PDA

View Full Version : what makes a "good string job"?

rovision
07-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Maybe it sounds like a noob question, however, as a tennis player I'd like to know how to differentiate between a "bad" and a "good" string job. Sure, everybody thinks that if a newly strung racket feels "tight", is good, but I'd think there's more to it than just the feeling of a fresh string?!

Recently I had some strange experiences. One of my rackets [Volkl DNX] was returned from stringing with almost all grommets cracked. I hit fairly hard, but can't believe that would crack all grommets!? True, can't blame the stringer, didn't look at the grommets before, just wondering if this is specific to this racket brand/model [larger than usual grommets], or is something to do with the strings used [Gossen OG Sheep Micro or Prince Original Synth Gut] ?

On another racket, with Prince OSG, broke a string for the first time in more then 10 years!

Any input would be appreciated.

tennisfreak15347
07-25-2008, 03:49 PM
well the thing is, there are crappy stringjobs, like going to D I C K's sporting goods or Spor ts A uthority, where u take a gamble, or a decent/good stringjob at a proshop or local stringer. I've heard around the forums that D I C K's sporting goods managed to break and disfigure three $200 dollar racquets in one string job.

A good stringjob basically should have the strings tied off at the right places with the right sized knots, accurate string tension, and no disfigurements on the racquet. I hear that some stringers completely disregard racquets by dropping them on concrete, and they may come back chipped. All in all, anything that you should expect out of a stringjob with no problems.

smarion2
07-25-2008, 05:01 PM
if the string is pressed up against the frame due to all the grommets being broken then it could cause the strings to break early. I cant imagine how the stringer managed to break a couple grommets let alone all of them. Did he atleast put tubing in or offer to order you a replacement grommet strip?

rovision
07-25-2008, 05:38 PM
if the string is pressed up against the frame due to all the grommets being broken then it could cause the strings to break early. I cant imagine how the stringer managed to break a couple grommets let alone all of them. Did he atleast put tubing in or offer to order you a replacement grommet strip?

Like I said above, I'm not blaming the stringer for the grommets. It just happened that he mentioned it to me after the last stringing, and I never checked them before anyway. Actually, he tried to put some tubes, but most of the 3/9, 12/6 grommets are cracked, so I'm going to replace all of them soon.

For those familiar with the Volkl big grommets, they are big, and allow for extra movement of the strings as compared to standard small grommets. The racquet in question is about 2-3 years old, and I guess at a point these type of grommets need replacement.

autumn_leaf
07-25-2008, 05:38 PM
On another racket, with Prince OSG, broke a string for the first time in more then 10 years!

Any input would be appreciated.

umm you mean for a string breaking prematurely or breaking a 10 year old string?

and i really think it was the stringers fault, never heard of grommets breaking from hard hitting. i would have checked the racquet after the string job to make sure everything was okay.

rovision
07-25-2008, 05:43 PM
A good stringjob basically should have the strings tied off at the right places with the right sized knots, accurate string tension, and no disfigurements on the racquet. I hear that some stringers completely disregard racquets by dropping them on concrete, and they may come back chipped. All in all, anything that you should expect out of a stringjob with no problems.

Are there specific places where the knots should be? How many?
I never use these sport chain stores for stringing.

rovision
07-25-2008, 05:45 PM
umm you mean for a string breaking prematurely or breaking a 10 year old string?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/icons/icon7.gif , no it wasn't a 10 years old string!

rovision
07-25-2008, 05:46 PM

No it wasn't a 10 years old string! :)

BigServer1
07-25-2008, 05:56 PM
To me a good string job is one where the crosses are straight, the tension is consistent and feels right (this is especially a big deal if multiple racquets were strung) and the knots are appropriately tied.

Every racquet that I string, I string with the logo on the but cap facing up, I tie off in the same places every time, and I make sure that if I am stringing multiples, they look and sound the same. It's the little stuff I think that makes the difference between an OK string job and a great one.

rovision
07-28-2008, 01:34 PM
I've got my two rackets back from stringing and now they both have 4 knots! Is this a normal number? The previous strings had only 2 knots, as I remember.

nadal&roddickfan
07-28-2008, 02:32 PM
It all depends on your racquet. Some racquets recommend 4 knots ( a two-piece stringjob) or two knots ( a one-piece string job).

Cup8489
07-28-2008, 02:39 PM
I've got my two rackets back from stringing and now they both have 4 knots! Is this a normal number? The previous strings had only 2 knots, as I remember.

the stringer simply did a two-piece job, which is arguably easier than a one-piece. the 4 tie offs are the two ends of both halves of string.