PDA

View Full Version : Outsole Guarentee

Swengo86
07-24-2008, 05:15 AM
Some adidas and nike shoes have a six month outsole guarentee. I'm not sure if other brands do this or not. Anyways, I was wondering why some have it and some don't? Are the ones that have it made with a tougher outsole or are they just higher priced shoes and you are actually paying for that guarentee in the price of the shoe? It'd be nice to wear out a pair of shoes every couple of months and get a brand new pair!! :)

nytennisaddict
07-24-2008, 07:15 AM
IMO, the outsole guarantee is a marketing tool.

In general I think marketing (including pricing) in some ways, is similar to playing high percentage tennis. In In tennis you want to get the right balance between risk/reward. A shot that has 100% chance to win, but only 10% chance of success (eg. aiming for corner lines from the baseline) is equal to a shot that has a 10% chance to win, but 100% chance of success (eg. pushing the ball high into the middle of the court, hoping your opponent will miss). Similarly, shoe companies are looking for the "sweet spot" in pricing that will attract the maximum number of folks to buy a product. They could sell it just above cost, and make a profit by selling high volume, or they make the same profit by selling a product at an extremely high markup with much lower volume. Like in tennis, they want to find the medium "sweet spot".

The outsole guarantee factors into the equation, because it makes a shoe much more attractive to buy ("hey, i can get a 2 for 1 deal on these shoes"... or "these shoes must be more durable if they have a guarantee", etc...). There's a team of actuaries that have probably figured out that only a percentage (likely small) # of folks actually follow through with the hassle of returning the sneakers for the guarantee (similar to how most folks never send back the rebate advertised on some products), or just never wear out the shoe. Combined this factor with careful initial pricing, they probably figured they could make an additional 10% (or whatever), by marketing their sneakers this way.

I don't think guaranteed sneakers are any more durable that non-guaranteed sneakers. I personally wear out sneakers in about 3 mos on average, guaranteed or not (I've tried at least a dozen different kinds over the years).

That said, I always buy guaranteed sneakers that fit, and almost always return them back for another pair,.. but I have forgotten or been too lazy on occasion, and when that happens, I think, "the actuaries were right again" :)

Swengo86
07-24-2008, 08:47 AM
haha yea. I think my next pair will be one of those because I'm going on about a month and a half with my current shoes and the soles are already showing lots of wear. Then I get a new pair free! It's a smart choice if you go through shoes often

dr325i
07-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Exactly -- a calculated marketing tool.
You have 6 months from the date you purchase -- no matter if you wore them all that time or not...
I am sure adidas is not losing any money with those programs when selling us a $100 shoe that costs them $10 to make...

Mark Vessels
07-24-2008, 09:42 AM
baaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllsssssssssssssssss

Swengo86
07-24-2008, 10:05 AM
baaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllsssssssssssssssss

what does that have to do with anything we are talking about?

Bud
07-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Some adidas and nike shoes have a six month outsole guarentee. I'm not sure if other brands do this or not. Anyways, I was wondering why some have it and some don't? Are the ones that have it made with a tougher outsole or are they just higher priced shoes and you are actually paying for that guarentee in the price of the shoe? It'd be nice to wear out a pair of shoes every couple of months and get a brand new pair!! :)

How worn do the Adidas soles (Barricade 5) have to be to qualify for the guarantee? Mine are worn smooth at the toe... but they don't have a hole in them.

crazytennis
07-24-2008, 10:59 AM
ALso, you don't keep on getting free shoes. You get 1 free pair and then you don't get the receipt , so you can't exchange that when you go through that in less than 6months.
So, if you wear your shoes out in less than 6 months, you only get 1 more pair for free.

Swengo86
07-24-2008, 11:02 AM
ALso, you don't keep on getting free shoes. You get 1 free pair and then you don't get the receipt , so you can't exchange that when you go through that in less than 6months.
So, if you wear your shoes out in less than 6 months, you only get 1 more pair for free.

That's stupid! If they are going to guarentee the first pair they should for every pair after that too! Atleast one pair free is better than 0 pairs free though

zapvor
07-24-2008, 01:40 PM
That's stupid! If they are going to guarentee the first pair they should for every pair after that too! Atleast one pair free is better than 0 pairs free though

wow. i remember someone else posting this. do you realize how stupid your post is? think about it.

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-24-2008, 04:45 PM
wow. i remember someone else posting this. do you realize how stupid your post is? think about it.

Why wouldn't shoe companies want to provide people with free shoes for life? It makes sound business sense.

Aeropro master
07-24-2008, 05:35 PM
i think someone on this site claims that he got 7 free shoes because he kept on sending them in. However, for everyone else, you only get one free replacement.

FloridaAG
07-25-2008, 04:22 AM
In my experience, the cushioning etc. is shot long before the sole will ever wear out - so the whole thing is irrelevant to me. Playing in packed out shoes with no cushioning will destroy my knees and legs so I have to switch shoes long before the sole wears out.

Tennisplayer92
07-25-2008, 05:59 PM
I think I was the "idiot who posted that". Thanks buddy. Thanks. Just kidding. Anyway, think of it like this. You make a company for electronics and have a statement saying that if you break the headphones within the 2 years then you will replace it. Sure if you break the headphone and send them a pair they'll accept it but what if the irresponsible fool keeps breaking them and sends them into you for a new pair. The warranty doesnt restart after you've broken them and send them in. Makes sense now? Big companies with big time performance don't come cheap.