PDA

View Full Version : 37 dollars for a stringjob??!?!

tennisfreak15347
07-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I recently went to mt pro shop and they charged me 37 dollars for HEAD Fibergel and the stringjob! thats amasingly overpriced IMO. I usually goto a local stringer and he does it for $5 . What does your local pro shop charge?

Booyah
07-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Depending on what string but yeah string jobs tend to be 25 dollars or more.

TyCobb
07-25-2008, 12:52 PM
It was 31 for pro hurricane tours for me. I got a Klippermate now.

Murray_Maniac
07-25-2008, 12:55 PM
For local, like $25 but downtown its $10 and a better stringjob.

rockbox
07-25-2008, 12:58 PM
12-17 for labor

vndesu
07-25-2008, 12:59 PM
i charge
10 with their own string.
15 with my syn gut
20 for poly
or 20 for poly / syngut hybrid.

Stan
07-25-2008, 01:04 PM
I charge $20 for stringing but the quality and level of service I provide is worth $30 easily.

tennisfreak15347
07-25-2008, 01:25 PM
well the string is priced at 7 dollars on TW, so that means that the stringjob cost 30 dollars. That is WAY overpriced, especially taking into mind that it took them 5 days to string it...

Spokewench
07-25-2008, 01:49 PM
I pay $32 to string my racquet. Seems reasonable to me.

pow
07-25-2008, 02:21 PM
well the string is priced at 7 dollars on TW, so that means that the stringjob cost 30 dollars. That is WAY overpriced, especially taking into mind that it took them 5 days to string it...

5 days is ridiculous, it takes less than an hour to string up a racquet. Pro shops always overcharge for strings, I always bring my own. The cost of labor should never exceed $15, anything past that is a ripoff.

AlpineCadet
07-25-2008, 02:38 PM
5 days is ridiculous, it takes less than an hour to string up a racquet. Pro shops always overcharge for strings, I always bring my own. The cost of labor should never exceed $15, anything past that is a ripoff.
Labor is usually around $20+ at tournaments, $18+ at typical tennis shops, and $5-10+ if you have local stringers.

tennisfreak15347
07-25-2008, 02:43 PM
hmm... so in other words, I could have paid for seven local stringjobs with the cost of one pro-shop stringjob that took 5 days.

the wise wizard
07-25-2008, 02:43 PM
actually your not doing to bad, the place i string its $22 for syn gut, $40 for premier with softflex and $80 for gut

wilsonsir12
07-25-2008, 03:18 PM
i charge 5 dollars for labor so i just add that to whatever the price of the string is unless i am using a reel then i still charge 5 dollars but the string will cost less so if i do a normal syn gut it is somewhere between 8-12 dollars

pow
07-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Labor is usually around $20+ at tournaments, $18+ at typical tennis shops, and $5-10+ if you have local stringers.

All local shops I've been to have been 15 for the labor. I am aware there are some that charge more but they're a ripoff, stringing is not that difficult at all. My local tennis shop is going out of business, the majority of the players here know other players with stringing machines and are unwilling to pay $15 when it can be done with a little time and care. Saving $15 every time I string is the price of a pack of ALU!

autumn_leaf
07-25-2008, 04:27 PM
$35 for RIP perfect control. depends on where you get it strung. getting my own stringer soon.

crocon
07-25-2008, 04:59 PM
I don't even wanna know how much money I woulda saved had I bought a stringer a couple years earlier than I did.

ARNICOLINI
07-25-2008, 05:13 PM
If you play with any kind of regularity an inexpensive stringer (Gamma X-2 or Klippermate) pay for themselves rather quickly (labor of less than 10 string jobs). Everything after that is gravy.

IMHO once you have a basic stringer and learn the ins and outs of stringing - then you decide if a higher priced stringing machine is for you or not.

I think I have an absolute perfect scenario - my best friend and I split a Klippermate and just swap it back and forth as needed to string out rackets. I am just shy of 50 string jobs now and it paid for itself long ago.

goober
07-25-2008, 05:21 PM
The bottom line is that if you play regularly and participate in leagues and tourneys, I would recommend just get a stringer for just about anybody. Unless money is not an issue, you truly don't have the time, you restring only 2-3 times a year then maybe you are still better off going to a stringer.

TheShaun
07-25-2008, 07:30 PM
a klippermate or an x-2 with a load of strings from tw and you're laughing. i'm happy to never take a racquet in for stringing again.

ryangoring
07-25-2008, 07:36 PM
At a USTA center here in florida they charge 12 for the job if you bring in your own string.
I don't really know what it would be if I didn't bring my own...

2nd_Serve
07-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Seems reasonable.

DarthCow
07-25-2008, 10:25 PM
My stringer charges $10 for labor.
If i drop it off to him before 1pm, he will deliver it to my house in the same day.

EDIT: With tennis shops, you should tell them that you have a match later on in that day. That way you will get it5 back quicker.

I know someone who was told by a tennis shop to come back in a week.

LoveThisGame
07-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Walk in the shoes of a stringer in business for himself.

A stringer:

* pays for shipping on string purchases
* ties up capital ($) in inventory (no interest on it), inventory which gives you string choices and immediate availability
* has paid for equipment and supplies (stringing machine, tools, tubing, invoices, stencils and ink, USRSA membership, business cards, ...
* the good ones keep stringing records, can provide sound string and tension advice, turn around your stringing in a day or less, and spends time keeping current on new strings and frames
*the good ones provide quality and consistent stringing because they have the equipment and knowhow in depth.

If a stringer charges $5 for stringing or even $10, he/she lacks experience, skips on things, or is a poor businessperson.

The customer gets to pick which stringer-price he wants.

Bud
07-26-2008, 01:08 PM
In addition to the comments posted... when you start stringing your own racquets with various string types... IMO it puts you more in tune with what the racquet/string is/are doing and why.

You'll understand the different properties that string and frames exhibit at different tensions, etc.

Stringing is actually a fascinating art... and you'll constantly learn/discover something new throughout the process.

WHSTENNIS
07-26-2008, 01:21 PM
It costs me around $40 everytime i have to get my raquet strung.

dork2tennisstud
07-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Some people rely on stringing racquets as a main source of income or they have customers who don't seem to mind paying up, so they need to/can charge string cost plus $25 labor no problem.

I have a Klippermate and just string for myself, friends, co-workers, and players on my old high school's team.

I get reels of a good but cheap synthetic gut (Gosen Micro) and a good but economical poly (CyberBlue), and I get a pretty sweet hybrid that costs me about $4 a set. I charge $15 and everybody's happy. I make about $10 (I'm rounding) and my customers get a pretty damn good string for a lot cheaper than most places.

kfactor/all/the/WAY!
07-26-2008, 04:30 PM
18 for labor, booooo.

KerryJ
07-26-2008, 04:33 PM
actually your not doing to bad, the place i string its $22 for syn gut, $40 for premier with softflex and $80 for gut

Where the hell do you live man?

nCode747
07-26-2008, 06:46 PM
now I took a risk and got a stringing machine... saves me 300$ year worth of labor

but at my local club its 25$ syn gut
50$ natual gut
if own sting 20$ labor

ripoff if you ask me

gcfalcon09
07-26-2008, 06:50 PM
not really a rip off. actually pretty good price. most places usually charge between 25 and 40.

Bend008x
07-26-2008, 07:06 PM
The tennis shop near me charges

$10 for labor + you bring the string

$15 for labor + prince syn gut (the regular one)

or $10 + the price the string

Bend008x
07-26-2008, 07:08 PM
forgot to mention +$3 for natural gut

and if you drop it off before 4pm, you can pick it up anytime after 4pm-4:30

Ronaldo
07-26-2008, 07:10 PM
If you play 3-4 times/wk, this thread should lead to buying a stringer if you have the time and are inclined to do it yourself.

consistency wins
07-26-2008, 07:11 PM

A stringer:

* ties up capital ($) in inventory (no interest on it), inventory which gives you string choices and immediate availability
* has paid for equipment and supplies (stringing machine, tools, tubing, invoices, stencils and ink, USRSA membership, business cards, ...
* the good ones keep stringing records, can provide sound string and tension advice, turn around your stringing in a day or less, and spends time keeping current on new strings and frames
*the good ones provide quality and consistent stringing because they have the equipment and knowhow in depth.

If a stringer charges $5 for stringing or even $10, he/she lacks experience, skips on things, or is a poor businessperson.

Very well said....thanks for supporting us local stringers :)

Ronaldo
07-26-2008, 07:11 PM
The tennis shop near me charges

$10 for labor + you bring the string

$15 for labor + prince syn gut (the regular one)

or $10 + the price the string

Good price

captinsane903
07-26-2008, 09:21 PM
$15 for labor for me.
I'm planning on buying big ace and mg micro sheep, which would be like $5 worth of string per job for the hybrid.
So thats $20 for me. plus gas, of course. lol.:(

Eric4
07-26-2008, 10:08 PM
I recently went to mt pro shop and they charged me 37 dollars for HEAD Fibergel and the stringjob! thats amasingly overpriced IMO. I usually goto a local stringer and he does it for $5 . What does your local pro shop charge?

stop crying. i hate it when people complain about the price of their stringer. if they dont like it then dont get your racquet strung you big baby

A stringer:

you are 100% right

SirBlend12
07-26-2008, 10:13 PM

A stringer:

Interesting, because at the best stringer in my area, labor is 20 and they have a pathetic selection of strings. To top it off, they have useless and idiotic staff, and as a result, strung at the wrong tension by 8 lbs.

Did you think about the fact that maybe, even in this day and age, that there is still some of that honest working man pricing out there?

braves08
07-26-2008, 10:20 PM
I remembered my dad and I took a racquet to string at Sports Authority back in 1995 only that one time. After that we bought a ATS stringing machine and never went back since. It must have been several hundreds stringjobs up until now.

jim e
07-27-2008, 07:00 AM

A stringer:

Very much so correct!
A lot of people want to know the price of everything and the value of nothing, isn't that correct.

Charlie_Boy
07-27-2008, 07:03 AM
Shop I use charges $20.

albino smurf
07-27-2008, 07:09 AM
$25 w/o string.

Barricade V
07-27-2008, 07:20 AM
I provide my own string (Blue Gear) to a friend and he does it for 10 dollars. I went to a country store since my friend was out of town and it was 45 dollars including psgd. Crazy. But I live in one of the richest towns in massachusetts and a country club where all multi millions go to would be overpriced.

Charlie_Boy
07-27-2008, 07:28 AM
I got an Aero Storm from the local store and I think the strings/stringing was free for some reason. Total cost of the racket was like $180 with strings.

jim e
07-27-2008, 09:50 AM
You still get what you pay for, just look at a post on knock-offs on the other stringers web, a person there worked at a big store in Cincinnatti, and was fired since she would not string all the strings on the left, then do right, as they told her would save time, also machines were not calibrated in 15 years.
For the $ minded people send your racquets there, and get a cheap job done, so you can get a cheap job, be happy, and not know the value of a good job done.
It is like this in all types of services, not just stringing.
Like I said some people want to know the cost of everything, and the value of nothing!
Locally, here some people do get a great job done cheaply, as I do friends just for string price, but others do pay for my time.
And as stated earlier, the customer gets to pick which stringer -price he wants.

sawedust
07-27-2008, 11:37 AM
At the shop at which I get my racquets strung, it's $53 for two racquets with strings included.

So that's about $10 for strings and $15 for labor. Not too bad, I guess.

tennisfreak15347
07-27-2008, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=Eric4;2557305]stop crying. i hate it when people complain about the price of their stringer. if they dont like it then dont get your racquet strung you big baby

Excuse me, no insults needed. I HAVE to have it strung there, because it is the only place I know with a stringer. I cant contact my other local stringer because he moved. All I am saying is, if I'm expecting to pay $40 dollars for a synthetic gut stringjob, I'd atleast expect the racquet to be strung WITHIN 5 days.

goober
07-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Excuse me, no insults needed. I HAVE to have it strung there, because it is the only place I know with a stringer. I cant contact my other local stringer because he moved. All I am saying is, if I'm expecting to pay $40 dollars for a synthetic gut stringjob, I'd atleast expect the racquet to be strung WITHIN 5 days.

If that is your only choice, buy a stringing machine for yourself. You can put the other guy out of business or at least lower his price and improve his service. If you don't want to string for others you will still recoup your money in a year or two depending on how often you string and how much paid for the stringing machine. Really there is no point in whining about it. If he is the only stringer in town, he can pretty much do what he wants, which is apparently what he is doing :)

origmarm
07-28-2008, 05:00 AM
In the UK it's ridiculous. Labour is $20 with my own string in the place I found but normally about $40. The string is the crazy part. PSGD is $30 a set in some places! I have seen gut go for $100 a set (VS Touch 16).

*breaksracquet
07-28-2008, 05:32 AM
my last one cost me $32. the place i go to lists the price of the string and the job all together (which is convenient for me).

Nellie
07-28-2008, 05:58 AM
My store (in an expensive urban area) charges $20 labor for most strings/ $22 for gut. The retail price for that string is likely $20. Sure you can order it for less, but that is not really the question.

Think of the economics of stringing - you may be able to do 4 string jobs per hour, so the store is make $80 per hour from stringing, and with that money, they need to pay for the stringer labor cost and the stores other costs - rent (which is about $10K per month in my area), heat, etc.

gonzalocatalino
07-28-2008, 07:47 AM
the labour for any stringjob here in Argentina is, MAX, u$s 5 (im paying around u$s3) :)

Bend008x
07-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Maybe people should start posting where they live along with the prices. It will help the rest of us get an idea on the varying prices around the states, if not the world.

chris_ah1
07-28-2008, 01:28 PM
$50 to $60 for a quick service in uk :(

Luxilon BB alu power :(

Cup8489
07-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Maybe people should start posting where they live along with the prices. It will help the rest of us get an idea on the varying prices around the states, if not the world.

I live in Quad Cities, Illinois. the local tennis club charges 16.50 for a set of PSGD. i think it's about 25 for polyester, of which we have two: PHT and BB ALU Power.

it's not a great selection, and that's why i have a few customers who like cheaper stuff that gives a similar play. i mean, cyberflash doesnt compare to ALU Rough, but it gets the job done, and a hybrid for 12 bucks sure as hell beats a similar job at 20 bucks.

Ronaldo
07-29-2008, 06:09 AM
Met guys who pay full price for string at Dick's, $24/set for Gamma TNT then give it to a stringer who charges $12-15. Go figure, money ain't a thing when you break 2 sets a yr.

hoodjem
07-29-2008, 06:15 AM
the labour for any stringjob here in Argentina is, MAX, u$s 5 (im paying around u$s3) :)
I'm moving to Argentina.