PDA

View Full Version : racket/string life issue?

pfchang
07-27-2008, 06:35 AM
it has come to my attention that my Speedport Tour has a relatively shorter string life.
After i switched, regular polys strung around 60lbs (usually 17 gauge) have been breaking around every 1-2 weeks
is it just me or are the speedport series more prone to string popping because of the ports?

if so, i would assume that babolats have the same issue then, no?

gcfalcon09
07-27-2008, 08:24 AM
i think it is because u are using a softer string possibly. the higher the gauge the softer the string. and also if you put a huge amount of top spin then they will also break. But it should not have anything to do with the racquet. also can put something like an enduro or luxilon on the mains.

pfchang
07-27-2008, 08:53 AM
well, if you think about it, both babolat and prince claim that the woofer/speedports allow greater string movement.

isn't that gonna speed up the string breaking process?

SonRK
07-27-2008, 09:24 AM
My Speedport Red would pop often, BUT when I switched to the Black and now Tour and using Port Holes (traditional) it had a much more normal string life. Of course, my normal string life now is just 1 week or at most 2 weeks, and I wouldn't want to try Port Holes because of the excessive string movement, it might pop even faster O_O

cork_screw
07-27-2008, 09:41 AM
try lowering the string tension on the polys. personally, i would lower it to 50 or high 40's and hybridize it w/ a syn gut, perhaps babolat as their syn guts have been known for good durability. stringing a poly full w/ high tension isn't that common. maybe that's what's causing the breakage, they're suppose to be one of the most durable string types out there.