PDA

View Full Version : Question lowering weight / SW K90

plus
07-25-2008, 01:33 AM
If I exchange the 15L strings for 17L, and if I exchange the leather grip for a synthetic one, how much will this influence the relatively high SW of the K90? Would you notice these chances?

SystemicAnomaly
07-25-2008, 02:15 AM
The thinner strings might make more of an aerodynamic difference than a weight or SW diff. I suspect that the effect on how easily you can accelerate the racket will only be slight.

Return_Ace
07-25-2008, 02:23 AM
Changing strings for a thinner gauge and a synthetic for a leather won't change swing weight by much.

spkyEngrish
07-25-2008, 03:03 AM
Keep in mind that switching grips will lower static weight, but also make the K90 more head heavy.

0d1n
07-25-2008, 03:18 AM
Changing strings for a thinner gauge and a synthetic for a leather won't change swing weight by much.

Even 5 SW points matter over the course of a long match, and I would guesstimate that those changes would take away somewhere between 5-10 sw points.

s7evin
07-25-2008, 08:08 AM
You can trim the grommets, handle, buttcap...
You can probably lose 20g.

Zielmann
07-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Don't think it would do a whole lot. And as somebody mentioned already, getting rid of the leather grip will reduce weight in the handle, making it more head heavy, which will likely increase SW. And I can't imagine the difference in mass from 15 to 17 gauge would even be noticeable.

In order to lower both, you'd have to get rid of mass in the hoop, which is not easy, if at all possible. Your best bet is to actually try adding weight in the handle to decrease SW, as this is actually more important to how heavy it feels than static weight.

psp2
07-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Don't think it would do a whole lot. And as somebody mentioned already, getting rid of the leather grip will reduce weight in the handle, making it more head heavy, which will likely increase SW. And I can't imagine the difference in mass from 15 to 17 gauge would even be noticeable.

In order to lower both, you'd have to get rid of mass in the hoop, which is not easy, if at all possible. Your best bet is to actually try adding weight in the handle to decrease SW, as this is actually more important to how heavy it feels than static weight.

There are so many wrong information in your post that it's almost laughable.

Zielmann
07-25-2008, 09:56 AM
I guess I can't say anything from experience. But i know that reducing the weight/sw of a racquet is one of the hardest customizations to make.

And why didn't anybody attack the other guy who said removing the leather grip would make it more head-heavy? If you remove weight from below the balance point while leaving the weight above it the same, the balance point will move toward the unmodified end. Simple physics.

As for my last paragraph, I know that the OP said he wanted to reduce the weight. But the thing that makes a racquet feel heavy when you play is the SW, not static weight. Go use a super head-heavy frame that's 10 oz and tell me that you aren't more fatigued from that than you are form using a 12 oz frame that's really head light.

Oh, BTW.
There are so many wrong information in your post that it's almost laughable. Should be written:
There is so much wrong information...

BreakPoint
07-25-2008, 10:46 AM
I guess I can't say anything from experience. But i know that reducing the weight/sw of a racquet is one of the hardest customizations to make.

And why didn't anybody attack the other guy who said removing the leather grip would make it more head-heavy? If you remove weight from below the balance point while leaving the weight above it the same, the balance point will move toward the unmodified end. Simple physics.

As for my last paragraph, I know that the OP said he wanted to reduce the weight. But the thing that makes a racquet feel heavy when you play is the SW, not static weight. Go use a super head-heavy frame that's 10 oz and tell me that you aren't more fatigued from that than you are form using a 12 oz frame that's really head light.

Oh, BTW.
There are so many wrong information in your post that it's almost laughable. Should be written:
There is so much wrong information...
You cannot lower the swingweight by adding weight to a racquet anywhere. Likewise, you cannot increase the swingweight by removing weight from a racquet anywhere.

Adding weight to the handle will change the balance to be more head light but the swingweight will not decrease. It will either stay the same or increase slightly.

Likewise, reducing weight in the handle will change the balance to be more head heavy but the swingweight will not increase. It will either stay the same or decrease slightly.

SlapShot
07-25-2008, 10:47 AM
It sounds like the stick is a bit much for you to me.