PDA

View Full Version : Need your help, please...

consistency wins
07-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Today, I was given a set of Ashway Crossfire to try out (18x16). I read another thread in which some people recommended stringing the mains in the 40's. There was some great advice in there--but no one mentioned what sticks they were using the strings in.

So, I'm using MG Radical MP's, usually string my sticks with signum pro poly megaforce 1.19 at 56 in the mains and gosen OG micro 16 in the crosses just the same.

I'm trying to find a tension that would give similar feel and playability when converting to Kevlar. It will be my first time playing with Kevlar and would hate to blow a set of strings by stringing too high or too low and have to cut them out after three strokes.

So, anyone using MP's with an 18x20 pattern and using Kevlar--please offer some advice. I'll probably string them up tomorrow afternoon if I can get some good info off here.

Thanks in advance :)

consistency wins
07-24-2008, 10:08 PM
bump. no one plays with kevlar around here?

Loco4Tennis
07-24-2008, 10:15 PM
ive never used kevlar, but what ive read is that you should string it 5% less than poly since its supposetobe much stiffer
since you used poly at 56, try stringing at 51 or 52, the crosses, you could possible still keep them at 56lbs and see how that goes for you
switching strings is always tricky, specially a major change like yours, and also how the strings play on your racquets, thats another very specific feel
chances are your not gonna like the first string setup, but thsi will give you a basis for the next racquet to tighten or losses the strings, to your feel,
hope that helps you a bit

consistency wins
07-24-2008, 10:25 PM
ive never used kevlar, but what ive read is that you should string it 5% less than poly since its supposetobe much stiffer
since you used poly at 56, try stringing at 51 or 52, the crosses, you could possible still keep them at 56lbs and see how that goes for you
switching strings is always tricky, specially a major change like yours, and also how the strings play on your racquets, thats another very specific feel
chances are your not gonna like the first string setup, but thsi will give you a basis for the next racquet to tighten or losses the strings, to your feel,
hope that helps you a bit

Thanks. I'm really curious as the package says 15-20% lower for the mains with the crosses at normal tension. That would be 46-47lbs in the mains and 56 in the crosses. Just seems odd. Would hate to deform a stick due to the print on a package....

Loco4Tennis
07-24-2008, 10:43 PM
i have a rule of thumb after a bad experience i had,
i do not like to have the crosses or the mains too far from 5lbs difference
i once strung a racquet with the mains 10lbs more than the crosses, it turned the racquet round shaped from its original oval shape, the racquet i was using was a soft frame (alluminum mosttly) racquet, but i can also see issues with graphite racquets overtime
if i were to string the kevlar at 46 or 47 as you mentioned, i would string the crosses at possibly 52lbs, just to stay close

consistency wins
07-25-2008, 07:03 AM
i have a rule of thumb after a bad experience i had,
i do not like to have the crosses or the mains too far from 5lbs difference
i once strung a racquet with the mains 10lbs more than the crosses, it turned the racquet round shaped from its original oval shape, the racquet i was using was a soft frame (alluminum mosttly) racquet, but i can also see issues with graphite racquets overtime
if i were to string the kevlar at 46 or 47 as you mentioned, i would string the crosses at possibly 52lbs, just to stay close

Thanks, my friend. I was thinking last night about going 48 and 52 without any prestreching and see what happens. I do appreciate your thoughts and seeing as the MG Rads are a flexible frame, I didn't want it looking like a Prestige Mid when it's not supposed to....

Thanks again.

Loco4Tennis
07-29-2008, 08:41 AM
"consistency wins", so,, have you had a chance to string your frame?
if so, how did it feel?
is kevlar the string for you?
what setup and tension did you end up stringing at, and are you gonna have to change it a bit or this a good setup for you?