PDA

View Full Version : Head MicroGEL Radical vs. MicroGEL Extreme

tenisjugador
07-25-2008, 02:09 PM
I got a demo for the MicroGEL Radical Midplus, which I really like EXCEPT for the dense 18x20 string pattern which makes spin generation somewhat more challenging. In a perfect world, I would like the MicroGEL Radical but with a 16x19 string pattern. Is the MicroGEL Extreme (16x19) very different? I ask because most specifications are quite similar (besides stiffness). In other words, once I send back the Radical, is the Extreme worth demoing as well?

In)SpiRe
07-25-2008, 02:23 PM
They are two different racquets. IMO, they play completely different. I got a hollow feeling out of the Extreme, and I hated the racquet, period. Got no power, got no feel, and whenever I use it, I play horrible tennis. The MicroGel Radical is better than the Extreme to me. But the Extreme does get more spin, no doubt. If you are really having trouble getting spin then, give it a shot, or I suggest the Radical Pro as it has a more open string pattern.

Seacoast Stringer
07-25-2008, 05:37 PM
I have hit with both and the Radical will give you better feel and control and the Extreme will be more powerful, a bit better spin capability and is slightly less comfortable. I prefer frames with better feel and control and try to use string setups and technique to achieve other aspects of the game such as spin....BUT I have hit with players that like a more powerful frame that they can tame a bit with string setups. Its a personal choice and I guess you just have to go with your gut feel. I wish the answer was easier.

soggyramen
07-25-2008, 05:54 PM
they are very different but the power shouldn't mess with how well u control the ball once you adjust. a good player should be able to adjust to anything with a little time but once mastered (i have the pro version) it's a capable performer and all areas of the court.

yasson
07-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Try The Extreme Pro!

Bagdatis toy hippo
07-27-2008, 02:04 PM
The Microgel Radical I found to be solid and awesome. The Extreme I didn't like. It didn't give me as much pop or spin as anything else.

wao
07-29-2008, 10:50 AM
I got a demo for the MicroGEL Radical Midplus, which I really like EXCEPT for the dense 18x20 string pattern which makes spin generation somewhat more challenging. In a perfect world, I would like the MicroGEL Radical but with a 16x19 string pattern. Is the MicroGEL Extreme (16x19) very different? I ask because most specifications are quite similar (besides stiffness). In other words, once I send back the Radical, is the Extreme worth demoing as well?
If you like the Rad, the Rad Tour though heavier is a 16X19 string pattern. I a while back demo'd both and went with the Extreme. As far as feel, I get all that I need out of the Extreme as well as power. It did take me a while to get the string set up that I like but now that I have it it is a sweet stick.
The best I can say is to Demo them and make your own choice.

Azzurri
07-29-2008, 05:58 PM

The more I play with this string pattern, the more I think its just not true. I get plenty of spin, same as my K90. I was worried about playing an 18X20 for so long because of people on this board, well forget that.

bad_call
07-29-2008, 06:27 PM
The more I play with this string pattern, the more I think its just not true. I get plenty of spin, same as my K90. I was worried about playing an 18X20 for so long because of people on this board, well forget that.

haha...skill and techniques vary amongst the posters here. imo it's prudent to find those with similar skills and styles and process those posts with a bit more weight.

jazar
07-30-2008, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=slappano;2565713]The more I play with this string pattern, the more I think its just not true. I get plenty of spin, same as my K90.[QUOTE]

i agree. i've never had any problems generating tons of spin with my i.prestige. in fact, for spin, i much prefer the denser pattern

GPB
07-30-2008, 07:17 AM
I hated the Extreme when I demoed it. I couldn't keep a single rally going. Then I switched to the [K]Zen and loved it.

The radical OS is nice, if you're looking for a rocket launcher.

tenisjugador
07-30-2008, 07:31 AM
After having the demo for the full week, I agree with the guys who said its not hard to get comfortable with the spin potential of the 18x20. Actually, just a good set of strings would make it easy to forget you're using an 18x20! In any case, I went ahead and bought it.

el sergento
07-30-2008, 11:47 AM

Exact same thing happened to me. I normally use a 16x19 pattern and yesterday I hit with a LM Radical 18x20 with the crappiest strings and I still managed to produce the easiest spin on the ball. I was surprised by how little vertical lift was necessary to pick up low balls and generate topspin.

End result, I ordered 2 LM rads MP's for $70 a pop. :)..........no wait I mean :(

Azzurri
07-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Glad to hear I am not alone. I avoided so many good deals on racquets because of the nonsense people claim on this board. I had no intention of buyng my Head MG Prestiges (MP), but got a great deal so I figured if I don't like them I would just sell them. I am so glad I took a chance. I swear I was Pete Sampras Monday night.:shock:

bertrevert
07-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Think the MG Rad MP is a beaut but too light just as stock.

Amazing that it however can connect so solid in such a lightweight package.

Really think all that FXP stuff will look like a failed experiment in time.

Good buy.

Azzurri
07-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Think the MG Rad MP is a beaut but too light just as stock.

Amazing that it however can connect so solid in such a lightweight package.

Really think all that FXP stuff will look like a failed experiment in time.

Good buy.

320g is the same weight as the Asian K90 I was using. With overgrip and dampener it has to be near 12 oz. Not too light, but also not too heavy and that is what I like.:)

tennis_hand
07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
extreme pro is the one that u want.

0d1n
07-31-2008, 01:49 AM
320g is the same weight as the Asian K90 I was using. With overgrip and dampener it has to be near 12 oz. Not too light, but also not too heavy and that is what I like.:)

He's talking about the Radical, which is 295 grams unstrung.

Azzurri
08-01-2008, 06:39 AM
He's talking about the Radical, which is 295 grams unstrung.

Missed. that...then I agree with him.:)