PDA

View Full Version : Heaviest racquet used by a pro woman ?

Rainer
07-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Hi

Can someone tell me which pro women use the heaviest racket ?

Thnaks :)

Rainer

crazylevity
07-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Gabriela Sabatini.

Lindsay
07-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Helen Wills Moody.

Zach
07-27-2008, 12:24 PM
What were the weights of those?

BreakPoint
07-27-2008, 12:29 PM
What were the weights of those?
I believe Sabatini's racquet was over 14 oz.

I think Roman Prokes said it was the heaviest racquet he worked on of any pro - male or female.

JW10S
07-27-2008, 12:40 PM
I believe Sabatini's racquet was over 14 oz.

I think Roman Prokes said it was the heaviest racquet he worked on of any pro - male or female.I held one of her Prince racquets once. She had lead tape along the inside of the racquet head extending from about 1 o'clock to 5 o'clock on one side and from about 11 to 7 on the other, had lead tape that ran along the entire outside of the throat from where the strings grommets were to the top of the grip and I'm guessing there was lead under the grip as well. I don't know the numbers but the racquet was really heavy.

I believe for the players from the '20's, '30's, '40's and maybe even into the early '50's it was not uncommon for men and women to use wood racquets that weighed @ 16 oz. and some had grips of up to 5 inches around or more--although I don't know if many women used grips that big. For a time tennis players played without grips, they just held on to the bare wood. Those men and women were tough. If you look at old archival footage you can tell by they way male and female players of that era held and swung their racquets that they were heavy.

fridrix
07-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Gabriela's racquet must have been head heavy?

Enlightened Coelacanth
07-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I don't know if the thread originator is talking about today's pros only but Sabatini's racquet was covered in so much lead tape (and she started out with the Prince Graphite original, not an inconsequential frame to begin with) that it was hard to see where the graphite ended and the lead tape began.
I saw her in Oakland several times. She hit like a monster with that club. Her intensity was impressive.

hoodjem
07-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Not that he's a pro woman, but I might point out that Don Budge used a 16 1/2 oz. racquet with no grip at all--just a bare wood handle.