PDA

View Full Version : Racquets

ElectricTennis
07-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Well, I have been using Wilson all my life. At 10, I bought a Wilson Energy for 18 dollars and took some courses. Around 11-12 I received a Wilson Volcano, which I did not like. I have not played tennis activley since I was ten, due to a move. I am almost 14 now, in a couple of days I will be, and now I have the Wilson nCode racquet. (I got it at Dick's Sporting Goods a while back). I love it, and I can play great with it, but, I will need a new racquet soon.
Some info about me:
I am very bad at serving, and am however good at rallying and volleying (My brother says that). I am not that great of a tennis player. I am below 3.0 probably around a 2 something.

Now, can you recommend me a Racquet that would be good for me? Thank you.

Return_Ace
07-27-2008, 09:33 AM
That's not really much info there...

I mean:

"the Wilson nCode racket" says nothing about what racket it really is... there should be a model name on the side of the racket.

If you love it and play great with it why will you "need a new racket soon" ? Are you going to smash it on the ground within the next 3 weeks or something ? :lol:

And why not just buy the same racket again if you think it's so good.

And if you want us to recommend you a racket you've got to tell us a price range...

ElectricTennis
07-27-2008, 10:04 AM
OH sorry!
Its Midsize, 69.2 cm's length, 288 Grams, 613 cm squared head size.
Its not going to brake, but at the momment its my only racquet, and I was going to move up to a better one/use the nCode as a backup.

I don't remember the grip size off the top of my head. I was just wondering is someone could give a general idea of a good racquet in the range of 60 US Dollars to 100 Us Dollars, maybe 120. I am still not that great, and my parents want me to buy my own stuff, as they believe it builds independence.

AznRamenDude
07-27-2008, 10:18 AM
I dont even know any nCode that is 95 sq in head size that is only 10.1 oz...

Well the closet racquet that i see is the wilson nTour.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-WNT.html

Murray_Maniac
07-27-2008, 10:23 AM
You should seriously look @ the Prince 03 hybrid hornet mp. It has great power and control for players your level. Its a great deal also for your price range.

slkbassist
07-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Hmm.
1. In my opinion, it depends on how serious you are about playing, if you want to add a new racquet. If you play occasionally and don't break strings often, there is no need to spend cash if you are already happy. Also you mentioned that you are not a good server, but good at rallying and volleys- I would only buy if you plan on getting more lessons, or at least play with someone better than you to get pointers. That being said, if you want a new racquet just cause, then by all means buy one.

2. I would suggest maybe demoing a few racquets, from a few companies, not just wilson. Sometimes a racquet you never would have thought of, maybe the right fit.

3. I'm not sure about your playing style, but different people have different needs. With my style of play, I've found over the years I prefer to have a midplus frame (95-98 sqin.) with a denser 18x20 pattern- both to help control my shots since I use little spin. I've found out recently that I play much better with a heavier racquet, which is head light (balance leans towards the handle not the head)

4. Finally since you liked your ncode (which version by the way- there are many different n-codes), try another one in the same series but one that may have more weight (something at least 300 grams).

the wise wizard
07-27-2008, 10:29 AM
i'd say yonex rds 003 seems to be a good upgrade, or a head radical of some kind

ElectricTennis
07-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah its that one there (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-WNT.html). I misread the side when I was typing. Sorry. (It says nCode on it)

I usually practice with my older brother who is in college now. I plan on playng for High School aswell. He let me try his Prince 03 Hornet Hybrid. I did not like it.

I was thinking of trying a Slazenger, which is why I made a post on it, which did not receive any info wether or not they are really any good.

Thanks for the help.

slkbassist
07-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Ok, so you have the nTour ncode.

That is actually a good top level "tweener" racquet. Not a beginners one, but not true players racquet (Although it was supposedly the one that Justin Henin had been using). Because of this, again I would suggest, to perhaps play and improve some more before buying.

If you want to buy though, I would suggest looking for a racquet that weighs a bit more than the nTour, and has more of a head light balance. The added heft could help your serve a little bit, and if you like to come to the net to volley, a head light racquet is a good choice.

For Wilson try maybe an nPro nCode, or a nSix-Two ncode. If you want try a Head Radical or a Head Instinct. As for ****enger, I am not familiar with their styles- but browse Tennis Warehouse's website and see if there is a racquet that seems like it may suit you, then demo it.

****I just realized, you do have the nTour ncode right? It should say someplace on your racquet. Because I remember that there is just an nCode raquet by Wilson, however, this is a basic beginners racquet sold usually at Walmart or K-Mart. If this is the case, then there are plenty or racquets which could be a step up.

ElectricTennis
07-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Nope. It is the $90 nTour sold at Dicks Sporting Goods online.
I don't think my parents would be fond of me demoing a racquet.
My brother loves Dunlop though, and Recommends I try it over Slazenger.
Thanks. I have decided I will wait till mid-way next season to buy a new racquet.

slkbassist
07-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Alright, sounds good. When you you do decide, hopefully, you will have a good focus on your style of gameplay.

Dunlop is a good company too. Look at either the 200 or 300 versions (Aerogels or revolutions, or whichever one).

But looking just at companies means nothing. Each has a variety of racquets, which tend to fit different styles. Then you also have variations in racquets- two nTours will not play the same.

ElectricTennis
07-27-2008, 06:05 PM
As I imagined. I might get a racquet for situations, like a good serving racquet if I need to server very good, and maybe one that is perfect for volleying/rallying. Two racquets is all I would need. I don't see the need for going out and having seven in one bag unless you break racquets like pencil lead.

crazytennis
07-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Nope. It is the $90 nTour sold at Dicks Sporting Goods online.
I don't think my parents would be fond of me demoing a racquet.
My brother loves Dunlop though, and Recommends I try it over Slazenger.
Thanks. I have decided I will wait till mid-way next season to buy a new racquet.

If that is your racquet, I don't think you should buy a new one just yet. Use the money to get a couple of good lessons. Maybe try adding some weight to the racquet's head and handle or something , rather than buying a new one right away. I know adding weight is not the best thing for a beginner but you could try doing it just so you don't have to buy a new racquet right away, if you really hate yours.
And also, Dunlop and Slazenger as basically the same company but have different racquets, I think.

Return_Ace
07-28-2008, 02:58 AM
As I imagined. I might get a racquet for situations, like a good serving racquet if I need to server very good, and maybe one that is perfect for volleying/rallying.

It doesn't quite work like that....

You should always go for the racket that gives you the best all round performance...

What happens if you use your serving racket but come up against a good returner ? You'll end up rallying and then you won't be playing as good tennis as you could be. Or what if you want to serve and volley ?

ElectricTennis
07-28-2008, 07:54 AM
It doesn't quite work like that....

You should always go for the racket that gives you the best all round performance...

What happens if you use your serving racket but come up against a good returner ? You'll end up rallying and then you won't be playing as good tennis as you could be. Or what if you want to serve and volley ?

As I thought, but I was thinking, if I knew the type of player I was going against I guess I.... Nevermind. Yeah I shoudl get a racquet thats suits me in all areas.

beedlejuice22
07-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Why do you want go get a new racket anyway? You sound like a beginner and it seems like the NTour would be fine for you. My advice would be stick with it until it gets too heavy for you or you take lessons and get better. There is really no need otherwise.

reesespiecestennis
07-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Hey electrictennis I think I can help you because I was about in the same situation as you last year. I couldn't serve at all but had a decent baseline game. Now I've gone from 3.0 and not winning at all to a pretty good 4.0 player. I know you want a new racquet but you could probably use the money for a new racquet and get some lessons.

I also used the ntour for my first year of high school and have really developed my game a lot with it. My advice would be stick with your ntour and use it through your freshman year (because I think you said your are 14, right?) And develop your game and figure out what type of player you want to be. If you develop a serve, (which you probably will with good lessons and lots of hoppers of balls served), you might need a racquet that suits that style, etc.

And now I'm trading my ntour for an ozone tour because I love that thing:)

ElectricTennis
07-28-2008, 11:46 AM
I took lesons when I was ten, but stopped playing tennis when I was 12. Now I am 14 and starting again. Yeah, thanks guys :p I am going to stick with my Wilson as my main racquet, and possibly for a little bit buy my brothers old, but still in ok condition Prince 03 Hornet Hybrid OS. (Though I hate oversize heads...)

I imagined Highschool will be alllloott of help, Ill be able to play more players, gain experience and get better. Until then I will wait :P