PDA

View Full Version : Need Stringing help with Hybrids

wong209
07-24-2008, 12:11 PM
I wanted to try a new hybrid out with my racket but my coach says he couldnt do it because my racket is weird with the grommets.(I have a Prince O3 White).

Is there any special way of doing it or is he doing something wrong?

Someone plz help.

wong209
07-24-2008, 05:52 PM
i mean the tie offs not the grommets

dork2tennisstud
07-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Some racquets are not designed for hybrid jobs. Because you need two sets of string, instead of one, you have to double back through 4 grommets in order to tie knots instead of 2. Some racquets don't have enough grommets that are big enough to allow this.

If you look at your racquet, I'm sure you can tell which grommets are big, which are small, and which are small but you might be able to squeeze a string through for the purposes of tying a knot.

I string racquets, and I can usually still manage to pull off a hybrid string job in these types of racquets, and I haven't found any negative effects, yet. It is a pain though. I wish all racquets would just be designed for hybrid jobs.

Bud
07-25-2008, 09:59 AM
I wanted to try a new hybrid out with my racket but my coach says he couldnt do it because my racket is weird with the grommets.(I have a Prince O3 White).

Someone plz help.

i mean the tie offs not the grommets

Your coach is nuts. You can always find tie-off points for mains and/or crosses.

07-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Your coach is nuts. You can always find tie-off points for mains and/or crosses.

Some rackets only have 2 tie-off holes. 1 at the head and 1 at throat so yeah its impossible to do 2 piece unless you enlarge a grommet which can be done in 2 seconds

Bud
07-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Some rackets only have 2 tie-off holes. 1 at the head and 1 at throat so yeah its impossible to do 2 piece unless you enlarge a grommet which can be done in 2 seconds

Your statement about 2 tie-off holes may be correct... but any grommet can be used to tie off or start. Use the grommet with the least resistance that won't interfere with any additional stringing.

07-25-2008, 10:10 AM
but any grommet can be used to tie off or start.

Only tie off holes. AKA enlarged grommets!!!

Bud
07-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Only tie off holes. AKA enlarged grommets!!!

Not true. With most older racquets, you don't/didn't have the luxury of the factory installing flared/tie-off grommets for you. You had to flare them yourself or use the grommet with the least resistance to push the string through, then tie the knot.

tennisdarren
07-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Instructions for a two-piece job are printed on the frame.

Bud
07-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Some racquets are not designed for hybrid jobs. Because you need two sets of string, instead of one, you have to double back through 4 grommets in order to tie knots instead of 2. Some racquets don't have enough grommets that are big enough to allow this.

If you look at your racquet, I'm sure you can tell which grommets are big, which are small, and which are small but you might be able to squeeze a string through for the purposes of tying a knot.

I string racquets, and I can usually still manage to pull off a hybrid string job in these types of racquets, and I haven't found any negative effects, yet. It is a pain though. I wish all racquets would just be designed for hybrid jobs.

Exactly. Nice explanation.

Bud
07-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Instructions for a two-piece job are printed on the frame.

He stated that the racquet is meant for one-piece stringing.

IceNineTX
07-25-2008, 10:23 AM

Someone plz help.

I just did an O3 White hybrid this weekend. It was my first try at an O3. The frame has all the instructions printed on there. Granted, I found the O3 White is kind of a pain in general due to some really tight holes, o-ports, and a tough first cross to reach with the clamp, but he should have had no issue.

bluescreen
07-25-2008, 06:13 PM
i strung an o3 white with a two piece job a couple weeks ago. honestly, it couldnt have been easier. the directions r printed right on the grommet holes. your coach doesnt know what he's talking about.

tennisdarren
07-30-2008, 12:51 PM
He stated that the racquet is meant for one-piece stringing.

O3 whites have 2 piece and 1 piece instructions printed right on the frame.

Short side and tie offs are marked for 1 piece and 4 tie offs are marked for 2 piece. Skips are marked by small dots.

A trick I have used is putting the tail of the string through the bottom cross tie off before you tension the last 2 bottom crosses, it goes through much easier.