PDA

View Full Version : What racket should I use if I always use topspin for shots?

RCizzle65
07-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Right now I use a Babolat Pure Drive Roddick plus, but I've heard many good things about the Babolat AeroPro Drive, especially since Nadal uses mostly topspin and uses that racket. I have a western forehand and I use all topspin with my forehand, and right now my strings are strung at 60 lbs. and is the premade Pro Hurricane Tour + VS strings. Would the AeroPro Drive be a good racket to try out?

Charlie_Boy
07-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Well, just throwing this out there. Nadal creates the top spin, not his racket.

I just recommend to demo what's out there and see what you like the most.

i8myshirt
07-24-2008, 07:25 PM
You would get the spin but would you get the depth? What's wrong with your current racket?

babolatisduhbomb
07-24-2008, 07:26 PM
yes i use babolat aeropro drive my fravite racquet i have 3 you should get one the roddick is only good for serves and vollys i thought but i would try the string babolat vs luxion alu power

RCizzle65
07-24-2008, 07:42 PM
There's nothing wrong with it I was just looking at some racket reviews and it caught my interest.

bluescreen
07-24-2008, 07:52 PM
imo, "interest" doesnt warrant dishing out money for a whole new racquet. u have nothing to lose by trying out the aeropro drive, but dont go crazy and switch without a demo.

quest01
07-24-2008, 08:22 PM
If you want more spin on your shots then the APDC would be a good racquet to try out.

2nd_Serve
07-24-2008, 11:42 PM
I always thought the Pure Drive had good spin. THe Aero pro does have good spin as well, but I don't think it's worth dishing out 200 dollars. Unless of course you demo and you really like it.

kanjii
07-24-2008, 11:50 PM
APDC is a great racquet for me. The PDR+ was a bit too heavy and I had shoulder problems, but the serves were awesome. APDC, being lighter and a little less stiff, helped and gave me the topspin control I was looking for, not to mention some easy moonballs :) i definitely recommend you demo this stick. Western forehand and 1hbh is what I play with..and the slice is great too. Good serving stick, but a little tough to pound down the line with.

Masterblaster
07-25-2008, 02:40 AM
i used to use a PD like yourself and have recently switched to the yonex RQiS1. It is a lot less powerful than the PD and it has given me tons more spin.....my balls fall a little shorter now but they are more consistent. I suggest giving it a demo

trevorist
07-25-2008, 10:52 AM
imo the two racquets generate a similar amount of spin the only difference i could tell between the two was the feel. you should try a smaller grip size if you're looking for more spin. it makes it easier to generate.

backhand
07-25-2008, 03:42 PM
OK, I'll play Devil's Advocate here. First, if you "always" hit with topspin, you already have that arena under control, don't need a stick that helps you hit weird amounts of it. Go for 18x20 and more precision, still use that topspin you apparently have cold. Plenty of evidence out there that topspin is not dependent on string density, and I don't see Nadal needing a flexy oversize. He could hit heavy topspin with a broomstick handle, I hope you realize.

Second, anytime you depend on one kind of stroke, as you move up you'll be eaten alive by opponents who refuse to feed you what you like. Odds are that if you utilize topspin for everything, you'll be seeing more and more flat low shots, chips, and slices. Again, note that Nadal actually has quite a range of shots in his bag, and is even decent at the net. (He's also, umm, probably more athletic than you are and can get to those slices and chips like no one else on earth.)

Shifting out of DA mode, I like Princes better than Babs for massive topspin because they can produce plenty at a greater variety of head speeds. Since for other competitive reasons you wouldn't want the POG mid - which can outspin, with pinpoint control, any other racquet ever made - my call would be the Ozone Pro Tour, or of you need more oomph, the Speedport Tour with hybrid holes/ports. Now you may return to your regularly scheduled Babolat love-in...

Mr. Hokey
07-26-2008, 03:29 AM
you should look for racquets with western grips, semi-western might work too... but be safe and buy some western grips.

:roll:

Robbie_1988
07-26-2008, 03:37 AM
LOL. I remember that funny day when someone was totally naive and asked where they could buy a "western grip". Frikkin LOL.

IanRadical
07-26-2008, 05:50 AM
i thought babolats create lots of topspin:)

fuzz nation
07-26-2008, 07:15 AM
You've probably got a terrific racquet for making the spin you want on your shots and if you're curious about some other ones, I highly recommend the demo program at TW. Knowledge is power and if you sample a few other frames, you can understand the gear a bit better and get a good grasp of what determines a good fit for you.

Your question is sort of a trick one because it's hard to tell what will be a nice fit for you - a lot of it is subjective. The other thing is that your spin production also depends a bit on your stroke style. If you're more of a "modern game" hitter, you may see great results with that Rafa racquet because it's rather stiff with only moderate weight. If your strokes have a traditional edge to them, you may see huge spin from a racquet with some significant heft and a lot of flexibility. The new MG Radical and the Fischer M Pro 98 look like a couple that could make healthy spin, but there are plenty more. No downside to the demos!

Rysty
07-26-2008, 07:46 AM
LOL. I remember that funny day when someone was totally naive and asked where they could buy a "western grip". Frikkin LOL.

I thought everyone knows, that you can buy them in those shops that sell car tires. I have seen them advertising "Continental", so I'm pretty sure they have the western ones too! :)

ChocolatePie
07-26-2008, 08:11 AM
i thought babolats create lots of topspin:)

Indeed they do.

The Pure Drive gives such a huge spin.

yasson
07-26-2008, 10:24 AM
i liked the Apd for topspin if u use topspin just get something with a open string pattern

s7evin
07-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Almost any ~12oz ~16/19 frame.
BTW i dont know about you guys but with APD i just couldnt hit flat balls:)

Toxicmilk
07-26-2008, 12:30 PM

agreed. but uh...just don't buy a racquet without a demo first..I learned the hard way :P

Il Mostro
07-27-2008, 04:05 AM

The ability to hit flat, topspin, slice, etc. is a product of your strokes and swing path not the racquet. Some sticks/strings produce more spin than others but at the end of the day it comes down to skill and ability. There is no magic bullet.

Guamanian G
07-27-2008, 10:45 AM
I think the only differences between the PD and the APDC are:
1) The APDC has an aeromodular throat, giving less air resistance = more topspin
2) The APDC is lighter

I have an apdc myself and i love it.. still working on getting more depth

RCizzle65
08-03-2008, 09:05 AM
I would like to use the demo program, but I use a 1/4 grip and my game gets hindered a bit using a 3/8, I took a stab at using the 3/8 Roddick racket then buying it right after, I'm lucky I'm doing good with it.

wyutani
08-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Right now I use a Babolat Pure Drive Roddick plus, but I've heard many good things about the Babolat AeroPro Drive, especially since Nadal uses mostly topspin and uses that racket. I have a western forehand and I use all topspin with my forehand, and right now my strings are strung at 60 lbs. and is the premade Pro Hurricane Tour + VS strings. Would the AeroPro Drive be a good racket to try out?

its the technique mate'...

phoenicks
08-03-2008, 11:09 AM
U can have the best equipment to optimize your racket head speed and spin, but if your swing path and swing speed is not up to it, then there's no point in getting this best equipment, you still need to work your way.

However, if your swing speed and path is mature and would like to find a stick that can further enhance the spin, then this is the right time for you to search a stick that optimize your swing style.

babolatchaznike
08-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Babolat Aeroprodrive cortex.