PDA

View Full Version : sunglasses

andres17
07-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Is there something wrong with wearing sunglasses while playing tennis. I've rarely seen them used maybe seen 2 women and 1 man wearing in a LONG! time. Do they affect the game in some way or something.

ak47m
07-25-2008, 01:49 PM
There's nothing wrong with wearing sunglasses, it's all preference. To me they distort perspective and throw off my judgement (distance of ball, my swing, etc.)so I don't wear them other than to look cool. That doesn't mean they're not bad though, especially a high-quality brand like Oakley. Some prefer sunglasses over hats or visors to keep the sun out of their eyes. A pro that uses sunglasses is Janko Tipsarevic, he wears Oakley Flak-Jackets I believe but also has prescription lenses because he needs contacts/glasses.

NiteFly
07-25-2008, 02:26 PM
I wear sunglasses just about everytime. I use a pair of Head glasses that I got here at TW for like $30. If they ever have them again, I'll buy a couple more pairs.

I have heard others say that they mess up their vision too much.

Lucy Brown
07-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Most sunglasses distort vision. Not bad enough to you notice when using for everyday use but for golf or tennis it's enough to throw your game. Oakleys advertise that they dont distort and thats why you see pro baseball players use them while playing. Ok so you'll ask why dont pro tennis players use Oakleys while playing. I assume they dont for the same reason most of us dont. They are not comfortable to wear while playing, move around or fly off your head easily and get loaded with sweat making them useless.

N23
07-25-2008, 02:35 PM
I wear them all the time.

jmsx521
07-27-2008, 08:01 AM
From my research, the Maui Jims have the best and the clearest lenses, and they are polarized on both sides, but they cost millions!

JoshDragon
08-05-2008, 07:38 PM
I usually see the beginner players wear them but yeah you're right it is pretty rare to see someone wearing them during a tennis match.

Japanese Maple
08-06-2008, 05:19 AM
If I am playing practice matches or drilling I wear the Bolle tennis glasses but I don't wear the blue lense due to distortion of colors. I prefer the gray lense. I wear glasses to protect my eyes and cut down on glare . In tournaments, unless it is extremely bright, I would not wear glasses ,but during practice definitely wear them.

River Hill
08-06-2008, 05:59 AM
Maui Jim Sports

ezdude1970
08-06-2008, 07:08 AM
i recently got the Bolle vigallente tennis glasses, and i love them, i feel that i can see the ball better, and feel that my serve got a little better because i dont get blinded during the toss, maybe it is all in my head, but i really like it. and it does not bother me at all very nice fit. big supporter here.

Japanese Maple
08-06-2008, 07:29 AM
i recently got the Bolle vigallente tennis glasses, and i love them, i feel that i can see the ball better, and feel that my serve got a little better because i dont get blinded during the toss, maybe it is all in my head, but i really like it. and it does not bother me at all very nice fit. big supporter here.
Ezdude1970-I have the same glasses but prefer the gray lense because it doesn't distort the court colors and surroundings. The blue lense is supposed to optimize the ball color but I see the ball fine with the gray lense without color distortion.

ezdude1970
08-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Ezdude1970-I have the same glasses but prefer the gray lense because it doesn't distort the court colors and surroundings. The blue lense is supposed to optimize the ball color but I see the ball fine with the gray lense without color distortion.

thank you for the info, i will give regular lenses a chance one of these days.

BiGGieStuFF
08-06-2008, 07:50 AM
If i don't wear them in the sun then I have a hard time seeing the ball because my eyes are very sensitive to light and the sun makes my eyes close up even if i'm wearing a cap or visor.

netman
08-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Only beginner players wear them? Please!

Long term exposure to bright sunlight can cause the same problems for your unprotected eyes that it does for your skin. Where do you think cataracts come from?

Something as simple as a cap can help. But you can go to Wal-Mart and buy a $10 pair of polarized sunglasses that will protect you eyes and help you see the ball better on a bright white day. An added benefit is your opponent can't read your eyes. Think about that.

OldButGame
07-02-2010, 06:22 PM
I've read that with sunglasses the 'darkness' is created by tiny particles actually within the glass,....and that Your vision is consequently not as sharp as without them. I hate the sun in my eyes,....but i try to deal with it with a visor,....cuz i figure,...."god knows i need my eyes to be as sharp as possible!!!!!":(