PDA

View Full Version : Luxilons vs. SPPP, Topspins and other co-polys

AT92292
07-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Do these strings really live up to the hype? Or are they just cheaper alternatives to Luxilon. I want to be able to find the best strings but I really feel that you get what u pay for in the long run. O and Ive tried Pro Supex strings and didnt like them nearly as much as ALU.

Serve_Ace
07-23-2008, 03:59 PM
luxillons live up to the hype IMO
i tried cyberflash it just wasn't the same

Eric4
07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
luxillons live up to the hype
this is true.

IMO people who say cyberflash is an all around better string havnt tried luxilon.

AT92292
07-23-2008, 04:27 PM
I think people are just wishful thinking trying to convince themselves that the string is better than Luxilon when it actually isnt

In)SpiRe
07-23-2008, 04:28 PM
BB Original and ALU Rough live up to the hype. ALU Power, IMO, does not. Suprising huh? Maybe just a bad day for me when I tested it out.

Cyberflash isn't a bad string but like stated above, cannot really be compared to Luxilon. I think it is a cheaper version though.

SPPP was too soft and I hated it (too mushy...).

counterpuncher
07-23-2008, 04:38 PM
I really feel that you get what u pay for in the long run.
Agree here. I tried just about all the ProSupex strings and while they were okay, I didn't like them anywhere near as much as my favourite Lux Ace.

After trying out at least 20 polys, I put Lux Ace in any racquet I purchase. If I get some forearm pain or it plays bad in that racquet, then I switch out for SPPP or Cyberflash (Cyberblue still waiting at home to be tried). These are the only poly/copoly strings that I have found that are comparable in a cost/benefit comparison to Lux.

AT92292
07-23-2008, 04:39 PM
I cant wait to try my Luxilon Ace should be getting in within the next few days

150mph_
07-23-2008, 04:44 PM
ace, timo, rough are superb strings... others not very good
i think flouro is good too never tried it

steve s
07-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Luxilon is very hard on the arm if you are 30 +. These are very stiff strings. Beware!!

150mph_
07-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Luxilon is very hard on the arm if you are 30 +. These are very stiff strings. Beware!!

or in my opinion if you are 30+, keep staying fit, continue to maintain muscle on your arms, and hit in the sweetspot rather than hitting late or with bad form...

luxillon is only bad when you hit late or with bad form... or if your arm lack muscle

nickarnold2000
07-23-2008, 08:30 PM
or in my opinion if you are 30+, keep staying fit, continue to maintain muscle on your arms, and hit in the sweetspot rather than hitting late or with bad form...

luxillon is only bad when you hit late or with bad form... or if your arm lack muscle
I would say that your advice is good for most polys in general and not just luxilon for 30+ players.

[d]ragon
07-23-2008, 09:15 PM
i love alu power rough and ace (ace abit more cuz it lasts abit longer and feel better). i didnt like cyberflash. it was pretty stiff

welcome2petrkordaland
07-23-2008, 09:33 PM
want kick? try kirschbaum pro line II at either 1.15mm or 1.2mm and you'll get it. great tension maintenance (not like p2, supersmash, or spikey), very good power, nice comfort, and by the reel it's not the ripoff that Lux, as we all know, is. just a thought.

counterpuncher
07-23-2008, 10:00 PM
What is the spin potential of Pro-Line II in 1.15 as opposed to some of the other strings mentioned (any Lux, SPPP or Cyberflash) ?

I have always been wanting to try it, but others have warned that although the power and comfort are good, the level of spin is very poor ?

Do you know if it goes dead as quick as Competition ? As I loved it for the first 5-6 hours and then it went dead. Something I had never experienced with any of the Lux strings in such a short time frame.

Toxicmilk
07-23-2008, 10:04 PM
I've had bad experiances with Luxilon...but maybe I'll try them again later..

welcome2petrkordaland
07-23-2008, 10:15 PM
hmmm. . . spin potential of pro line II? clearly it depends on one's (your) stroke production. i play with ultra top so my perception of a string's spin potential could be a bit flawed since i naturally come so much over the ball off both sides.

but overall, i have used lux. rough, power, original, timo 1.1, 1.7, 1.25?, original rough, technifibre pro red code, babolat ph, phtour, kirshbaum compet., supersmash, pro line II, sppp 1.17 and 1.23, to name most and i truly think kirshbaum pro line II has more KICK than any poly/copoly i've used.
it has great tension maintenance, great power, and great feel, too.

i'd be using it now if i didn't have tennis elbow. i stay away from polys now.

consistency wins
07-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Give Signum Pro Poly Megaforce 1.19 a try. GREAT bite on the ball. Great tension maintenance and good feel and touch. And when you crank on a ball with enough racket speed-it just drops in at the very end.

I tried this string a few weeks ago and have it in all my sticks Gosen OG Micro in the crosses. True bliss.

hoodjem
07-24-2008, 05:19 AM
Cyberflash isn't a bad string but like stated above, cannot really be compared to Luxilon. I think it is a cheaper version though.

SPPP was too soft and I hated it (too mushy...).

I agree with this: SPPP is too soft and mushy IMO. CF is much better, and a great value string for what is is. It's certainly not bad. But I have not tried Lux , so I cannot compare with the hype.

hoodjem
07-24-2008, 05:32 AM
After trying out at least 20 polys, I put Lux Ace in any racquet I purchase. If I get some forearm pain or it plays bad in that racquet, then I switch out for SPPP or Cyberflash.

CP,

Is Lux stiffer than Cyberflash? Do you ever hybrid Lux Ace?

PED
07-24-2008, 11:56 AM
One key factor is: the racquet that you play with. Some strings work very well with some sticks but not with others.

I used to play with an APDC and a PDR. With those sticks, Big Ace, Cyber Power and the softer co poly's were fantastic.

I now use the lower powered and softer Pure Storm tour and I don't like the softer co poly's as much. I gravitate to stiffer strings like SP Megaforce and CF on the cheaper end and alu rough and as of yesterday-big banger original.

I think lux is worth the hype but the AG 300 should work quite well with a wide variety of setups.

diredesire
07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
IMHO, Lux Timo was my absolute favorite, although it was especially harsh. I've felt "magic" before, and most of the other co-poly strings don't live up to the hype, IMO.

Some of my all time favorites:

Lux Timo 17g
Polyfibre TCS 16L
SPPP 17g
Topspin Poly Polar 17g (although this one is a bit of an anomaly)
Gosen Polylon SP 17g (this too)
Lux ALU

I'd rate Cyberflash under these, even though it IS a great string, just not necessarily for me. CyberPower was similar, but more powerful, muted and slightly more comfortable. All the things I wasn't looking to improve.

AT92292
07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
One key factor is: the racquet that you play with. Some strings work very well with some sticks but not with others.

I used to play with an APDC and a PDR. With those sticks, Big Ace, Cyber Power and the softer co poly's were fantastic.

I now use the lower powered and softer Pure Storm tour and I don't like the softer co poly's as much. I gravitate to stiffer strings like SP Megaforce and CF on the cheaper end and alu rough and as of yesterday-big banger original.

I think lux is worth the hype but the AG 300 should work quite well with a wide variety of setups.
yes a lot of strings feel good with the 300 however I think I might be switching to the 200

clarky
07-24-2008, 01:38 PM
The Lux BBO is up to the hype, its an awesome string, highly recommend it

nickb
07-24-2008, 01:49 PM
ALL the luxilon strings live up to the hype. I agree with PED...you might have always liked big banger but hate it in a new stick. There is a reason why pros love the stuff...its magic for the first 3-4 hrs....they dont care when they re-string every few games...even the gut users change rackets all the time anway so it makes no difference for them.

Nick

AT92292
07-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Hey nickb when you strung up the Luxilon Original did u use it in the same tension as u did the ALU

counterpuncher
07-24-2008, 04:01 PM
CP,

Is Lux stiffer than Cyberflash? Do you ever hybrid Lux Ace?
Yes, from softest to stiffest of those mentioned I would rank them :

SPPP 1.18 < CF 1.20 < Lux Ace < Timo 1.10 < Alu

The two hybrids of Ace I tried were with Monotec Supersense (Ace Touch) which was nice, lower powered, less spin, more control and softer and the second was with X1 bio-phase. The second felt fantastic, spin was good but it felt like a rocket launcher and I lost all confidence on anything other than full blooded swings. The X1 frayed also quite quickly and moved around - I forgot how much this use to frustrate me before I switched to all poly.

nickb
07-25-2008, 03:54 AM
Hey nickb when you strung up the Luxilon Original did u use it in the same tension as u did the ALU

I string a bit tighter with Original...for most people the same tension is about right.

Nick

hoodjem
07-25-2008, 05:17 PM
The two hybrids of Ace I tried were with Monotec Supersense (Ace Touch) which was nice, lower powered, less spin, more control and softer and the second was with X1 bio-phase. The second felt fantastic, spin was good but it felt like a rocket launcher and I lost all confidence on anything other than full blooded swings.

Don't want a rocket launcher, but I do want some power and lots of spin.

I thinking of a hybrid of BB Ace with Wilson Sensation or Extreme.

PED
07-26-2008, 10:09 AM
I used to hybrid BB alu rough with sensation crosses and always loved it. I used it in an APD and had no control issues at all. The sensation gave some nice feel to the stringbed but I still got plenty of spin.

ollinger
07-26-2008, 10:13 AM
I have SPPP 17 guage and Luxilon Timo 17 in identical PK 15 PSEs currently. The Luxilon is just vastly superior for spin and pop. The SPPP seems to be holding tension better.