PDA

View Full Version : Is the pure storm almost the same as the old Dunlop 300G?

BjornBorg
07-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Both sticks are 98. Both are between 10.8 and 11 oz. strung weight. Both have about the same beam widths. The Storm has a 3pts headlight balance and the 300G has the 4 pts. headlight balance.

The Pure Storm has a slightly higher swingweight (312 to 305 or approximate)

What are the differences? I used to play with a 300G and loved it but felt it lacked just a little bit of "pop". Does the Pure Storm provide that slightly extra power while still being as maneuverable (very important to me as I can't handle the heavier player sticks like I used to)?

Also, what is the best guage for a Pure Storm? If I want to maximize power, is the 17 guage better? What's the best string for the Pure Storm. I'm a 5.0 power baseliner, one hand backhand and semi-western forehand with a pretty big serve and solid slice. Thanks for your help!!!

BjornBorg
07-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Can anybody comment on the differences and similarities of these two sticks?

BjornBorg
07-27-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm surprised that no one has commented on this. Isn't there anybody who used to play with the 300G that sees the similarity with the regular Pure Storm? Even the stiffness index rating is fairly similar.

Just wondering if the "woofer" technology for the Storm and the slightly extra static weight (11 oz. to 10.8 oz.) and swingweight (312 to 300) provide for extra power for the Pure Storm over the 300G?

If that's the case, why is the Pure Storm listed as "low" power by TW and the 300G was "low-medium"? I want a bit more power than what I had with the 300G with the same stroke production.

I'd really appreciate some feedback. I want to consider buying the Storm.

The Wreck
07-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I have both, and I don't find them that similar. Even though the headsize is the same, the 300g feels smaller to me. The Storm has a good bit more 'pop' to me as well. And if I had to go based on feel, the Storm seems a bit more flexible.

In the end though, its all personal feel and preference. You can't decide a racket based on specs since there is no standard....

BjornBorg
07-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks. Finally someone responded! Maybe people hate Bjorn. I think he's one of the five greatest players ever.

Anyway, I think you are right and your responses are what I was hoping for. When I used to use the 300G, I had decent power, but not what I wanted. I wanted a bit more without going to a 11.6 oz stick or higher. I like the swingweight to be in the low 300's to about 316 max.

bertrevert
07-27-2008, 07:24 PM
The old 300g, the black-red one?

Still ahve it, with a lot of lead added.

Way too light, stock.

Agreed, smaller sweetspot than the Pure Storm 07 (stndrd).

The PS has more oomph coming from its 16 mains but is way more inaccurate, again it needs lead.

If you mean teh MFil 300g then taht is a much better racquet than both.