PDA

View Full Version : Letting a racquet sit in a car...

tennisfreak15347
07-23-2008, 07:24 AM
if you let a racquet sit in a car, the stringjob goes bad due to the heat, right? Does it have any affect on the racquet too?

flash9
07-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Depends on how HOT the car gets. If the inside of the car does not get hotter then 100 degrees then the racquet should be fine.

Not a good idea to leave your racquet in a hot car, like you said it does tend to destroy the tension of the strings!

YULitle
07-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Don't do ... iiittttt!!!! *slow mo'*

Seriously. Don't do it.

Fedace
07-23-2008, 07:35 AM
80 degree outside can translate into 120 degree inside the car very quickly. it can melt the foams and weaken the graphite. but what about the cellphone, what happens if you accidently leave the cellphone inside the car for 2 hours??

Nellie
07-23-2008, 07:45 AM
I have cd's that have melted and bubbled in a car. I cannot image what it would do to the plastics holding together the graphite in a racquet having hundreds of pounds of pressure.

IceNineTX
07-23-2008, 09:47 AM
80 degree outside can translate into 120 degree inside the car very quickly. it can melt the foams and weaken the graphite. but what about the cellphone, what happens if you accidently leave the cellphone inside the car for 2 hours??

Anyone know the temp diff between inside the car and inside the trunk? I know the trunk is supposed to be much cooler, but have no details. During the spring my car would be really hot, but when I went to my trunk to get my tennis bag, it was nominally warm.

I'm curious, because my car sits at the Park and Ride all day. During the summer I have hesitated to leave my sticks in the trunk, which logistically isn't always the best if I want to play right after work.

Caloi
07-23-2008, 09:54 AM
I bring my tennis stuff with me every day to work as I play during lunch a few days a week. I usually leave it in the trunk as I don't really like bringing my tennis stuff up to my desk. I agree that my trunk doesn't seem nearly as hot as the interior of my car but haven't actually put a thermometer in there to see what the temperature gets up to.

If my racquet de-laminates one day I'll know that it was a bad idea, but for now I am just going to keep doing it. We've had 10 days or more of 90+ degree heat and I haven't noticed anything bad with the racquet. I'm also not all that sensative with the strings either. I'm sure the heat isn't good for them but I haven't noticed it yet. :shrugs:

IceNineTX
07-23-2008, 10:01 AM
If my racquet de-laminates one day I'll know that it was a bad idea, but for now I am just going to keep doing it. We've had 10 days or more of 90+ degree heat and I haven't noticed anything bad with the racquet. I'm also not all that sensative with the strings either. I'm sure the heat isn't good for them but I haven't noticed it yet. :shrugs:

If 100 degree heat is bad for the frame, then I'm not sure how anyone plays tennis in Houston in August. I'm sure it's easily 100+ on the hard courts during the day. And I'm pretty sure the trunk is cooler than that. I should just not worry too much about it and play.

CHOcobo
07-23-2008, 10:01 AM
i leave my racket in my car the whole time and nothing happened so far. still plays fine. over here in minn reaches about 90 sometimes and that well over 120 inside in just 5min.

i wanna leave it out but too much hassle bringing it with me to my car everything. i just wanna leave it in there just in case i get the chance to hit.

LawnChairGeneral
07-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Excessive heat in the car affects the strings more than the frame. I always bring my racquets into the office. The downside is that I sometimes forget that I brought them in and end up using a demo for my league matches! Stupid. :oops:

tennisfreak15347
07-23-2008, 11:47 AM
ah, i see. thank you everyone :]. No more leaving the racquet in the car for me.

flash9
07-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Excessive heat in the car affects the strings more than the frame. I always bring my racquets into the office. The downside is that I sometimes forget that I brought them in and end up using a demo for my league matches! Stupid. :oops:

Did the once - now I put my keys in my bag and now I can not leave without the bag!

Cup8489
07-23-2008, 12:46 PM
ack.

someone got mad at me, saying the stringjob i did was complete crap. after a short conversation, i realized it was actually because the racquet owner had left the frame in the passenger seat of their chevy malibu, in full daylight on a 95+ day, for 12 hours. the bed tension was something like 24 lbs. i told them never do it again, for they'll ruin the strings and frame.

fortunately, in high school, my final class's teacher let me put my bag in his lab storage room, which was always about 64 degrees.

a few times i started to play, and the string was a little tight, when he was lowering the temp for storage.

but no, never leave it in the car if you can help it. it kills the strings.

Fedace
07-23-2008, 12:48 PM
ack.

someone got mad at me, saying the stringjob i did was complete crap. after a short conversation, i realized it was actually because the racquet owner had left the frame in the passenger seat of their chevy malibu, in full daylight on a 95+ day, for 12 hours. the bed tension was something like 24 lbs. i told them never do it again, for they'll ruin the strings and frame.

fortunately, in high school, my final class's teacher let me put my bag in his lab storage room, which was always about 64 degrees.

a few times i started to play, and the string was a little tight, when he was lowering the temp for storage.

but no, never leave it in the car if you can help it. it kills the strings.

What about your cellphone ?? have you accidently left the phone in your car on a hot day and did it mess it up ??

jimbo525
07-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I think you can play out in the heat and not lose tension to fast because you have air flowing, but in the car the air is trapped inside and tends to heat pretty quickly. If this isn't true, then i gotta quit tennis because it gets over 120 on the courts for az .

YULitle
07-23-2008, 01:42 PM
What about your cellphone ?? have you accidently left the phone in your car on a hot day and did it mess it up ??

I have! It gets so baked. The screen is all sorts of screwy. Nothing is worse than extreme cold though. The whole operating system slows down.

kerxny
07-23-2008, 09:21 PM
I have! It gets so baked. The screen is all sorts of screwy. Nothing is worse than extreme cold though. The whole operating system slows down.

It's true. My cellphone's screen gets all screwy with the contrast. But then after I bring it in to the house and let it chill, it goes back to normal.

FloridaAG
07-24-2008, 04:27 AM
Unfortunately - sometimes there is no option - I try not to leave them in the car but if I am out of the office all day and hope to play that night without returning home first, there are not a lot of alternatives to leaving them in the trunk,