PDA

View Full Version : Which hole to tie the knot? YUlitle, help please.

pro_staff
07-24-2008, 10:12 PM
I have a question for YUlitle (or anyone who can answer) about his ATW stringing pattern WITHOUT a starting clamp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RSFu0XhStQ). Right before you start the crosses, you mentioned that if the racket has even number of crosses, you start with the 1st cross, and if odd, you start with the 2nd. My racket has even number of crosses so I start with the 1st cross and just do the last main at the end. But do I tie off that last main at the same place that I would usually tie the cross on a racket with odd number of crosses? That seems like a lot of crossing over...Help please.

Loco4Tennis
07-24-2008, 10:29 PM
just reviewed the video and where you tie off is not mentioned, see what your racquet has for this
i dont like it when i cross over too many strings, so if its more than 3 than its too much IMO
keep it simple, find a hole that not occupied and that you can use and tie it there

pro_staff
07-25-2008, 04:28 PM
So I can tie off pretty much anywhere?

dancraig
07-25-2008, 04:41 PM

I tie off at the nearest enlarged grommet.

Loco4Tennis
07-25-2008, 11:38 PM

if you cant find a way to tie off on the designated hole (the widest on that section), than you are gonna have to find a next best thing, and thats a whole near by

next time you do this racquet, widen the hole a bit more so this will not happen again, the proper owl or pathfinder tool will help on this issue, i dont have a pathfinder tool yet, but i know i would like one for this same reason, ive been able to use the owl that i do have to assist on this situations

Loco4Tennis
07-28-2008, 10:34 AM

i would not be correct if i simply said "yes", but i think you can do more damage to the grommet, string and racquet if you try to force it without using the proper tool, than if you use a grommet hole thats near by

i have seen new "Head" racquets that have specific stickers that indicate where a tie off hole is, which would imply that not using it to tie off would damage the racquet, so like i said above, do your best to use it, if you dont have the right tools for stringing, this issue will come up for you often, get them when you can, they really do help

i would really like to know as well, how much damage i am doing to a racquet when i dont tie off on the tie off holes, i would be more concerned on the damage to the frame and not so much to the grommmet itself, because does do get stretched as well

YULitle
07-28-2008, 12:45 PM
All good answers! ^^^^

Use what works. :D Make it as close as possible.