PDA

View Full Version : Observation from Roddick/Mahut Match

sub.dude
07-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Watching the Roddick / Mahut match yesterday I noted something I dont recall seeing. Mahut was wearing Lotto shorts & shirt with Nike shoes. I dont recall seeing guys (or girls) mix gear from shoe manufacturers. I'm guessing Mahut (ranked ~95) doesn't have the clout for a comprehensive endorsement deal and therefore makes due as best he can.

I think it would be fascinating to know how all the endorsement stuff works. I feature the top players get all the gear & money in the world while the journeymen (e.g. Mahut) just get by.

Richie Rich
07-23-2008, 04:22 PM
I think it would be fascinating to know how all the endorsement stuff works. I feature the top players get all the gear & money in the world while the journeymen (e.g. Mahut) just get by.

i doubt Mahut sells too much clothing so he's lucky to even get free clothes.

BreakPoint
07-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Mahut probably just gets free or discounted clothing and shoes. He wears Nike shoes because he obviously likes them better than Lotto shoes. Only the very top players get paid to wear anything. Donald Young being one of the few exceptions.

0d1n
07-24-2008, 07:33 AM
Watching the Roddick / Mahut match yesterday I noted something I dont recall seeing. Mahut was wearing Lotto shorts & shirt with Nike shoes. I dont recall seeing guys (or girls) mix gear from shoe manufacturers. I'm guessing Mahut (ranked ~95) doesn't have the clout for a comprehensive endorsement deal and therefore makes due as best he can.

Clement wears Lacoste clothing and Nike shoes as far as I know (he certainly did that during the Davis Cup match against Romania). Llodra was the only one who was also wearing Lacoste shoes as far as I saw.
Gasquet wears Lacoste clothing and Asics shoes. I've seen plenty of people with Barricades/Feathers who don't wear Adidas clothing...
It's more common that you would think..

el_guerrero
07-24-2008, 11:50 AM
I am from Argentina and know some pro players. The fact is that i.e. Lacoste have contract with some players and if they don't like shoes, they agree with some other Co (Nike, Adidas, etc.) and provide them to player. Player do not pay for shoes.

bsandy
07-24-2008, 11:50 AM
I bet he's still got Andy' MOJO in his back pocket, from the first round victory at the US Open, a few years back.

. . . Bud

mdjenders
07-24-2008, 02:29 PM
huh. that was gilles muller, not mahut.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
07-24-2008, 02:57 PM
The can be said about Grosjean, who wears Lacoste and for as long as I can remember has always wore Nike shoes. Andy Roddick wears Lacoste clothes and Babolat shoes, it guess it's more common than we think, just that we never pay much attention to it.

consistency wins
07-24-2008, 06:41 PM
The can be said about Grosjean, who wears Lacoste and for as long as I can remember has always wore Nike shoes. Andy Roddick wears Lacoste clothes and Babolat shoes, it guess it's more common than we think, just that we never pay much attention to it.

Clement did the same thing, although I think he switched to some Lacoste shoes recently...?

schwuller
08-21-2008, 02:36 PM
if you really want to see this in action, check out photos of Djokovic (adidas contract guy) sometimes wearing Nike's AirMaxBreatheCage 2's with the Nike swoosh and Nike symbols removed!

Jonnyf
08-21-2008, 02:40 PM

Mahut was previously sponsored by Nike (I think it was Wimbledon 05 he played Fed at Wimbledon decked all out on Nike)
I belive Lotto provide clothes to any ATP pro inside a limit who wants it.

hmwmai
08-21-2008, 03:31 PM
if you really want to see this in action, check out photos of Djokovic (adidas contract guy) sometimes wearing Nike's AirMaxBreatheCage 2's with the Nike swoosh and Nike symbols removed!
Yeah he did it at wimby this year... i couldn't believe it

SempreSami
08-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Well it's not like it mattered much for adidas' marketing, he got pwned by fellow adidas image leader Safin.

BreakPoint
08-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Well it's not like it mattered much for adidas' marketing, he got pwned by fellow adidas image leader Safin.
Yeah, the match result must have put a smile on the marketing execs at Adidas. See, Djokoic switches to Nike shoes and promptly loses to Safin wearing Adidas shoes in straight sets in the 2nd round, whereas, he got to the semis last year wearing Adidas shoes, just like Safin did this year. Can't make Nike look any worse. ;)

JW10S
08-21-2008, 06:56 PM
I am from Argentina and know some pro players. The fact is that i.e. Lacoste have contract with some players and if they don't like shoes, they agree with some other Co (Nike, Adidas, etc.) and provide them to player. Player do not pay for shoes.Not always. You'll find players who have contracts to wear clothes--and only clothes--for a certain brand. They will then have a separate contract for shoes that has nothing to do with their clothing contract. And don't assume that all the pros are getting paid to wear certain gear be it clothing or shoes. Some get paid, some get gear for free, some get gear at reduced prices and some have combinations of any or all of the above.

ag200boy
08-22-2008, 12:35 PM
roddick wears lacoste with babolat shoes right?

Dwhit
08-22-2008, 01:13 PM

No way?! I haven't seen this before.
Anyone have any pictures for evidence?