PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Racquet! Help!

KerryJ
07-26-2008, 06:56 AM
I have three Aero Storms. One has a small crack. I have been stringing it just fine, but I want to get the bumper and grommets replaced on it so I can prevent the crack from growing. However, I remember my friend trying to get a cracked racquet strung and they wouldn't do it. My crack is at eleven in the hoop.

Do you think a pro shop would string it? I don't think they will, but what if I told them if it breaks I'll take responsibility and won't hold it against them?

KerryJ
07-26-2008, 07:17 AM
Yulite, do you know anything about this?

zapvor
07-26-2008, 07:30 AM
how bad is the crack?

smarion2
07-26-2008, 08:30 AM
If someone brought me a cracked racquet and told me that I would be fine trying to string it. I would recommend stringing it fairly loose and making sure the racquet is firmly mounted. I've done this with a few frames and gotten away with it. I stung them at 50 pounds btw. You really should start looking for a new frame anyway. It's not gunna last long playing with it. Eventually its going to snap in half just hitting with it.

Zach
07-26-2008, 09:48 AM
I agree with smarion2, eventually, it's just going to break in your hands.

KerryJ
07-26-2008, 09:51 AM
I understand it will eventually break, I just want to prolong it's life as long as possible.

jim e
07-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Seems like if you are going to replace the grommet set, and have a pro shop string it, you would be better off putting that $ towards another racquet, as it will eventually give out anyways. It just prolongs the inevitable, and you may not even get that much use to justify the stringing expense.If $ is an issue with this, maybe you could find what you want used on these forums, would be better $ spent, rather than on a gamble that wont last long anyways.
That is why I do not string any cracked frame that comes my way, just not worth it on the average. I know some will jump in and say they got good use out of a broken racquet, but what are the odds of it really lasting?And in time it will need replaced anyways.And in the meantime you will be hitting with a cracked frame, at a lower tension that you like, so you will not even get the preformance that you want out of your equipment.Just doesn't make sense to me.