PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Racquets???

Boxspringhog
07-23-2008, 07:51 PM
I started to play in ernest three years ago. I play at least once a week and practice at least thrice a week. I am 37yo and not quite as svelt and limber as I once was. In any case, I have been playing with a few vintage raquets that I like but wanted to know if anyone thought a newer racquet would be better for me. What I have now is a Prince Graphite Pro 90, a Prince Original Comp, and a Wilson Profile. All are in good condition but again, just wondering if a newer racquet would help. Thanks for any advice.

GasquetGOAT
07-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Nothing wrong with those classics. Plenty of people here still using pogs and older wilsons.

Rorsach
07-23-2008, 11:55 PM
And vintage Dunlop, Prince, Donnay, Snauwaert, Yonex and Puma racquets.

0d1n
07-24-2008, 12:00 AM
I started to play in ernest three years ago. I play at least once a week and practice at least thrice a week. I am 37yo and not quite as svelt and limber as I once was. In any case, I have been playing with a few vintage raquets that I like but wanted to know if anyone thought a newer racquet would be better for me. What I have now is a Prince Graphite Pro 90, a Prince Original Comp, and a Wilson Profile. All are in good condition but again, just wondering if a newer racquet would help. Thanks for any advice.

I don't think a "newer" racket would necessarily help...but having at least 2 of the same model would ! If you can get an identical backup to the racket you like the most out of the ones you have ... then you don't need a newer racket, but if you can't get a backup ... I would say demo some new ones.

meowmix
07-24-2008, 04:53 AM
All of the rackets you listed are easy to get a backup to. Search on the auction site and you'll find plenty of reflexes that go for around 35 shipped.

Boxspringhog
07-24-2008, 05:21 AM
As far as faving a good pair, in my mind the Comp and the Pro 90 are close enouogh. But, always keep my eye out for a companion to one of them. Eventually I think I will graduate to a POG when my skill level seems improved enough. Thanks to all for the advice.

Zielmann
07-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Another thing to consider is that frames do "expire". You won't really notice it when you're playing with them, but if you managed to play with an unused version of any of them, I'd sure you'd find that the "new" one feels different than the old one.

But you've got the right idea. The POG is a great stick. Heck, give it a try now and you might find that you can handle it already, given the frames you're currently using.

Boxspringhog
07-24-2008, 08:34 AM
I have gone looking for a used POG on **** and I thought it would be easy to identify by the cross beab but it seems that there were a number of "POG" type Prince rackets. Some sell for $20 or so and some are $60-$80. How can I identify the real vintage POG?