PDA

View Full Version : Did Babolat make Rafa (strokes) what they are?

iLose
07-25-2008, 06:10 PM
I know people hate Rafa threads and "what if" threads but my friend and I were talking about this and hear me out.

Rafa is a great player no doubt, I am not a fan boy but I respect that he is the hottest player on tour right now and he is one of the best 3 players in the world, nothing more nothing less... and probably be if he were to use any racquet but still lets look at this.

Rafa's favorite player was Moya, Moya used the Pure Drive and I don't know if he wanted to use the same stick as his favorite player or if he just played best with it but however it happened he ended up with the very powerful and spin friendly Pure Drive. For someone who was a good as Rafa or any top junior player, you must hit the ball with a ton of spin if you want to put it in the court with a Pure Drive, thus is huge top spin started to develop? Also with the pure drive power comes so easy so hitting that running flick backhand would be much harder with lets say a prostaff or a dunlop 200.

He is a great player regardless, and a great athlete I am sure he would be a top pro no matter what racquet he started to use or uses, but I am talking about how his strokes look and HOW he hits the ball, is that a product of the Babolat high powered frames? I mean, the racquet he uses now is basically a pure drive right? Just wondering what everyone else thinks, I don't care about "if he would have beat roger if he had a....blah blah blah"

ThA_Azn_DeViL
07-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Yes, Nadal was forced the backhand he has today, as with every pro :roll:

iLose
07-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Yes, Nadal was forced the backhand he has today, as with every pro :roll:

What??????

tenniko
07-26-2008, 01:15 AM
it's not moya nor babolat. the force behind shaping nadal's strokes are/were toni and clay court.

tenniko
07-26-2008, 01:15 AM
it's not moya nor babolat. the force behind shaping nadal's strokes are/were toni and clay court.

babolatking
07-26-2008, 09:52 AM
if it isn't broke, why fix it

pabletion
07-26-2008, 10:17 AM
What is the point of this thread?????
The player doesnt adjust to the racquet, the racquet adjusts to the player..... U think that if Federer started playing with a Pure Drive, he would hit his strokes like Nadal???? pointless....

grimmbomb21
07-26-2008, 10:51 AM
The player doesnt adjust to the racquet, the racquet adjusts to the player.

That's the dumbest thing I have heard here in a while. Wow.

sureshs
07-26-2008, 11:03 AM
I think OP's point is valid. Without Babolat racquets and poly strings, Nadal would not exist. The player has evolved to fit the racquet and vice versa.

Soonerfan1590
07-26-2008, 11:05 AM
The player doesnt adjust to the racquet, the racquet adjusts to the player

I think thats the dumbest thing I have EVER heard. The racquet's super powers adjust to the players style??? haha

pabletion
07-26-2008, 11:16 AM
I think thats the dumbest thing I have EVER heard. The racquet's super powers adjust to the players style??? haha

You idiot, it adjust to the player in the sense, that THERE ARE NUMEROUS STYLES OF RACQUETS OUT THERE, where you finally choose a racquet that best suits your game; You dont go out and buy a Pro Staff 6.0 because you wanna play serve and volley, and mildly flat strokes, and you keep at it until you can, if in reality thats not the kind of tennis you can play.... the racquet doesnt shape your game, ever!

My first racquet was a Wilson Pro Staff 6.1...., now I use a Bab PUre Storm... I'll save you my oddissey through racquets and how I ended up with the Bab, but in summary, through all the changes in frames thru the years, THE RACQUET ADJUSTED TO MY GAME!!!! moron.....

grimmbomb21
07-26-2008, 11:35 AM
You idiot, it adjust to the player in the sense, that THERE ARE NUMEROUS STYLES OF RACQUETS OUT THERE, where you finally choose a racquet that best suits your game; You dont go out and buy a Pro Staff 6.0 because you wanna play serve and volley, and mildly flat strokes, and you keep at it until you can, if in reality thats not the kind of tennis you can play.... the racquet doesnt shape your game, ever!

My first racquet was a Wilson Pro Staff 6.1...., now I use a Bab PUre Storm... I'll save you my oddissey through racquets and how I ended up with the Bab, but in summary, through all the changes in frames thru the years, THE RACQUET ADJUSTED TO MY GAME!!!! moron.....

Why is he an idiot or a moron? You said it. If you don't elaborate, we have to take your statement the way it sounds. "The racquet adjusts to the player." If you were saying that the brand/model of racquet a player uses is changed to adjust to the players needs, it didn't come out that way.

Shaolin
07-26-2008, 11:44 AM
OP makes a valid point.

Babolats in general have a lot power so if youre a powerful hitter, you have to put extra spin on it to control the ball. If you look at the more successful players using Babolat PD,ADPs, like Nadal, Andreev, Roddick, they have a LOT of spin on their FH to keep it from sailing. So thats why I think these players have developed such a style of hitting, out of necessity because of the power of the Babolat.

Players that hit flatter balls, like Blake, Soderling etc use lower powered racquets with a denser stringbed.

Just like if you go out and use your grandma's bazooka 130 sq inch racquet youre going to have to put tons of top on the ball to keep it in the court than if you went out with a Prestige where you can hit it as hard and flat as you want because its not so powerful.

fridrix
07-26-2008, 05:27 PM
^^^OP does make a valid point. From what I understand, Nadal's very first racquet was a Babolat, and fellow Majorcan Moya was a big influence. Yes the Pure Drive does require a certain type of stroke.