PDA

View Full Version : Question for Yulittle.. My prestige is deformed?

Buffon#1
07-24-2008, 08:35 PM
I have 2 MG prestige pro, one is strung with Lux BB alu pwr rough 55 lbs and one I strung it myself w maxim touch at about 58 lbs. It was my second stringing job ever w/ a gamma x-2 and today i noticed the racket head is kinda deformed ( its rounder and the whole racket is shorter by 2mm). Its seems that the mains is pulling too hard that it makes the head rounder compared to the other one. I asked my hitting partner and he agrees that one is rounder and shorter than the other. But so far it hits fine..

I should mention that the lux was strung by stringer with one piece and the maxim touch is in two piece

Am I exagerating or is it possible 3 lbs difference in tension could result in a slightly deformed head? Should I cut the maxim touch and try restring it again? Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!

pro_staff
07-24-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm not YULitle but I'll try to help anyways. :P

The tension probably isn't the issue here. I'm guessing that the racket with lux was strung on a 6-pt mount stringer. The Gamma X-2 is a 2-pt mount which can lead to rackets deforming. Make sure that the racket is secure before you start stringing. I also string on the Gamma X-2 and I've never had a problem with the racket deforming. This is because I spend a lot of time making sure my racket is snug on the mount and that it can't slip while under tension.

Return_Ace
07-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Actually, not wanting to say pro_staff is wrong, but there have been many cases on the forum about tensions in the mains shortening rackets by a few mm.

Richie Rich
07-25-2008, 03:24 AM
2mm is nothing. but be careful to mount the frame properly and securely - especially on a 2 pt mount machine.

wilsonsir12
07-25-2008, 08:07 AM
just the next time you string make the crosses a few pounds tighter and it should help

NoBadMojo
07-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Head racquets are notorious for squatting down like that having nothing to do with 2 point stringing machines. next time the strings break or are cut out, note if it restores itself to full length and shape..they usually do

Bud
07-25-2008, 08:53 AM
I have 2 MG prestige pro, one is strung with Lux BB alu pwr rough 55 lbs and one I strung it myself w maxim touch at about 58 lbs. It was my second stringing job ever w/ a gamma x-2 and today i noticed the racket head is kinda deformed ( its rounder and the whole racket is shorter by 2mm). Its seems that the mains is pulling too hard that it makes the head rounder compared to the other one. I asked my hitting partner and he agrees that one is rounder and shorter than the other. But so far it hits fine..

I should mention that the lux was strung by stringer with one piece and the maxim touch is in two piece

Am I exagerating or is it possible 3 lbs difference in tension could result in a slightly deformed head? Should I cut the maxim touch and try restring it again? Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!

The tension probably isn't the issue here. I'm guessing that the racket with lux was strung on a 6-pt mount stringer. The Gamma X-2 is a 2-pt mount which can lead to rackets deforming. Make sure that the racket is secure before you start stringing. I also string on the Gamma X-2 and I've never had a problem with the racket deforming. This is because I spend a lot of time making sure my racket is snug on the mount and that it can't slip while under tension.

With no respect to Yulitle, there are many others on the forum, with stringing experience, that can help with your issue(s).

2mm is really nothing to be concerned about. If you strung the one racquet on a dropweight (as opposed to a lockout), the stringbed will be a bit stiffer (assuming same string). Don't cut the string out for the small difference you're noticing. The racquet is not being harmed.

Bud
07-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Actually, not wanting to say pro_staff is wrong, but there have been many cases on the forum about tensions in the mains shortening rackets by a few mm.

Absolutely.

Bud
07-25-2008, 08:55 AM

This is true while on the machine and constrained (at two points). But, once pulled off the machine, the head will readjust.

Bud
07-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Head racquets are notorious for squatting down like that having nothing to do with 2 point stringing machines. next time the strings break or are cut out, note if it restores itself to full length and shape..they usually do

Again, right on the money. This is especially true with larger headed and/or more flexible frames. One of my PT280's was noticeably rounder with the mains strung 5 pounds heavier than the crosses.

Richie Rich
07-25-2008, 12:05 PM

Again, right on the money. This is especially true with larger headed and/or more flexible frames. One of my PT280's was noticeably rounder with the mains strung 5 pounds heavier than the crosses.

even on the newer models? i know the older models (PC classic, 600, etc) were prone to the head being soft. i haven't heard anyone having issues with the i/lm/fxp/mg versions

NoBadMojo
07-25-2008, 02:01 PM
even on the newer models? i know the older models (PC classic, 600, etc) were prone to the head being soft. i haven't heard anyone having issues with the i/lm/fxp/mg versions

I dunno about the Microgels because I havent seen this firsthand, but I suspect some of them do. Some of the LM's and FP's I have personally seen, and think the radicals are the most notorious and that's already a rounder shaped racquet. oddly, I recently strung up a FP Prestige MP which was a pros racquet (am told it is a PT630mold w. real Flexpoints) and this one was the opposite. I got it unstrung and it seemed short so i checked it out and it was...when I strung it up, it went the other way and elongated to full length and I didnt do anything to stretch the frame (which is easy to do).

Buffon#1
07-26-2008, 04:29 AM
ah so there is nothing to worry about? I will be careful mounting the racket next time

Thanks for all the help guys..

zapvor
07-26-2008, 07:42 AM
is thte stringer certified??? mg prestige pro calls for 2 piece job.

rockbox
07-26-2008, 08:11 AM
is thte stringer certified??? mg prestige pro calls for 2 piece job.

The prestige pro supports both. This is why the bottom grommet is marked tie-off main even though there is no way to tie off a main there in a two piece job.

zapvor
07-26-2008, 04:19 PM
The prestige pro supports both. This is why the bottom grommet is marked tie-off main even though there is no way to tie off a main there in a two piece job.

oh. now you knowi am not certified haha

Lindsay
07-27-2008, 05:46 AM
Head does not warranty any frames strung 1 piece. All their stringing instructions are for 2 piece. Its better on these frames to string 2 piece because of weaker points on the bottom half of the frame. I know Yonex is the same way, Dunlop might be as well. Although stringing it 1 piece probably won't cause any damage, I would do it 2 piece to be safe.

PROTENNIS63
07-27-2008, 11:57 AM
I have had a similar problem before. I would check the mounting as that is most likely the cause.

Caloi
07-27-2008, 06:41 PM
To avoid another thread relating to this, how much of a distortion does it take to be alarmed? I strung my 200 plus today for the first time ever and it came out roughly 1/4"-3/8" shorter than my other racquet. I noticed when I took the hold-down-clamps off my racquet was loose. I don't know how to make it tight apparentley because I spent a good 15 minutes trying. It's as if by stringing the mains it was pulling the racquet to make it loose. Hopefully I can get a good answer here so as to avoid another thread.

Your knowledge is greatly appreciated since this was my first time stringing.

Richie Rich
07-28-2008, 02:51 AM
To avoid another thread relating to this, how much of a distortion does it take to be alarmed? I strung my 200 plus today for the first time ever and it came out roughly 1/4"-3/8" shorter than my other racquet. I noticed when I took the hold-down-clamps off my racquet was loose. I don't know how to make it tight apparentley because I spent a good 15 minutes trying. It's as if by stringing the mains it was pulling the racquet to make it loose. Hopefully I can get a good answer here so as to avoid another thread.

what machine are you using?

if the racquet is loose even with the clamps applied you probably didn't tighten the 2 posts at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock enough. is properly mounted the frame should not be loose before or after stringing.

adams_1
07-28-2008, 03:08 AM
With no respect to Yulitle, there are many others on the forum, with stringing experience, that can help with your issue(s).

I take it you meant no disrespect? :shock:

NoBadMojo
07-28-2008, 04:11 AM

what machine are you using?

if the racquet is loose even with the clamps applied you probably didn't tighten the 2 posts at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock enough. is properly mounted the frame should not be loose before or after stringing.

With some stringing machines, the mounts will become loose in the process of stringing especially with the first few mains. So even if you secured the racquet fine initially, it could work its way loose in the stringing process. It is always a good idea to pull about 4 mains and check to see if the mounts have loosened..string 4 more mains and check again..after that, things should be ok.

Even with doing that, some Head frames will squat down even when mounted properly and checked in the process..this happens as soon as you remove the racquet from the machine