PDA

View Full Version : String a Vantage racket

TyCobb
07-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Hi guys. I am new the the board, but have been reading it for a few weeks now. I recently purchased a Klippermate stringer and strung a Wilson T3 racket twice with no problems. I also just received a Vantage Racket. The code is VT231B. Specs are 18 x 20 pattern with 95sq" . I am having trouble stringing this racket. Vantage says to start at the Mains at the Throat, but there are 8 holes at the throat. I don't know how to start at the throat cause of that. So I just ignored it and started the mains at the Head. After about 4-6 tensions of the string (Klippermate 16 gauge Syn. Gut), the string snapped on me. I was confused since this hasn't happen to me before. So I tried again, and again the string snapped.

What could the problem be?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

TyCobb
07-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Ok. I tried again and now my claps are coming off when I tension. Could it be the claps that were breaking the string?

tennisfreak15347
07-23-2008, 03:40 PM
if it hasn't happened before, maybe its because of the racquet. It says to start at the throat, even though you dont know how its done. that might be the problem there, because there is a reason that instruction is printed there. other that... im sorry i cant be much help to you. im not much of a stringer.

ClayisFun
07-23-2008, 04:52 PM
to start at the throat just pick the middle two string holes and run the string through them and up to the corresponding center holes on the head. What type of string are you stringing? If your clamps are too tight they might be crimping the string and weakening it? Also, the rotational gripper on a klipper can cause kinks in some strings, which weaken the string. Hope that helps.

Eric4
07-23-2008, 05:22 PM
you cant start at the throat of a vantage with 8 holes, its impossible. its probably a mistake on vantage's site.

what tension are you string the racquet at?

ClayisFun
07-23-2008, 08:31 PM
well, if this is what his racquet looks like seems to me you can string it from the throat. http://www.vantagetennis.com/cat/racquet_zoom.php?rac=white-LBr

ambro
07-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Can you read his post and notice the difference between that racquet and the one he describes? The pictured frame has six holes at the throat, his has eight. You need to start a frame at the head if it has eight holes in the throat.

To the OP, it may be the clamps causing the break. Is the string breaking at a spot that was previously clamped? It is definitely not the string pattern, you are correct to start at the head. I wouldn't trust Klipper's string to be too high quality, so I'd try it with something more reliable such as PSGD and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, it could be a grommet that is nicking the string.

TyCobb
07-24-2008, 06:36 AM
Thanks for all the help. I think I am going to take it to a friend that has strung 1000s of rackets with his Klippermate and watch him do it.

TyCobb
07-24-2008, 06:38 AM
you cant start at the throat of a vantage with 8 holes, its impossible. its probably a mistake on vantage's site.

what tension are you string the racquet at?

The tension was 60 lbs, but after the first break, with the syn. gut 16g, I went to 57 lbs.

0d1n
07-24-2008, 06:42 AM
well, if this is what his racquet looks like seems to me you can string it from the throat. http://www.vantagetennis.com/cat/racquet_zoom.php?rac=white-LBr

When you choose to see the "bigger detail" that you're showing in that link, all rackets that I've configured have been pictures of the 90 sq inch one with the different color and grip. If you count the strings you will see it's a 16x18 (which is only available on the 90 sq inch one).
I also think it might be a mistake...that "start stringing @ throat advice" only applies to the 16 mains (6 holes in the throat) rackets probably.

origmarm
07-24-2008, 09:22 AM
I would tend to agree with Od1n. I seem to remember that my stringer did my 18*20 (which I don't have anymore unfortunately to check) and just started at the head. Given that he knows a lot about stringing (Wimbledon stringer) I reckon he probably got it right.

Eric4
07-24-2008, 12:42 PM
I would tend to agree with Od1n. I seem to remember that my stringer did my 18*20 (which I don't have anymore unfortunately to check) and just started at the head. Given that he knows a lot about stringing (Wimbledon stringer) I reckon he probably got it right.

its not physically possible to string it starting at the throat so yes, it must be strung starting at the head.

TyCobb
07-25-2008, 07:15 AM
I finally was able to get it strung. I will be sending a EMAIL to vantage to hopefully fix their "Start at the throat" issue. Thanks for all the support guys.

The racket plays great. Not really a fan of the Syn. Gut 16. I will probably look for a softer string.

origmarm
07-25-2008, 08:08 AM
its not physically possible to string it starting at the throat so yes, it must be strung starting at the head.

In which case he was definitely right :)

Sorry don't know much about stringing, have only done about 10 racquets in a pinch a few times. I know how to do a PSC6.1 and that's it for me unfortunately