PDA

View Full Version : Any advantges to 10-sided Fox (Bosworth) frames

pennc94
07-25-2008, 05:44 AM
Has there been any study that discusses the merits of the 10-sided Fox (i.e. Bosworth) frames?

blackfrido
07-25-2008, 06:00 AM
I don't know, they just play great!
I have four that I play not often. I was thinking to post two for sale if interested.

pennc94
07-25-2008, 06:25 AM
I don't know, they just play great!
I have four that I play not often. I was thinking to post two for sale if interested.

They are so great you want to part with them?!?!?

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-25-2008, 07:59 AM
They are so great you want to part with them?!?!?

Blackfrido has a bad habit of parting with fantastic frames. He sold his Puma Davis Cup frame a while back, and I was furious when I found out because it was one of the coolest frames I'd ever played with.

Blackfrido, control your urges and hold onto your treasures!

Safin777
07-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Blackfrido I'm interested in the Bosworth. Can you send me an email at servevolley@dada.net if you're willing to sell them? Thanks

anirut
07-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Blackfrido has a bad habit of parting with fantastic frames. He sold his Puma Davis Cup frame a while back, and I was furious when I found out because it was one of the coolest frames I'd ever played with.

Ah .... so the Davis Cup is a great frame eh ... I'm lucky to have gotten one for $7 with cover.

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Ah .... so the Davis Cup is a great frame eh ... I'm lucky to have gotten one for $7 with cover.

You are lucky. Post a picture of it if you could so people can see just how righteous it is. Now only is it visually stunning, it hits like a much larger frame with a generous sweetspot and good power.

blackfrido
07-25-2008, 10:46 AM

Klatu, you're right! I've got in the past some cool frames that for no reason got rid off :oops:
The Puma is particulary one of the coolest, I bought it almost brand new with originasl string job with the Puma logo still there (sold it after playing couple of matches).
I like to buy them (not to demo it), experiment, play with them and after that let them go for better hands if the price is reasonable.
I can't keep all them because of many reasons too extensive to list here!

blackfrido
07-25-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm here playing last year with the Puma Davis Cup

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=129762&page=101

blackfrido
07-25-2008, 11:04 AM
these actually are the only pics I could find;

http://i35.tinypic.com/2nqtkc0.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/vey9t2.jpg

blackfrido
07-25-2008, 11:38 AM
ANOTHER COOL FRAME;

http://i30.tinypic.com/21aztzr.jpg

>>>>>>>FOR SALE<<<<<<

pennc94
07-30-2008, 09:31 AM
So nobody knows of the merits (if any) of the 10-sided Bosworht frames?

blackfrido
08-04-2008, 04:41 AM
I played over the weekend with the 10 sided Fox, "love it"
what a solid racquet, excellent for a baseline game as well as volleys.

Not planning to sell them, thanks for your offers!

blackfrido
08-04-2008, 05:08 AM
these are the ones;

http://i33.tinypic.com/2h669n5.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/29p6mhu.jpg

Safin777
08-04-2008, 05:26 AM
What are the specs of the racquet?

blackfrido
08-04-2008, 05:30 AM
mine is 12.1 oz, aprox. 12 inches head light.
Head size maybe 93 sq.inches, it's a flex racquet but not much. I would say kind of RDX 500 flex.

I hope this helps!

blackfrido
08-04-2008, 06:41 AM
same racquet, different graphics
http://i33.tinypic.com/21946x4.jpg

blackfrido
09-12-2008, 06:12 AM
So nobody knows of the merits (if any) of the 10-sided Bosworht frames?

maybe this person has the answer for you;

http://i36.tinypic.com/1z341td.jpg

ClayisFun
09-12-2008, 07:27 AM
same racquet, different graphics
http://i33.tinypic.com/21946x4.jpg

That is one of the sweetest paint jobs ever put on a racquet.

To the OP: why don't you call up bosworth tennis and ask. Just google the name and their website will come up. I'm sure they'll tell you why they use that shape to make custom racquets.

Power Player
09-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Didn't Brad Gilbert play Fox?

blackfrido
09-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Didn't Brad Gilbert play Fox?

I believe he did at some point (or Bard)

orangettecoleman
09-12-2008, 08:29 AM
I believe Brenda Schultz Mccarthy uses that bosworth frame, or used it very recently. I think that was the frame she was using in an article in tennis magazine on net play from a couple years ago.

blackfrido
09-12-2008, 08:40 AM
you are correct about that

pennc94
09-12-2008, 09:13 AM
So does the shape do anything different or serve some specific purpose that a standard shaped frame cannot do (or do as well)?

blackfrido
09-12-2008, 09:26 AM
So does the shape do anything different or serve some specific purpose that a standard shaped frame cannot do (or do as well)?

I guess it does, the racquet plays really nice taking in consideration that is a 20 year old racquet (at least).
If I were you I'd spend couple of bucks buying one from the big auction and check on your own.

retrowagen
09-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Warren Bosworth's ethos for the bluesky racket designs he engineered were primarily to come up with a shape that was a compromise of frame strength, equalized string lengths amongst the mains and then amongst the crosses (as much as possible), and "playability" of shape (inwardly-bent shapes such as the Rossignol F-series and the Lacoste composites are good examples of the equalized string length design brief being taken in an impractical direction).

He began with the Dyno head shape for Snauwaert, an early Yonex-like "Isometric" shape, approximately 25% larger than standard [Later, an engineer named Carlo Gibello took the head shape and canted it over to make the Ergonom, circa 1984].

The various Dynos were all good rackets, but were better suited for baseline play on slower surfaces. There was also a trend afoot towards 90-sq.in. rackets in the late 80's, and Bosworth designed the ten-sided WB-series rackets for Fox. These were good all-round sticks, better suited for S/V play. Despite their unorthodox looks, they played well. The ceramic-enhanced WB-210 was the more popular model of several variants, and indeed, it was the racket of Brad Gilbert's choice in his best years on the ATP circuit.

Fox also took Bosworth's Dyno head shape and made it in a widebody frame known as the Nitro. TW is selling some of those in the Bosworth old stock right now.

Fox was actually a very progressive tennis manufacturer. They pioneered aerodynamic-section, grommetless frames, and 28" long frames, not to mention materials selection. They may have actually been a little too far out there at times. The tennis equipment market is exceptionally fickle, their rackets were weird-looking and thus would have benefited from the endorsement of a charismatic pro, and who did they have? Mister "Winning Ugly" himself. A recipe for marketplace disaster, even if the product was inherently good.

Ultimately, both Snauwaert and Fox companies closed their doors, but these unorthodox rackets are still available from the designer himself, and as we have seen in the case of Navratilova, still relevant for the advanced player.

thomas martinez
09-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Bradly played mainly the WB 210 Graphite, usually strung with Fox Procoat Borex 16 basic syn gut string. Decent string too. He did at times hit some of the ceramic models, composite models and other models. For a while, he was scrapping up any of these he could find anywhere much like Connors and his T 2000s. Just didn't go asking the general public to send him their used models. He also used and still last I knew used that silly towel grip, though these days he puts a Wilson Pro on top of it. Brad is one of those guys with stringing, he doesn't give a toss more or less. Make it dead and he's a happy camper. You should have seen what Mr Grant Morgan and I cooked up for him one year at the US Open, which went into effect during a practice session a little while later. Oh was Brad ****ed!!

Kevin T
09-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Tom, it's great to see you posting here again. It's been far too long.

thomas martinez
09-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Hahaha Kevin, how long will it last is the quesiton

pennc94
09-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Warren Bosworth's ethos for the bluesky racket designs he engineered were primarily to come up with a shape that was a compromise of frame strength, equalized string lengths amongst the mains and then amongst the crosses (as much as possible), and "playability" of shape (inwardly-bent shapes such as the Rossignol F-series and the Lacoste composites are good examples of the equalized string length design brief being taken in an impractical direction).

This is the response I was looking for.

So, the shape has more to do with frame integrity rather than any racquet performance?

In D Zone
09-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Anyone knows the specs of WB210 - white ceramic?

JetFlyr
09-26-2008, 03:10 PM
I grew up playing with the WB 210 Graphite. What a great stick, and what feel around the net! I sure wish I could get my hands on one of them now, but they're so hard to find. I want the one without grommets.

Steve Huff
09-26-2008, 03:24 PM
It wasn't JUST frame integrity. If you noticed in the pics, the middle cross strings are all the same length, with adds to a consistent response. The bridge is "V" shaped, similar to the Volkl V-engines. This gives the racket a more defined "sweet spot". The angular 2, 10, 4 and 8 areas may be to add structural integrity, but that's necessary if you want a consistent playing frame. Plus, with the angular shape at the top, you don't bang your racket into the ground every time you go down to scoop up a low volley. I had 2 of the WB-210s and sold them a few years back. Maybe I shouldn't have. I now have one that has the "through the throat" stringing, so the middle main strings go through the throat and through grommets in the shaft. Gives some really long mains for added power.

superstition
09-26-2008, 05:56 PM
The Navratilova frame is different than the old WB 210 as far as I know. It had a thicker beam for one thing.

In D Zone
09-26-2008, 07:59 PM
On wb210
Would you guys recommend string the tension in the lower 50's or higher ?

Is the frame stiff or flexible?

plasma
10-17-2008, 07:20 PM
I have one and it plays like a dream, kinda live a vacuum pro 90 but even more nimble if you can believe it, cool, cool stick

blackfrido
10-26-2008, 03:44 PM
On wb210
Would you guys recommend string the tension in the lower 50's or higher ?

Is the frame stiff or flexible?

I strung mine at 52

In D Zone
10-26-2008, 08:24 PM
I strung mine at 52

how does it play?

I think I'll restring mine down to 55lbs or lower.

blackfrido
10-27-2008, 05:33 AM
how does it play?

I think I'll restring mine down to 55lbs or lower.

plays great! this racquet plays different from any other, what is it? maybe the shape, I don't really know :confused:
It's very solid in everything, I had trouble only with my serve, the sweet spot is very tiny. Stringing at lower tension I guess you make the sweet spot bigger, but not much. I did not notice any better on my serve.

JW10S
10-27-2008, 05:20 PM
When Bosworth 1st introduced his 10 sided frames I remember in an interview that he said he 1st came up with what he felt was the optimal string pattern then built a racquet to accomodate that pattern which is why the racquet has it's unique shape.

sureshs
10-27-2008, 08:36 PM
mine is 12.1 oz, aprox. 12 inches head light.

You mean 12 pts

blackfrido
11-02-2008, 04:18 AM
You mean 12 pts

yes that's what I mean

plasma
11-28-2008, 07:22 PM
brad and ivan both, most under-rated sticks ever, they hit like a prestige or a vacuum pro. Bosworth is a genius.