PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop AG100/Dunlop AG500 Tour/Yonex RQis1 Tour Light/Head Radical Pro MP

Rabbit
07-26-2008, 06:55 AM
I received these 4 frames from TW to demo yesterday. A buddy of mine, who is looking for a ProStaff 95 replacement candidate, had called me to hit. We went out and hit for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon.

The order of finish for me was:

1. Dunlop AG 100
2. Yonex RQis 1 Tour Light
3. Dunlop AG 500
4. Head Radical Pro MP

The order of finish for my bud was:

1. Yonex RQis 1 Tour Light
5. Dunlop AG 100
6. Head Radical Pro MP
7. Dunlop AG 500

I'll have to quickly add that these 4 frames are all really nice. The Head finished last, but it wasn't by much. The AG100...well it's just sweet. The numbers for my buddy aren't a mistype. He liked the Yonex that much.

Dunlop AG100

I spent the majority of my time with this frame. I haven't hit with any frame which sounds/feels so much like a frame from my youth. This is probably the only new frame I've hit with in the last several years which felt right in my hand on everything to start.

It came strung with a Dunlop string, M-Fil Tour 16 which was heavily knotched and broke toward the end of our hit. I suspect it was strung from Dunlop and further surmise that it was strung at 60 which is midpoint; further proof was that it was stenciled. I restrung it with a multi at 58 and will play with it today and tomorrow.

Things didn't start out well, the first groundie I hit was a framer and the first 3 volleys were in the net. But, after that, it was a really really nice hit.

Groundstrokes
Off the ground, this frame is very maneuverable. It is also a control oriented stick. Those who've commented that it is a spin machine aren't exaggerating. It again reminded me of wood. The kind of topspin this racket produces is very easy to get and plentiful. Slices are likewise easy. Several have commented that the frame could use some weight. I disagree. The frame weighed, strung, exactly what TW has on their website, 332 grams. I found it be be very well balanced and rock solid off the ground. As noted in another post, I'm looking for something lighter than the 12.7 ounces I'm swinging now as playing 2+ hours in the heat/humidity of regionals proved to be a little taxing.

My preferred groundstroke is the backhand. This frame lined up really well on that side and I was able to come over and under the ball with equal proficiency. Forehands were easy to hit as well. I never felt late or rushed with the frame off the ground and always had a great feel when hitting the ball. Off center hit weren't jarring or tinny at all. They again just felt solid.

Volleys
Volleys have nice pace and direction is easy to get. Touch volleys were also a pleasure with this frame an I found it very user friendly around the net. The frame is a natural at net and doesn't play like a 90. I took volleys from the service line forward and found that I could get great depth and direction with the AG100.

The frame again is way more maneuverable than what I've been playing with and I never had a problem getting the frame into position.

Serves
Many have commented that this is where the AG100 shines. Far be it from me to disagree. I served some with this frame and we played out the point crosscourt. Serves had great direction, spin, and pace. What more can you ask for? Coming in behind them proved to not be a challenge as the frame volleys like a dream.

Returns
Returns were a little different with this frame. I blocked most of them back, but that may have been more due to the serves I was seeing. :) Again, they were solid and well directed. This may be the one area where I need some time with the frame.

All in all, a real winner. The only downside to this frame for me was the grip. The stock grip is just plain slippery. I put a Tournagrip on it and problem solved. If I continue to love this frame, I see leather on it.

Yonex RQis1 Tour Light

My buddy was enamored with this frame. I thought it had the best flex/feel of any Yonex I'd ever hit with. It just felt right.

Groundstrokes
This frame was great off both sides on the ground. It felt like it was too light, but every ball I hit with it had plenty of stability and moved through the ball well. My hitting partner was reticent to let me hit with this frame. He was generating great topspin with it and lauded the control of this frame.

Volleys
I have always loved Yonex frames at net and this one didn't disappoint. It was very maneuverable and volleys were crisp and well placed. My hitting partner isn't as much at home at the net, but he really liked the way this frame felt at net too.

Serves
I didn't serve with this frame, but he did. He hit some great serves with good direction and spin. I didn't see a drop off between his current frame and this one at all.

Dunlop AG500 Tour
I got this frame because it didn't fit what my perception of a good frame is. I've found that doing this often results in a nice surprise. It did here as well. This frame doesn't seem like a frame a 4.5 would like, but it is. It did everything well, the only thing it didn't have was the feel and sound that the AG100 did. Overall, I didn't spend much time with this frame, but I think I could play with it pretty easy.

It's nice to know you have options.

Head Radical Pro MP
This is a really nice frame as well. The major drawback to this frame and the reason it finished a close 4th is the grip. I ordered all 3/8, but this one felt like a dang 1/4! Had the grip been a little more to my liking, I think the frame would definitely finished 2nd or 3rd.

It has great flex and feel. Around the net it was very maneuverable and volleys were a pleasure. I just couldn't get comfortable with the grip size.

I'm playing once today and twice tomorrow with the AG100. I'll post a follow up then.

BreakPoint
07-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Nice review, Rabbit!

Looking forward to your follow-up reviews of the AG100. :)

Mr. Blond
07-26-2008, 11:38 AM
you guys are so making me want one......

I haven't read one negative comment yet.
Why couldn't it be released before I committed to the prestige mid+

damn you tennis marketing!!

jasonbourne
07-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Mr. Blond, there are two comments I recall folks shared about the AG100.

The second negative comments was the stock grip Rabbit pointed out in this thread.

The first negativity I read was the racket was too light in weight. Hence, some modified with extra weight and the minority moved on because they did not want to rectify with frame modifications.

Rabbit, thanks for the AG100 review.

meowmix
07-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Hey, one question Rabbit: do you use a 1hbh or 2?

Rabbit
07-27-2008, 06:11 AM
I played 3 sets of doubles yesterday. I'm playing again today, doubles and then mixed....might not be able to type when I get done, the heat around here is brutal.

Anyway, I had to restring the AG100 as the strings that came in it broke. I put a 17 gauge multi back in it at 58 pounds. This was probably what sealed the deal. My previous experience with a demo was the Prince Mid from TW; however, I never could duplicate the tension that came on the demo. I do think I would prefer a 16 or 16L in this frame rather than a 17. The tension range seems appropriate for this frame strangely enough. It plays great strung at 58 - 60 pounds.

Regardless, the AG100 performed as well as my initial hit.

Serves were the high point. This racket serves like a banshee. I'm a leftie and hitting an inside out serve in the deuce court turned into a percentage serve with this frame. There was a leftie on the other side of the court and hitting serves down the T on the ad side didn't require any effort or forethought. The frame is a natural serving.

Returns started off a little slow. I had to make one adjustment. Curiously, it was the same one I made when I played with the Vilas. For years, I've been able to club/smother returns with my C10. I basically swung more on a level plane than a vertical one. With this frame, hitting topspin returns is much easier, but you have to adjust just a little. I made it a point to get everything out in front and once I did, things came together.

Groundstrokes likewise were really really good. I hit down the middle with great top and a good heavy ball. Control was stellar. I had a lot of confidence hitting off the ground on both sides.

Volleys were a natural. The frame really gives great feedback and you get fantastic direction with it.

All in all, this frame is a winner. I have no complaints, other than the grip. It's funny, but I had to replace the Tournagrip more often, I think because of the stock grip. It is slick and slippery and I don't think very absorbent. I'm going with a 3/8 grip on this one which feels significantly smaller than the 1/2 on my C10. But, I am able to generate more spin which is definetly a plus.

Hey, one question Rabbit: do you use a 1hbh or 2?

I hit a one-hander. With the hitting surface further away from the grip on this frame, you can get more leverage on your shots. It is a natural off the ground. And, you get great racket head speed with it as well.

emmanuel
07-27-2008, 06:30 AM
Great review.
I am totally agree with all points about AG100.
E.

Rabbit
07-28-2008, 04:28 AM
OK, I played 3 hours today, all with the AG100.

This frame is a dream serving. If you need a little boost in your service game, this may well be your fix. After 3 hours of play, I was still kicking balls like crazy. First serves had plenty of MPH and direction and holding serve was never a struggle.

Returns are coming along nicely. As long as you keep everything out in front of you (which should happen anyway) this frame rewards you with some solid returns.

Groundstrokes are just, if not more, powerful as with my C10. I hit a couple of backhands today that were really unbelievable. I was playing dubs with 3 other 4.5s. I hit a backhand from behind the baseline at a guy at net and I must have centered the ball completely. He didn't have time to get his racket up and I nailed him....free Coke time!

Volleys are great as well. This frame volleys really well and you can put the ball on a dime with it.

I haven't found a weakness yet; other than that damn grip... I'll play again Tuesday with it and ship it back to TW Wednesday, probably with an order for 3 with 3/8 grips.

max
07-28-2008, 06:00 AM
Wow!

My C-9s are starting to show their age. Maybe the 100's the way to go next summer. This said, I LOVE the Dunlop grip. . . at least if it's still the same grip as on the Max 200 G.

martin
07-28-2008, 06:41 AM
Wow!

My C-9s are starting to show their age. Maybe the 100's the way to go next summer. This said, I LOVE the Dunlop grip. . . at least if it's still the same grip as on the Max 200 G.

I have both rackets and unfortunately i have to tell you that the grip is not the same anymore. It is now bigger and a little rounder. I liked the old grip better but they still produce quality rackets.
BTW. Can anyone compare the differences between the rqis tour light and the m-fil300/ag300?

plus
07-28-2008, 10:00 AM
What about the low SW of the AG100?
Doesn't it bother at all??
How does the relatively low weight and SW compare to other frames?

I really like the review, tempted to get one, hate leading or customising frames though..

What about the AG 200 16 x 19 which is heavier?

hoodjem
07-28-2008, 10:37 AM
The AG200 16 X 19 is not available in the US. Only an 18 X 20 on the AG200.

plus
07-28-2008, 11:48 AM
The AG200 16 X 19 is not available in the US. Only an 18 X 20 on the AG200.

I live in europe. I have a lot to chose:
AG 100 16 x 19
AG 200 16 x 19
AG 200 18 x 20, and almost 10 grams heavier than the other two

Don't know how SW's and power levels compare though, curious about that

hoodjem
07-28-2008, 11:51 AM
I live in europe. I have a lot to chose:
AG 100 16 x 19
AG 200 16 x 19

What are the differences between these two in playability? (The appearance is the same.)
AG100 is 90; AG200 is 95.

hoodjem
09-13-2010, 08:36 AM
I am thinking of trying an AG500 Tour. I hope it will play a lot like the AG100 but with more spin (and a little more pop).

Is this a reasonable expectation?

The Dampener
09-13-2010, 10:45 AM
HJ, the heads 90 vs. 100. And the balance on the 500T is closer to even. I can't imagine they would be similar. But if yer curious, there's no harm in finding out first hand.