PDA

View Full Version : MSV Focus Hex

In)SpiRe
07-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Hey guys,

Thinking about ordering maybe a couple sets to try out. Gonna string this up on a K90, will do a full job first and if I like it, I'll probably do a hybrid with it with Gosen in the crosses. Any suggestions on the gauge, and what tension?

WBF
07-26-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm using the string and loving it. Stats below in sig. But then... I used to play with Babolat Ballistic Polymono 16G and loved it, so I have odd tastes!

In)SpiRe
07-26-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm using the string and loving it. Stats below in sig. But then... I used to play with Babolat Ballistic Polymono 16G and loved it, so I have odd tastes!

Thanks for the answer! Could you describe some of it's characteristics maybe?

In)SpiRe
07-26-2008, 02:42 PM
If anyone else wants to chip in, that would be much appreciated!

Kevo
07-26-2008, 03:03 PM
I posted some comments on it a while back. I didn't care for it. I liked the non-hex version better. To give you an idea of my tastes, I like these polys:

Topspin CyberPower (Blue)
Topspin CyberFlash
Kirschbaum Competition
Kirschbaum ProLine II
Luxilon Ace
Gosen Polylon SP
Luxilon BigBanger

jsomrak
07-27-2008, 10:53 AM
ive used in two racquets with very different characteristics and i really liked it in both. first used in rds 001 mid at 55lbs. i found great control and spin, feel at net was good. i didn't like the lack of power. i did beat two guys that had my number though. they commented they thought it was coming at them faster than it was, but the spin was hard to control. serve had good placement and spin but lacked my usual power. I did not hybrid it. in my Prince ozone pro tour, i found pretty much the same actually. i think if i use it again ill hybrid it with gut or wilson sensation. I used blue gear and sensation in my other ozone and love it at 60 lbs. msv is a good string for those who aren't in need of power. i say try it

jsomrak
07-27-2008, 10:55 AM
i also should say that the 1.23 is better than the thinner versions.

In)SpiRe
07-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks, I went for a set. Gonna string it up on a K90 with Gosen crosses. I'll write up how it plays later.

Casco
07-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the answer! Could you describe some of it's characteristics maybe?

I tried this string and other Hex strings thinking I would like them. I found that they grab the ball a bit unpredictably. I think it is because the orientation of the edge is not always the same on each string or section of string, and they do grab the ball, so I just felt as though I have better control with a good co-poly or rough co-poly. As much as I like the idea of even more spin, I've stopped experimenting with shaped strings. My favorite string has been ALU Rough, and after much experiemnetation with other strings not measuring up, I have found that I like Pacific Poly Force Xtreme enough to want to keep experimenting with it.

filthy_dude
07-27-2008, 05:49 PM
I actually enjoy the thinner gauge of this string. I have the 18g strung at 62 lbs. on my PDT+. It's a pretty good poly and i thought it had pretty good bite on the ball.

WBF
07-28-2008, 04:29 AM
I tried this string and other Hex strings thinking I would like them. I found that they grab the ball a bit unpredictably. I think it is because the orientation of the edge is not always the same on each string or section of string, and they do grab the ball, so I just felt as though I have better control with a good co-poly or rough co-poly. As much as I like the idea of even more spin, I've stopped experimenting with shaped strings. My favorite string has been ALU Rough, and after much experiemnetation with other strings not measuring up, I have found that I like Pacific Poly Force Xtreme enough to want to keep experimenting with it.

Do you think the 'hex' is anything more than marketing? I like the string for what it is, but I sincerely doubt there is any unpredictability in the strings 'grab' of the ball.

In)SpiRe
07-28-2008, 10:08 AM

What would you say the difference between The Pacific and MSV strings are? I have a set of Xtreme in my bag, but never played with it.

gotwheels
08-10-2008, 08:16 AM
I am playing the MSV Focus Hex 1.18 in a SG hybrid currently and find it to be an arm friendly string, with good all round playing characteristics. My standard string for the past 2+ years has been Pro Supex Big Ace 1.22. These two strings are comparable, although currently I am giving the edge to the MSV Focus Hex. My serve and drop shots are still adapting to the MSV. The Hex profile contributes to spin, but nothing significant or magical.

Would someone compare the MSV Co- Focus and the MSV Focus Hex? Is there a performance/play difference, other than the Hex profile difference?

The MSV strings are definitely worth a trial.

HappyAndFriendlyAlways
08-10-2008, 08:52 AM

i love the black color, what color do u use?

Max Winther
08-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Would someone compare the MSV Co- Focus and the MSV Focus Hex? Is there a performance/play difference, other than the Hex profile difference?

The MSV strings are definitely worth a trial.

In my experience, they are the same string, just with a hexagonal profile on Focus Hex. I bet one could not tell the difference in a playtest with the same tension, gauge, and racquet.

Lloyd Barcenilla
08-12-2008, 08:59 AM
i also should say that the 1.23 is better than the thinner versions.

Why do you think that?

hoodjem
12-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks, I went for a set. Gonna string it up on a K90 with Gosen crosses. I'll write up how it plays later.
I wonder how this hybrid turned out?

Rafter4ever
12-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Whats the recommended tension for the HEX ? I am currently using Kirschbaum Pro line II at 55 for the mains (syn gut 15 for the crosses) and wonder if you have to increase or lower the tension for the HEX...

hoodjem
12-31-2008, 07:40 PM
Some say it is very soft, so they suggest raising the tension a little over other polys.

I'd also like to know the answer to this question. (I'm waiting to string up a set.)

In)SpiRe
01-01-2009, 11:12 AM
I wonder how this hybrid turned out?

I actually ended up going for a full job of it. It played great, but I didn't get to play with it for too long.

jukebox
01-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Currently I have MSV focus hex 1.18 mains @ 57 with gamma synthetic crosses @ 55 and I liked it a lot when I first strung it up. I stopped playing for 2 weeks and started up again yesterday but was blasting my balls well out of the court when I tried to hit really flat. I'm guessing it's because the tension went down.

So for my next string job should I go full MSV? What tension would you recommend? I'm a bit wary of full poly setups because I got tennis elbow a while back from using full SPPP @ 57.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

jukebox
01-07-2009, 01:01 AM
I made a mistake in my previous post, I'm actually using the 1.23mm MSV focus hex

Rafter4ever
01-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Strung the MSV at 56.5 with 15 gauge syn gut on the crosses. This string is wicked, I noticed my first serves had a lot more pop and power, didn't noticed too much on the second serves, but felt like I had good control. Groundstrokes were solid, had a lot of control. Really like this string, probably will swith from Kirscbaum Pro line 2 to the 1.18mm.

Might try a full poly using 1.18mm in mains and 1.10mm for the crosses.

jsomrak
01-14-2009, 06:00 PM
if you like the focus hex, you should try the new co focus. Ive been using them for a month or so and love it. I strung it up at 58 lbs on my PDR. Probably will try 55 next. It has great control, nice feel on serve, net. Its well worth the demo. I think everyone will like it better, especially if you use a stiff frame or have arm pain issues.

TennisandMusic
01-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Strung the MSV at 56.5 with 15 gauge syn gut on the crosses. This string is wicked, I noticed my first serves had a lot more pop and power, didn't noticed too much on the second serves, but felt like I had good control. Groundstrokes were solid, had a lot of control. Really like this string, probably will swith from Kirscbaum Pro line 2 to the 1.18mm.

Might try a full poly using 1.18mm in mains and 1.10mm for the crosses.

That's interesting. I played with MSV Hex and PL2 tonight in my two racquets and thought the PL2 had way more control and spin, while the MSV Hex just had more power. But the Hex seemed to have a mushy feel with not as much control. The trajectory off the string bed for the hex was much more flat while the PL2 had much more lift and then a drop as a result of spin.

l_gonzalez
01-15-2009, 03:11 AM
I just bought a reel of Focus Hex 1.10mm, black.

I'll string up my racquets in the next couple of days and let you know how they play. I usually play hybrids but i'm gonna do a full job on one racquet to try it out, see how it plays.

ls206
01-15-2009, 08:23 AM
I played with full hex 1.1 and a hybrid of hex 1.1 and maxim touch I did notice the difference of a multi cross, there was greater feel and some more power/elasticity, but I preferred the full 1.10mm as it allowed me to take bigger swings and I didn't suffer any loss of touch at the net.

Rafter4ever
01-15-2009, 09:56 AM
That's interesting. I played with MSV Hex and PL2 tonight in my two racquets and thought the PL2 had way more control and spin, while the MSV Hex just had more power. But the Hex seemed to have a mushy feel with not as much control. The trajectory off the string bed for the hex was much more flat while the PL2 had much more lift and then a drop as a result of spin.

Maybe its because that I have been playing with the older strings and thus felt like it was getting good control.

Looking forward to the CO Hex also. The reel is only $70, can' beat that

Deck
01-20-2009, 07:04 PM
I gave a test with a full set up @54# with MSV hex and it felt kind of dead. Soft but very little feed back. Felt the same anywhere on the racquet face and very little pop on my volleys. I'm going back to my Syngut poly set up.

!Tym
01-20-2009, 07:41 PM
if you like the focus hex, you should try the new co focus. Ive been using them for a month or so and love it. I strung it up at 58 lbs on my PDR. Probably will try 55 next. It has great control, nice feel on serve, net. Its well worth the demo. I think everyone will like it better, especially if you use a stiff frame or have arm pain issues.

Do you mean the new MSV Evo string that's see-through clear in color? OR are you talking abou the standard Co-Focus string that's supposedly the exact same string as the Hex version just withouth the roughened up Hex abrasion.

To be honest, I wasn't impressed with the 1.18 Hex. It was ok feeling, but kind of just blah...one of those strings you don't really have a good reason to cut out per say but you just want to anyway to try something different. It was pretty crisp, but had a muted sound to it that I didn't like. Basically like a lot of people I didn't really think the Hex abrasion really did anything other than to make the response more inconsistent. It was a case where I felt like the abrasion almost interferred with the pure ball feel that the string material itself may have been capable of.

If I were to buy this string again, I would try it in the 1.10 only, because well it's 1.10 and that's very hard to find in a string that won't snap in two seconds. A thinness of that guage just makes ANYTHING play good in my opinion.

The one I'm interested in though is their standard co-focus in red 1.18. Why? Because I KNOW a 1.10 would never last for me, beyond more than thirty minutes to an hour at most in anything but something like a Prestige Classic 600 with an uber dense string pattern.

I've read one or two people say that the non-hex version (Co-Focus) plays much better than the Hex, but the standard company line is that they're the same exact string with the only difference being the abrasion.

_mats_
01-20-2009, 09:07 PM
=Do you think the 'hex' is anything more than marketing? I like the string for what it is, but I sincerely doubt there is any unpredictability in the strings 'grab' of the ball.

hah yeah, that was too much.

Think of the surface area of the tennis ball as opposed to the combined surface area of all the strings that make contact with the ball, extremely unlikely

!Tym
01-20-2009, 10:21 PM
hah yeah, that was too much.

Think of the surface area of the tennis ball as opposed to the combined surface area of all the strings that make contact with the ball, extremely unlikely

No, I did not mean that literally. Just an impression. Nothing spectacular about the string for me, and for some reason I really didn't like the feel that much. Can't put my finger on it, but just no soul that string.

Max Winther
01-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Very few poly's have feel. If your looking for feel, I'd look elseware, although the hex 1.10 has some of the best feel of any poly out there.

!Tym
01-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Very few poly's have feel. If your looking for feel, I'd look elseware, although the hex 1.10 has some of the best feel of any poly out there.

No, I'm actually one who hates multifilaments for the most part even though they're supposed to have "feel." ...I find them mushy. I use polys because they're the only strings I can use that don't kill my elbow (kevlar) but still give me the control and durability I need. With standard synthetic strings, I was breaking them every 20 minutes to an hour every time out. It was just a waste of money, particularly when I would try out some of the premium stuff.

It was just a very bland feeling string. I preferred Blue Gear to it for instance, even the old generation polys. I like crisp feeling strings. That's why I like gut, it's a soft string that's amazingly still crisp.

A better way to say it is that I like strings that give a good thwack to pingy sound on impact, not a muted response like the Pro Poly Plasma.

!Tym
01-21-2009, 12:05 PM
In any case, anyone else with experience using both the regular Co-Forcus and the Hex version? I'm puzzled because I've read those who say they play pretty much the same, are technically the same string except for the surface abrasion; and yet I read through the archives and found one or two who seemed to indicate that the Co-Focus played noticeably better than the Hex version. Basically, I want a red reel right now that has a thin guage but not so thin (1.10 like the Hex) that it'll break on me every hour or less. Actually, to be honest, I broke a 1.18 Hex hybrid in thirty minutes once as well on a big mishit (I take very violent cuts at the ball). That's why 1.18 is about as thin as I can reasonably go, and still not get the annoying side effect of having to restring my rackets every time out.

The Pro Line 2 looks promising, but I just can't justify twice the price when (I have to admit) my biggest motivation is I just want a cool looking red string. Performance wise, the 1.18 Hex was fine for me, not the best ever, but more than acceptable in all areas. Very balanced playing properties across the board for me.

Max Winther
01-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Oh ok. Well, for me, Co-focus and Focus Hex played very similar. I tend to think the slight difference was due to the gauge. I tried the co focus in 16 and the hex in the 1.10. I'd say if you are dead set on a red poly, then the 1.18 hex is a fine choice. Good price too. You can always play around with tension too and find the best setup.

NoobWannabe
01-24-2009, 11:39 PM
No, I'm actually one who hates multifilaments for the most part even though they're supposed to have "feel." ...I find them mushy. I use polys because they're the only strings I can use that don't kill my elbow (kevlar) but still give me the control and durability I need. With standard synthetic strings, I was breaking them every 20 minutes to an hour every time out. It was just a waste of money, particularly when I would try out some of the premium stuff.

It was just a very bland feeling string. I preferred Blue Gear to it for instance, even the old generation polys. I like crisp feeling strings. That's why I like gut, it's a soft string that's amazingly still crisp.

A better way to say it is that I like strings that give a good thwack to pingy sound on impact, not a muted response like the Pro Poly Plasma.

I think you guys are mistaken "feel" for "comfort" well may be I am wrong but I thought "feel" has something to do with how much shockwaves sent to your elbow and shoulder, the more of the shockwaves the higher the score in this "feel" category. Stiffer string beds, stiffer frames, etc., = more feel, less energy absorption, more enrgy returned. "Comfort" is the oposite, less shock because more energy is absorbed due sorfness of the stringbed or/and frames etc.

Genesys
01-25-2009, 03:44 AM
What kind of game does MSV HEX fit ?

hoodjem
01-25-2009, 10:41 AM
In one of AG100s I have MSV Hex 1.10 mains crossed with Gosen OG Micro 17g. Tensions are 53m/56x.

Very nice and crisp. Crazy spin and lotsa pop. Just keeps getting better.

And I should say that the 1.10 gauge has very nice feel for a poly.

hoodjem
01-25-2009, 10:49 AM
I think you guys are mistaken "feel" for "comfort" well may be I am wrong but I thought "feel" has something to do with how much shockwaves sent to your elbow and shoulder, the more of the shockwaves the higher the score in this "feel" category. Stiffer string beds, stiffer frames, etc., = more feel, less energy absorption, more enrgy returned.

I don't think it's quite this simple. I believe "feel" does have to do with feedback to the hand and arm, but I don't believe that there is any perfect correlation to stiffer string-beds or stiffer racquets.

I have hit with very stiff racquets that had no feel, and flexible racquets that had a lot of feel. I think that with strings, it has more to do with elasticity and ball-pocketing, not stiffness.

But regarding comfort, I think most players would agree that soft strings are more comfortable. But you can have soft strings that also have lots of feel, such as natural gut--which are the softest of all and have the most feel of all strings.

NoobWannabe
01-25-2009, 06:32 PM
I don't think it's quite this simple. I think "feel" does have to do with feedback to the hand and arm, but I don't believe that there is any perfect correlation to a stiffer string-beds or stiffer racquets.

I have hit with very stiff racquets that had no feel, and flexible racquets that had a lot of feel. I think that with strings, it has more to do with elasticity and ball-pocketing, not stiffness.

But regarding comfort, I think most players would say that soft strings are more comfortable. But you can have soft strings that also have lots of feel, such as natural gut--which are the softest of all and have the most feel of all strings.

You are probably right, this is not as simple as I have posted earlier, but I think the attribute that you are referring to is "comfort" not "feel", natural guts give you a very consistent stringbed which helps you reproduce shots easier. But technically, "feel" has alot to do with the amount and the consistency of energy transfered from the impact to your arm. And stiffer mediums transmit energy best.

But then again you are probably right, because there is this "feel" where you use physics to explain all the craps the happen at the point of impact, and there's this other "feel" where everything is completely subjective to the players.

beneszilo
01-26-2009, 01:14 AM
Is focus hex better than pro supex big ace?

hoodjem
01-26-2009, 06:10 AM
They have similar softness for polys and MSV Hex has ridges on it, but "better"? It depends on what you want.

PROTENNIS63
01-26-2009, 08:54 AM

Focus Hex feels so dead. It is the worst string MSV make IMO.

beneszilo
01-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanky you guys.
Now I play with Tecnifibre pro redcode but i consider switch to big ace.

Storm_Kyori
01-26-2009, 11:05 AM

I'm trying to fnd that out myself. I'm waiting for Focus Hex to go dead...or well to stop playing the way i like it or whe I think it's time to switch out my strings. I have a set of BA 1.25 waiting to get strungs on my two Aero Storms as my mains with Xcel Power as my crosses.

gflyer
01-29-2009, 07:31 PM
I played Big Ace on my AG200 before switching to AG100 and really didn't like it. I've tried all kind of tensions and different gauges. I had no control and no feel. I hated it.
MSV Hex 1.10 on my AG100 is just great. Great spin and very good power and feel (for a co-poly).
I've never tried Big Ace on my AG100 so I don't have a direct comparison.

Lloyd Barcenilla
02-05-2009, 03:34 AM
Anyone used Yellow MSV hex?

Just wondering what type of yellow it is? Similar to PHT?