PDA

View Full Version : Poly String Recommendations.

coolblue123
07-27-2008, 03:32 AM
Just had a bad experience with Yonex Polytour. It felt dead, hard on the arm, and spin UNfriendly.
Here are my criterias for a poly:
AFFORDABLE (< $11)
Easy On Arm and elbows
Liveily and responsive
Relatively Spin friendly

Been using Multifilament, thought I wanted to give another string a try.

Thanks for any help. The string is going on a Yonex RDS003.

Iguodala
07-27-2008, 05:23 AM
If you want a softer, more comfortable poly, the 2 strings that everyone talks about here would be Signum Pro Poly Plasma and Topspin Cyberflash.

Also i've heard Pro Supex Big Ace and Pro Supex Blue Gear a lot. TennisWarehouse doesn't carry Pro Supex so if you want to try it go to stringdepot.com Both strings are soft polys, plus Blue Gear is textured so you can get lots of spin.

All the strings i mentioned are under $11 a pack i THINK.....also you have a wide wide variety of colors for choices =P Signum is orange, Cyberflash is silver, Bluegear is blue, and Big Ace is red.

I guess if i had to recommend one i would recommend Bluegear first, it has the best spin potential. Signum is probably the softest, but many say it is slightly muted, you say you want the string to be responsive so if you try Signum, maybe play a little without a dampener if you use one and see how that feels.

Matty G
07-27-2008, 08:17 AM
You should really give cyber power/blue a try . Iv just changed to it and absolutely love the stuff. Give it a try you wont be dissapointed !

tbini87
07-27-2008, 08:20 AM
you should definitely look into topspin cyberflash and blue. also look into pro supex big ace. i would go with the 17g because that would seem to fit your criteria pretty well.

coolblue123
07-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks all! Iam putting on both a RDS 003 and a APDC. Will let everyone know...

aussie
07-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Ive tried a number and have settled on CyberFlash in a hybrid with either PSGD or Head syn gut PPS. Cheap, playable, comfortable, durable with plenty of spin plus control. Everything I look for.

nocab
07-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Try the topspin cyberpower(blue) in the mains and topspin cyberflash in the crosses. It is nice on your arm, spin friendly, decent power and really cheap. I use the 1.20mm 17L or 18 gauge. I've used all cyberpower, but think this hybrid is a bit better.

Fedace
07-27-2008, 08:08 PM
I would recommend Kirschbaum Proline 2. either 16 or 17G. 18g one seem to be too bouncy. it is relatively soft and very spin friendly and nice power too. and fairly good touch for a poly string. there are more powerful poly like Alu power but proline 2 seem to have the best touch of any of them.

2nd_Serve
07-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Try raeding Nickb's poly reviews. He has info on almost every poly out there. You should check it out.

DLtoken
07-28-2008, 06:11 AM
Going to also suggest TopSpin Cyber Power Blue. I have one customer who is absolutely addicted to it. It's very soft and holds tension well.

hoodjem
07-28-2008, 07:41 AM
If you want a softer, more comfortable poly, the 2 strings that everyone talks about here would be Signum Pro Poly Plasma and Topspin Cyberflash.

Also i've heard Pro Supex Big Ace and Pro Supex Blue Gear a lot. TennisWarehouse doesn't carry Pro Supex so if you want to try it go to stringdepot.com Both strings are soft polys, plus Blue Gear is textured so you can get lots of spin.

All the strings i mentioned are under $11 a pack i THINK.....also you have a wide wide variety of colors for choices =P Signum is orange, Cyberflash is silver, Bluegear is blue, and Big Ace is red.

I guess if i had to recommend one i would recommend Bluegear first, it has the best spin potential. Signum is probably the softest, but many say it is slightly muted, you say you want the string to be responsive so if you try Signum, maybe play a little without a dampener if you use one and see how that feels.

This is a confusing response:
SPPP is soft, but Cyberflash is not--actually being on the crisp side. (And yes, everyone talks about both.)

The address for the Pro Supex seller is stringsdepotplus.com (with an 's' after string). The listed address will take you to a seller of guitar strings, yarns, and sewing thread. (But heck, if you want to play tennis with these in your racquet, go ahead.)

Also, calling Blue Gear a "soft poly" might be stretching things a a bit (pun intended), as it is rather stiff.

Iguodala
07-28-2008, 05:54 PM
This is a confusing response:
SPPP is soft, but Cyberflash is not--actually being on the crisp side. (And yes, everyone talks about both.)

The address for the Pro Supex seller is stringsdepotplus.com (with an 's' after string). The listed address will take you to a seller of guitar strings, yarns, and sewing thread. (But heck, if you want to play tennis with these in your racquet, go ahead.)

Also, calling Blue Gear a "soft poly" might be stretching things a a bit (pun intended), as it is rather stiff.

My bad about the stringsdepot thing xP

Yes you're right, Cyberflash is more crisp, but it's still a co-poly, and no where near as stiff and bad for your arm as most regular polys are. And one of my friends has a full job of BlueGear and i've played with it before, it's nice on the arm, not at all stiff. Again maybe not quite as soft as SPPP but still very comfortable by poly standards. He said he wanted a string that was "easy on arm and elbows", not just soft.

coolblue123
07-29-2008, 03:30 AM
Just got in for 5 sets of Cyber Flash. Would this be a true statement then? Cyber Flash plays similar to Multifilament strings then?

0d1n
07-29-2008, 04:39 AM
Just got in for 5 sets of Cyber Flash. Would this be a true statement then? Cyber Flash plays similar to Multifilament strings then?

No, it would not be true. Cyberflash is a stiff-ish poly. SPPP is not "soft" either.
From the ones I tried ... the softer ones were Gosen Polylon SP (don't touch the regular ... it's stiff and generally plays like crap), and Topspin CyberPower. I think PolyPlasma Pure is also a bit softer than "normal" SPPP, but I wouldn't trust my memory on this one.

Edit.
Also ... to be honest given your requirements in the OP, I would say you are actually NOT looking for a poly. You might be better served sticking with what you have ... or finding a better multi than the one you are using currently.
Good multis for a good price are PSGM and Pro Kennex IQ Elite in my book. Sensation is cheaper but it breaks in about 30 seconds (no need to play with it ... staring at it is enough ...it gets scared easily :p)

Volkl Power Fiber II, Wilson NXT Tour, TF X1, some of the Babolat multis ...etc are all good also but we're talking about different prices if you want to go that way.

coolblue123
07-30-2008, 04:02 AM
Thank Odin:

I think I'll give the Cyberflash a try. But from what I've been hearing, it seems like I'll be sticking to Multi's for awhile...

I heard TW has a good forum for trading strings? =)

coolblue123
07-30-2008, 04:09 AM
Thank Odin:

I was wondering if Cyber Power has some of the spin properties as Cyber Flash does?

hoodjem
07-30-2008, 06:01 AM
One of my friends has a full job of BlueGear and I've played with it before, it's nice on the arm, not at all stiff. Again maybe not quite as soft as SPPP but still very comfortable by poly standards.
OK. Guess it's just a difference of opinion.

Just had a bad experience with Yonex Polytour. It felt dead, hard on the arm, and spin UNfriendly.
Here are my criterias for a poly:
AFFORDABLE (< $11)
Easy On Arm and elbows
Liveily and responsive
Relatively Spin friendly

Been using Multifilament, thought I wanted to give another string a try.

Thanks for any help. The string is going on a Yonex RDS003.

I think Odin might be right. It will not be easy to find a poly that is both "lively" and "easy on the arm" in your price range.

But that said, for under $11 I think your best bets are Cyberflash 1.20 or PS Big Ace Micro 1.15--either strung with a lower tension.

ey039524
07-30-2008, 12:52 PM
No, it would not be true. Cyberflash is a stiff-ish poly. SPPP is not "soft" either.
From the ones I tried ... the softer ones were Gosen Polylon SP (don't touch the regular ... it's stiff and generally plays like crap), and Topspin CyberPower. I think PolyPlasma Pure is also a bit softer than "normal" SPPP, but I wouldn't trust my memory on this one.

I think SPPP is a soft poly. Pure is just white, but otherwise the same as regular SPPP.

0d1n
07-31-2008, 01:45 AM
Thank Odin:

I was wondering if Cyber Power has some of the spin properties as Cyber Flash does?

I think any difference in spin will be insignificant for you when compared with the other benefits which you seem to require (i.e softness ... better, more lively feel)

I think SPPP is a soft poly. Pure is just white, but otherwise the same as regular SPPP.

SPPP may have been soft when it was launched, but like I said there are many "softer" alternatives currently.
With regards to the "pure" I used it a long time ago, and for a short period of time so can't really contradict you based on my own experience but I think I've read plenty of comments coming from pretty experienced people who said they are different. Anyway ... I digress :).

PS.
To the OP...I forgot about Poly Polar...that is also a very soft poly, but it's now (I think) discontinued and it does lose tension pretty fast.

coolblue123
07-31-2008, 03:17 AM
Thanks Odin:

I've been reading different opinions, I heard we should string our polys 5-10% less than our non-poly counterparts.
Currently, I've been stringing my racquets at 61 lbs. Just seems like stringing the poly at 56-58 (6lbs to 3lbs less) seems alot.
Any advice on this? thx!

0d1n
08-01-2008, 12:10 AM
I go down about 2 kilos (4 pounds) when stringing full poly instead of full multi.
Each racket / string combo will react slightly differently though, so just use this as a guideline and expect that you will need adjustments the second time around :)