PDA

View Full Version : Which poly strings for little personal shop?

bumblebee
07-25-2008, 06:10 PM
yep, im starting to get some serious business now :) , so i want to know:
which poly strings should i get? Should i waste a LOT of $$ for lux? any alternatives? im looking for good cheap reels. under 110

topspin cyberflash
unique big hitter
leopard
dunlop xplosive
tecnifibre pro red code
Signum Pro megaforce
weisscannon scorpion
weisscannon silverstring

this is what ive narrowed the choices down too...
any advice is appreciated!! thx!!!!
PS- any advice from TW staff would be extremely appreciated as well!!

Stan
07-25-2008, 06:29 PM
7, 6, 1, 3 in that order.

bumblebee
07-25-2008, 07:40 PM
i've also added silverstring as well...

consistency wins
07-25-2008, 07:56 PM
yep, im starting to get some serious business now :) , so i want to know:
which poly strings should i get? Should i waste a LOT of $$ for lux? any alternatives? im looking for good cheap reels. under 110

topspin cyberflash
unique big hitter
leopard
dunlop xplosive
tecnifibre pro red code
Signum Pro megaforce
weisscannon scorpion
weisscannon silverstring

this is what ive narrowed the choices down too...
any advice is appreciated!! thx!!!!
PS- any advice from TW staff would be extremely appreciated as well!!

Well, as a serious business person with some "serious business" you should know it is all about supply and demand. So instead of asking us what we like--ask your darn customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

consistency wins
07-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Oh, and it cracks me up that you say "no lux"...cuz it is only the most advertised string on the market with both commentators and commercials selling the stuff during matches....

iLose
07-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Why does it crack you up, most people don't want to brake the bank for something that is only fractions better then the above string?

Oh yeah most time when the say lux, they are just talking about polys in general, they say Roddick uses lux and Roddick even refers to polys as lux.

SFrazeur
07-25-2008, 08:34 PM
I agree that you should be supplying what your customers are asking for, or at least what they will most likely be asking for.

How can you "waste a LOT of $$ for lux?" if you have customers who want to pay you to string it in their racquets? I do not really understand that. If this is about the initial cost of stocking it, then well, I'm sure you have heard of the phrase "it takes money to make money."

-SF

Voltron
07-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Here's a list of polys you might want to look into, besides the ones already up there (I chose CF and Redcode BTW). SPPP, Babolat PH and PHT, Kirschbaum(I know I spelled it wrong) super smash, and of course, Luxilon!!!111!!111 ;)

2nd_Serve
07-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Tecnifibre, Topspin, and WesiessCannon.

BigServer1
07-25-2008, 10:46 PM
I like RedCode quite a bit, I like WeissCannon too.

If your customers want Luxilon, you gotta get luxilon. It's not even the best Co Polymer by a long shot, but it's so hyped and it's the most demanded string on the market. I tell my customers all the time that there are better strings out there, and make recommendations based on their requests, but they stick with the Lux.

It's an enigma...

Ljubicic for number1
07-25-2008, 11:16 PM
I would stock:
Cyber flash
Cyber Power
Big Ace
Blue Gear
SPPP
TCS
and some Lux
add to this some nice syn guts like Gosen OG Sheep, spiral flex, and PSGD and you should have most people covered.

I also stock some other polys and heaps of multis and some gut but 90% of people I string for use full poly set ups, mainly blue gear, cyberflash or power.

bumblebee
07-26-2008, 03:41 AM
well, im saying no luxilon cuz i don't have enough people wanting luxilon here (believe it or not) i have one customer who wants lux, so i buy separate packages for him, but he wants to try some other polys. most just want polyester, and the other are happy with the gosen og sheep

*breaksracquet
07-26-2008, 04:03 AM
Well, IMO, i like pro supex big ace. nice poly that is quite durable and can create good spin and control. At the moment I do have tecnifibre pro red code in my I.prestige. I like it as well; however I would recommend if someone were to but that string from you, to hybrid it with a soft string to soften up the bed (Pro Red Code is very stiff, I found that out when I hit it the first time this week). Cyberflash would be the last one I would recommend (I haven't played with it, but highly recommended amongst board users, that I have seen).

Matty G
07-26-2008, 05:36 AM
Cyber blue would be a nice alternative to the stiff polys also lots ppl like pht all though the tension loss is crazy

hoodjem
07-26-2008, 05:47 AM
WC Silverstring more than Scorpion.

SPPP, not because I like it (I don't), but because some want a really soft poly.

Much Pro Supex: BG and BA and BAM.

SirBlend12
07-26-2008, 07:55 AM
Get original Pro Hurricane. I've found it better than the Tour version and a regular set is 8 bucks. Reels are 140 at TW. Or they have Ballistic Polymono for 70 per reel. And I'd say that's nothing to sneeze at.

If you do get PH, pre-stretch to compensate for tension loss.
This video is a great example of stretching poly's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=praasXlb0Ls&fmt=18

dork2tennisstud
07-26-2008, 08:39 AM
I string for my old high school tennis team and some other locals. I would recommend CyberBlue, CyberFlash, or Super Smash. Polyon SP isn't quite as good, but it's a little cheaper.

I've never strung for anyone who didn't like one of those, especially in a hybrid with Gosen Micro Sheep.

aussie
07-26-2008, 11:52 PM
If you want to carry just one, you can't go past CyberFlash. Plays well, durable, easy to string and cheap, cheap cheap in reel form if you shop around.

tbini87
07-27-2008, 08:24 AM
cyberflash and cyberblue are good strings at a good price. i would also put big ace on that list. one of my favorite polys, and actually affordable. good luck with business!

PROTENNIS63
07-27-2008, 11:56 AM
all Pro Supex strings are excellent value. They have great polys and synthetics.

schwuller
07-27-2008, 01:52 PM
i think you've really GOT to have some luxillon. because it would seem to me (whether it's the right choice or not), you're going to get people coming in saying things like "what does Federer/Agassi/Whoever use??? I want that." then you'll have to say "well....they all use Luxillon, which i don't have. but this korean poly duramars flex cyber techno is just as good an only costs 5 cents a nautical mile!" in other words, you wont have what the customer is asking for and willing to pay for.

bumblebee
07-27-2008, 05:50 PM
hmm... that's true.
thing is im going to order some lux by packages in case peeps want it...
il have like 5 packs, jst in case..
so now... what i want to know is,
CYBERFLASH or SILVERSTRING?

schwuller
07-28-2008, 11:31 AM
in the strings&stringing section (where we are right now) there is a sticky from Nickb where he reviews poly's. he talks about cyberflash...and all of the rest. have a read. he's knowledgeable, and his review is well-written and get's to the point.

bumblebee
07-28-2008, 05:45 PM
thx.. just read it. really interesting.