PDA

View Full Version : Best way to exactly weigh rackets (and measure balance)?

BjornBorg
07-25-2008, 05:44 AM
I have three Head FXP Instincts and notice slight differences in weight and balance.

Is there a cheap scale of some kind that would give precise weights of the rackets? Also, how can I measure the balance for each racket and assure even head lightness for each? Thanks.

rasajadad
07-25-2008, 06:14 AM
I've used a digital kitchen scale for weight, but I don't check balance. There was a thread recently on a DIY balance board. Try a search.

Keifers
07-25-2008, 06:35 AM
I bought a digital scale from one of those office supplies places and an Alpha Viper Balance Board (see http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACALPHA-AVBB.html) a few years ago. Both were a little pricey, but I've gotten plenty of use out of them and I like having them around.

(Official name: Sunbeam Precision Electronic Postal Scale. Takes a 9v battery.)

Serpententacle
07-25-2008, 06:42 AM
Isn't there a way to do this easily in TW University?

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/contents.html

larry10s
07-25-2008, 07:31 AM
#1) buy a digital scale that will give you oz. and gram weight #2) with a ruler or edge of a butter knife find the balance point. mark it . measure from butt cap to balance point . 1/8 inch = 1 point . the balance apparatus you can buy or make also work well but for me this is much simpler and less expensive.

Zielmann
07-25-2008, 08:01 AM
You can also rig up your own balance board. All it takes is a ruler/yardstick and a dowell rod. A 1" round probably works the best. Just lay the dowell on the ground, with the 0 end of the measuring device perpendicular to the dowell. Measure from the center of the dowell to the butt of the racquet.

And yeah, kitchen scale works fine for weight. You can find them pretty cheap.

VGP
07-25-2008, 01:03 PM
To accurately weigh your racket, you need to take a dowel rod and drill three holes. Two hole one inch from each end, one exactly in the center.

Hammer a nail into your wall and cut the nail head off.

Place the cut nail through the center of the dowel rod.

Place loops of string through each of the other holes.

Fashion hooks out of two single paper clips and place the hooks onto the string loops.

One hook can hold your racket. The other will suspend a basket of a predetermined weight.

Start adding paperclips (one gram each) into the basket.

However many paper clips you add to the basket, plus the weight of your basket is the weight of your racket.

oh.....a digital scale should work as well.

Keifers
07-25-2008, 03:24 PM

oh.....a digital scale should work as well.
No, no... I like Plan A much, much better! :)

Thanks for the chuckle.

(You were kidding, right?! :wink: )