PDA

View Full Version : Just learned how to string.. questions

Jackie T. Stephens
07-22-2008, 07:24 PM
How do I measure the string so I can put it on my racket for how much string that I need. I know you count the mains and the crosses. Someone please tell me how to count them to see how much string that you need for both mains and crosses.

YULitle
07-22-2008, 08:00 PM
There are a lot of ways but the tried and true way is to use a ruler or yard stick. You can find out how much you need at Klippermate's web site.
www.klipperusa.com

jonolau
07-23-2008, 06:13 AM
What I've done is marked on the edge of my desk 3 feet in one foot increments. So each time I need to measure out string from a reel, I just use these markings. Each foot is marked by a sliver of white paper that has been scotch-taped on the edge.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d183/jonolau/IMG_1619.jpg

Nellie
07-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Unless you are very "fruggle," I would suggest measuring 20 feet for each of the means and the crosses. You will end up throwing away 1 or 2 feet of string, but the stringing/knot tieing will be easy. Nothing worse than trying to save string and getting to the last cross and not having enough length to pull/tie.

diredesire
07-23-2008, 11:18 AM
If you are trying to save string (by stringing off a reel) it is a good idea to look up the pattern every time and measure the string out "exactly."

My rule of thumb (since I am not trying to squeeze an extra set out of a reel) is go with 18-20' on the mains (depending on head size & pattern) and 18' on the crosses. I don't run short unless there was a gross miscalculation on my part (in fact, I normally have a few feet left over across the entire string job).

A quick way to measure: Measure your arm span once, and estimate by using arm spans to measure.

For me, my arm span is a little over 5 feet (from pinched fingers about 5'6")
Pinched finger to opposite arm pit is ~3 feet. I don't often require lengths other than this.

jim e
07-23-2008, 11:36 AM
A normal racquet it 27 inches long.
Once it is mounted, I measure:
9 racquet lenghts for mains = 20.25 feet
8 racquet lenghts for crosses = 18 feet
Works for majority of racquets out there, is simple, and fast.

zapvor
07-23-2008, 11:46 AM
you can just mount the racket and pull the string over the racket for the number of mains and crosses. of course thats not exact. or just do 20 by 20. that should cover 95% of rackets.

Cup8489
07-23-2008, 12:10 PM

i do this exact same thing, except probably half a length shorter for the crosses..i just simply don't need 2 feet of extra feet to tie it off.

jim e
07-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim e

i do this exact same thing, except probably half a length shorter for the crosses..i just simply don't need 2 feet of extra feet to tie it off.

This makes a good starting point for someone starting out, as once you string a # you can make slight variations, depending on the racquet.

Jackie T. Stephens
07-23-2008, 02:38 PM
The way people have learned is pulling the string with a reel when mounted on the stringer. I use K Factor 90 and the string pattern is 16 X 19 does that mean I pull the mains for the reel 16 times and do the same with the crosses?

BumperJeep
07-23-2008, 02:39 PM
I measure by my arm span also, I'm 5'6, so I just do some math and convert it into arm lengths. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your height is equal to your wingspan, right

diredesire
07-23-2008, 03:33 PM
I measure by my arm span also, I'm 5'6, so I just do some math and convert it into arm lengths. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your height is equal to your wingspan, right

Ideally, yes, but it's just a "good enough" indicator.