? Do these strings play similar to ALU Power Rough or BB Original? I'm going to be going for a full set up for these strings and I'm not really looking for a hybrid setup. I've already looked at nickb's poly thread and still can't figure out which of these strings to choose from. Any help?

Iguodala
07-22-2008, 07:51 PM
i've spent the last few days reading just about every thread in these forums because i'm getting new strings also (i just ordered new strings today to string in my custom Vantage, SPPP mains and KLIP Venom Xs). From what i've read both strings (SPPP and TC) are supposed to be extremely similar performance wise (good spin, avg power for a poly, good control). The main difference is feel. SPPP is much softer, while TopspinCyberflash is more crisp. So i would base my decision on pretty much that alone. Do you want soft, or crisp? I've also read that SPPP is supposed to have amazing tension maintenance compared to other polys. I'm guessing that TopspinCyberflash has pretty good tension maintenance also. Or if you REALLY can't decide, you can always go by color, orange vs silver xP.

B-rian
07-22-2008, 08:55 PM
i've spent the last few days reading just about every thread in these forums because i'm getting new strings also (i just ordered new strings today to string in my custom Vantage, SPPP mains and KLIP Venom Xs). From what i've read both strings (SPPP and TC) are supposed to be extremely similar performance wise (good spin, avg power for a poly, good control). The main difference is feel. SPPP is much softer, while TopspinCyberflash is more crisp. So i would base my decision on pretty much that alone. Do you want soft, or crisp? I've also read that SPPP is supposed to have amazing tension maintenance compared to other polys. I'm guessing that TopspinCyberflash has pretty good tension maintenance also. Or if you REALLY can't decide, you can always go by color, orange vs silver xP.

thanks alot you made my decision alot easier i think ill go with the SPPP for a softer feel and the tension maintenance

counterpuncher
07-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Aside from Luxilon I have used these two strings a fair amount. I would first try the SPPP because its feel is softer, tenison maintenance is slighly better and the colour combo will be good : )

If you find that the feel is too detached and mushy with the woofers and you want a crisp string bed to counter this, along with a touch more spin at the expense of some tension maintenance, then I would try Cyberflash.

hoodjem
07-23-2008, 05:07 AM
I would first try the SPPP because its feel is softer, tension maintenance is slighly better.

If you find that the feel is too detached and mushy with the woofers and you want a crisp string bed to counter this, along with a touch more spin at the expense of some tension maintenance, then I would try Cyberflash.

CP above is correct: if you want a soft string go with SPPP. If you want something crisper, go with CF.

I do not like SPPP. At my preferred tension, it goes beyond soft to feel mushy and dead. (In one hybrid with Forten Sweet, it was like three-day-old oatmeal. I cut it out before it could lose tension.)

I do like CF quite a bit, but don't string it at too high a tension. At high tensions it feels hard and boardy. At the right tension, it will feel crisp with some nice feel and trampolining, maybe close to Lux.?

B-rian
07-23-2008, 06:17 AM
btw do these strings go dead quickly like luxilons or pro hurricanes?

diredesire
07-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Well... I've decided that I want to experiment with a couple new strings and try to find a replacement for luxilons which are not good for my budget and I'm trying to decide whether to string my Pure Storm with Topspin Cyberflash or Signum Pro Poly Plasma. I heard both of these strings were good but I'm leaning more towards the SPPP. Any opinions on these strings? Spin potential? Tension maintenance? Do these strings play similar to ALU Power Rough or BB Original? I'm going to be going for a full set up for these strings and I'm not really looking for a hybrid setup. I've already looked at nickb's poly thread and still can't figure out which of these strings to choose from. Any help?

Which Luxilon are you basing your preference off of? BBO and BB ALU aren't SO close to make blind recs. if you really like ALU, the CF will probably be more your cup of tea. I think SPPP would be a little bit closer to the BBO, except more comfortable, and better tension maintenance.

Cyberflash is a pretty darn good clone for ALU, I would say comfort is improved, the ALU has the initial feel, slight spin increase, and slight control advantage. The tension maintenance on the CF is improved over ALU, but it's not the best out there.

SPPP is a very interesting poly, pretty smooth playing, lower powered, decent spin production, and the color is nice. I personally like the SPPP, it isn't too agressive of a string character, it seems to just perform without complaints, the ALU/CF to me seems to like to "add" character to the frame/feel, and I don't like that as much. However, if you're a big fan of ALU, I'd suggest trying it.

Both are pretty amazing strings in their own rights, so you can't go wrong with demoing a set of each. The CF reel cost is very good, so that is always a benefit ;)

btw do these strings go dead quickly like luxilons or pro hurricanes?
Both are improvements, although IMO SPPP has the advantage. IMO, all polys lose tension relatively quickly by design, it's just the FEEL that changes drastically throughout the life, and SPPP IMO changes feel the least. CF is an improvement on the above, too, but it does get pretty dead by the time it breaks or is time to cut it out.

BumperJeep
07-23-2008, 02:43 PM
I was actually deciding between buying a reel of CF 17 and SPPP, so I tried all the diameters of SPPP, and found that I liked SPPP 17 by far the most, I think thats the 1.23mm diameter. I LOVED both strings, but I liked CF 17 a tad bit more, and I bought a 72x ft reel of CF because I string for other people and CF is a great alternative to luxilon,

diredesire
07-23-2008, 03:31 PM
I was actually deciding between buying a reel of CF 17 and SPPP, so I tried all the diameters of SPPP, and found that I liked SPPP 17 by far the most, I think thats the 1.23mm diameter. I LOVED both strings, but I liked CF 17 a tad bit more, and I bought a 72x ft reel of CF because I string for other people and CF is a great alternative to luxilon,

That was my favorite diameter, as well.

B-rian
07-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Well I finally played with Cyberflash today but it wasn't on my own racquet i played wit my friend's head racquet and i liked it but i think i still want to try the SPPP. i think i'm going to string my spare racquet (Pure Drive) with Cyberflash and string SPPP on my main racquet (Pure Storm). Thanks everyone :)