PDA

View Full Version : My paranoia is getting to me

aznfatmonkey
07-25-2008, 10:42 AM
My cousin stepped on my brand new purestorm tour. :mad: Luckily, he's only 43 lbs and it was on carpet. He stepped right in the middle of the stringbed. Do you guys think anything will happen?

Serve_Ace
07-25-2008, 10:45 AM
the racket will shatter into a million pieces and go flying across to different parts of the world!~

nah jplay, doubt anything will happen

beedlejuice22
07-25-2008, 10:49 AM
The tension will be a little looser. Probably nothing noticeable though.

VGP
07-25-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm really sorry to hear that man.

That kind of damage will decrease the life of your racket by 86%.

Two percent for every pound of weight placed exactly where you described......

88% if the step had occurred on hard wood floors.

aznfatmonkey
07-25-2008, 11:09 AM
he only stepped on it for 1 second before i got him off.

aznfatmonkey
07-25-2008, 11:10 AM
will it deaden the frame so that it loses playability?

Bud
07-25-2008, 11:11 AM
My cousin stepped on my brand new purestorm tour. :mad: Luckily, he's only 43 lbs and it was on carpet. He stepped right in the middle of the stringbed. Do you guys think anything will happen?

the racket will shatter into a million pieces and go flying across to different parts of the world!~

nah jplay, doubt anything will happen

Lol! :) :oops: :lol:

The racquet is fine. I wouldn't advise leaving it like that around small children. There is something about stringbeds they like.

It may loosen the tension a hair... I do this after stringing sometimes (and I'm a bit more than 43 lbs.)... if I think the stringbed feels a bit stiff.

aznfatmonkey
07-25-2008, 11:14 AM

Wow, you worried me for a little, until i thought about it. more than 1 pound is probably put on the racquet each time you hit, but assuming that only 1 pound is put on the racquet, then the racquet would break aafter 50 hits?

Murray_Maniac
07-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Nothing. I weigh 160 and step on one of my carppy racquets for fun and it doesnt mess w/ its stability. Maybe a little bit on the tension though. But in your case, I highly doubt it. If he'd stepped on it on hardcourt and slid it, it'd annoyed the carp out of you, but it doesnt mess w/ its playability. It happened to me last year when I used a different frame.

SonRK
07-25-2008, 11:19 AM
I weigh 140 lbs and I stepped on my racquet bed to loosen it up because I strung it up at 61 lbs, BUT I didn't leave it alone for 24 hours to settle like I normally do. Buddies wanted to go out and hit so I just stepped on it a bit and it played good

VGP
07-25-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm totally just yanking your chain!

Your racket is totally fine.

I learned a technique from a USRSA certified stringer that to loosen your string tension a bit, you stand full weight pressing your heel into the center of your string bed. I'm sure it's not highly recommended, but it works.

The stress put on your frame from stringing is much more than your cousin stepping on your frame once.

I'll reiterate, your racket is fine.

Peter Szucs
07-25-2008, 11:35 AM
A nice place to drop this in... I was in Umag last week.. watching Berlocq against Daniel from the first row... probably 5 meters from the side line sitting near to Berlocq's girlfriend. In the 3rd set Berlocq came to us took his brand new Flexpoint Prestige (probably a PT630 pj) and dropped it just in front of us to the pure concrete... i could virtually see the paint chipping off while the racq was bouncing... "what a waist .. i would kill for one of these... "i thought... but anyway he asked his gf to step on the string to loosen tension that he found too much... so the girls stood on the racq for 5mins at least.. he then took it back in the next game and played pretty good tennis... so i guess you will be fine dude.

tennisfreak15347
07-25-2008, 11:42 AM
nothing is going to happen. Unless you see some deformities in the frame, everything is alright. Standing on the stringbend makes it maybe 1 lbs looser though

VGP
07-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Peter Szucs - nice story. For the pros, rackets are just tools. Tools that they use to win matches. Winning earns them thousands, if not millions of dollars.

For a player like Berloq, who's earned $780K in career prize money, the difference between winning and losing is on the order of $2K-$5K. He's ranked high enough to be sponsored. A few racket chips and a loosened stringjob is still worth it.....

aznfatmonkey
07-25-2008, 12:28 PM
thanks guys. I guess i was being way too paranoid.

Now how do i close this thread?

HodeClassicMP
07-25-2008, 12:53 PM
I bet since you posted here, you got more paranoia. LOl.... that racket probably is just fine...

VGP
07-25-2008, 12:54 PM
You can't close it, it will forever remain here on TTW for people to search and enjoy...... :)

DarthCow
07-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Jankovic did it to soften up the stringbed.

Peter Szucs
07-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Peter Szucs - nice story. For the pros, rackets are just tools. Tools that they use to win matches. Winning earns them thousands, if not millions of dollars.

For a player like Berloq, who's earned $780K in career prize money, the difference between winning and losing is on the order of $2K-$5K. He's ranked high enough to be sponsored. A few racket chips and a loosened stringjob is still worth it.....

I know i know... i still would have felt better if it had been Andreev chipping paint off from his Pure Drive... :) (sorry PD lovers)

kelz
07-27-2008, 12:52 AM

LOL don't scare the kid man

Bud
07-27-2008, 05:16 AM
thanks guys. I guess i was being way too paranoid.

Now how do i close this thread?

You can't close it, it will forever remain here on TTW for people to search and enjoy...... :)

Yes, it shall remain in the annals of TT for enjoyment, education and amusement :)

gcfalcon09
07-27-2008, 07:20 AM
u should be just fine... he is 43 lbs! and just change the strings!