PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is the status of Pro Kennex

atatu
07-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Went into the big Golf/Tennis chain store last night and there was a rack of PK Ionic frames that were heavily discounted, I was interested in the Ki 10 but I don't want to get hooked on a racket if the company is going under. Anyone have the official word ? BTW there were no Redondo frames on the rack.

shell
07-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Well, I don't have any more info. than you, but after seeing your post I went and clicked "add to cart" on every PK frame to see the availability. The results - a shocking lack of inventory for all but the kinetic 5G and the Redondo. Many of the others had limited grip sizes avail. or only 1 or 2 left.

Now, this may mean absolutely nothing. But I thought it was interesting.

Zielmann
07-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Went into the big Golf/Tennis chain store last night and there was a rack of PK Ionic frames that were heavily discounted, I was interested in the Ki 10 but I don't want to get hooked on a racket if the company is going under. Anyone have the official word ? BTW there were no Redondo frames on the rack.

Could just mean that the particular store you went to isn't going to carry the frame anymore. I wouldn't take it as a particular indication that the whole brand is going under. And TW's stock could just be because they haven't gotten a shipment recently.

Oh yeah, don't shop for tennis racquets from chain stores anyhow. They never have a good selection for people who are actually serious about the game. And prices are kinda high, too. Their "sale" frames are often still considerably higher than what you can get them for online.

krchawaii
07-24-2008, 11:05 AM
I am on the Pro Kennex Elite Team for racquetball and from my understanding PK as a whole is doing fine. I know racquetball the company is getting better at this moment. As for tennis, I'm going to assume it's getting better though the VP of Pro Kennex said that right now he has no access to the tennis department for PK USA. With that said, I know PK as a whole company is doing fine, I just think they are re-building you could say, their tennis department. I do hear that they are coming out with new racquets for sure.

Loco4Tennis
07-24-2008, 11:05 AM
ive sent them several emails inquiring about my racquet, never got a reply
email botht the reps mentioned
it would be nice to find information the their racquets, they seem to be just suporting their lattest models and old discontinued ones they forget about, not good
i looked everywhere for their grommet strips for my racquet that need to be replaced, but nothing so far

shell
07-24-2008, 11:10 AM
I am on the Pro Kennex Elite Team for racquetball and from my understanding PK as a whole is doing fine. I know racquetball the company is getting better at this moment. As for tennis, I'm going to assume it's getting better though the VP of Pro Kennex said that right now he has no access to the tennis department for PK USA. With that said, I know PK as a whole company is doing fine, I just think they are re-building you could say, their tennis department. I do hear that they are coming out with new racquets for sure.

Thank you. That is good to hear.

ollinger
07-24-2008, 11:47 AM
If you like a racquet, what do you care what's doing with the company. I'm using the 15 PSE now and have enough grommet sets to last until my debility. The company, incidentally, is doing business and just remade their website, usually a good sign. The site indicates a new line of racquets to be released in conjunction with the US Open.

nocab
07-24-2008, 11:51 AM
atatu,
I live in Austin as well. At the store you mentioned they had a redondo 98 for a few months. It kept getting discounted until the price said 99.99. I really wanted to try this frame out and figured it would keep going down in price. One day I just couldn't take it and went to buy it. When they rang it up the lady said, oh wow! it's on 19.95. I couldn't believe it. I just bought a brand new redondo for under $20!

atatu
07-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Wow, thats amazing. As to the earlier post about not buying from chain stores, I generally only buy from TW, but for this particular frame, the difference is 50%, I am wondering if TW will be discounting them also.

Il Mostro
07-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Pro Kennex screwed themselves years ago when they went the mass merchandise route. This is one of the reasons most pro shops will not touch them. Add the squeeze on all "fringe" manufacturers form the larger companies, and the future does not look great. They may hang around for a while, but that's about it.

Il Mostro
07-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Wow, thats amazing. As to the earlier post about not buying from chain stores, I generally only buy from TW, but for this particular frame, the difference is 50%, I am wondering if TW will be discounting them also.

TW will discontinue them because PK has done it again. Screwed their few distributors by dumping product at mass merchandisers for a quick buck. History repeats itself.

TW Staff
07-24-2008, 04:41 PM
For those interested, we have good stock of the Redondo Mids and MPs again:
ProKennex Heritage Type C Redondo Racquets 139.95
Info at: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=KTCR

Chris, TW

fridrix
07-24-2008, 07:57 PM
atatu,
I live in Austin as well. At the store you mentioned they had a redondo 98 for a few months. It kept getting discounted until the price said 99.99. I really wanted to try this frame out and figured it would keep going down in price. One day I just couldn't take it and went to buy it. When they rang it up the lady said, oh wow! it's on 19.95. I couldn't believe it. I just bought a brand new redondo for under $20!

:shock:......

Zielmann
07-24-2008, 08:42 PM

I only said not to shop at chain stores, just cause they never have a good selection. Feel free to buy from them if the price is right. But shopping online will show you your full range of options.

adams_1
07-25-2008, 01:04 AM
atatu,

I... I think I want to BE YOU.