PDA

View Full Version : Heavy racket or lead tape? Whats the difference

levy1
07-25-2008, 05:47 PM
I am hitting with a Head radical tour, 100 head, 12oz, flex at 58.
I see a Head Flex point FXP Radical Team Racquet's available which is 102 head, 10.4 oz, 59 flex. If I buy this racket and lead tape it to 12 oz is there any difference then buying a racket that already weighs 12oz? BTW I know how to use lead as I have it in all my racquet's to make them 12 oz except for the radical tour which is already 12oz.

lkdog
07-25-2008, 06:37 PM
I see a Head Flex point FXP Radical Team Racquet's available which is 102 head, 10.4 oz, 59 flex. If I buy this racket and lead tape it to 12 oz is there any difference then buying a racket that already weighs 12oz? BTW I know how to use lead as I have it in all my racquet's to make them 12 oz except for the radical tour which is already 12oz.

Sounds like you know what you are doing, so my comments might be things you already know.

One big thing to make sure you do is to get the balance correct that you want by adding the weight on the hoop and handle in the appropriate amounts.

Where you specifically add the weight on the hoop can make a difference and impacts the sweetspot position, and stability, and how it plays in relation to your game.

The last thing I will say is adding 1.6 oz is a lot IMO.
I prefer adding smaller amounts, but that is just me.

All thing being equal-the less tape you have to add to get to the weight you want is better IMO.

levy1
07-25-2008, 06:45 PM
So, you are saying the original 12oz without lead is a better way to go then lead-ding up a light raquet? Even if I make the weight and balance the same with lead? What do think the difference is between the heaver raquet and one that has the lead added all things being equal?

matchmaker
07-26-2008, 08:11 AM
I think it is better to use the heavy racquet. Leading up will never have exactly the same result. You would have to imitate the weight distribution perfectly, and although you can certainly get them at the same balance point, it is more difficult to create the exact same swingweight and the way the weight is distributed (which is not exactly the same as balance).
I prefer racquets to come with most of the weight I want them to have and then apply lead tape to certain strategic locations.

mtommer
07-26-2008, 10:56 AM
So, you are saying the original 12oz without lead is a better way to go then lead-ding up a light raquet? Even if I make the weight and balance the same with lead? What do think the difference is between the heaver raquet and one that has the lead added all things being equal?

Yes and no. On one hand it is easier to create a polarized racquet (ubiquitous SW2 ideology plug - for those into that sorta thing) while still maintaining a lighter weight racquet overall. IE polarized but still 12.5oz for example. The downside is that often lighter weight racquets already have ton of power designed into them such that adding a bunch of lead is only going to create more power. It's going to be hard to control that power. It's possible but I would suspect you've got to have fantastic technique for spin shots in order to get any sort of control.

OTOH - You don't have to add so much lead tape to a higher weight racquet to have good plowthrough effect. It's also easier to match multiple racquets as, even though manufacturing tolerences aren't perfect, the heavier racquets are already pretty similar in actual specs. Just less work overall. However, if you don't mind the work and time this may not be a big deal. Also, the heavier racquets do come more control oriented by design and helps if you're not an exteme spin type player. Tighter string patterns a lot of time. Thinner beam for more feel. These types of things.

I would suggest that you try and figure out what you like and want from a racquet's construction and then go from there.

Bud
07-26-2008, 01:16 PM

It's all about balance and stability, IMO. It allows you to tweek a frame to make it perfect for your game.

After fiddling around with lead in all positions/configurations and a wide variety of frames... I think it's most beneficial at 3/9 (no more than 16 grams total) for torsional stability on off-center hits. I've found racquets that are approximately 12.5-13 oz. and approximately 8-10 pts. H.L. work and feel the best for my game.

lkdog
07-27-2008, 06:36 AM
Agree that in general it is better to get fairly close to the weight you wish from the start due to keeping the intended design character inherent in the racquet.

Tweaking is fun, though, and I also am a fan if 3/9 o' clock weighting for stability.
I used to also do 12 o' clock but took that off.

Another big must for me is the worm dampener.
I hate pingy sounding racquets. :)