PDA

View Full Version : Finally put lead tape on my KBT. A few thoughts...

ogruskie
07-27-2008, 09:10 AM
I liked my KBT in stock form, but I felt like there wasn't enough "pop" on my groundstrokes. When I hit a ball, the frame just seems to absorb the ball and sling it back.

I decided to put two grams of lead to the head, and two to the handle (to balance things out, although I'm not sure if what I did is truly "balanced"). This was the first time I'm playing with lead, so I decided not to add too much.

At first, the racquet felt noticeably heavier. It was hard for me to whip out my arm to get pace and spin because of the additional weight. However, after an hour, I adjusted to it. The racquet felt firmer, with more pop. I'm using Big Ace strings with a Smiley Face damp, so the overall feel my racquet is mushy. However, I felt like I just applied a harsher "worm" style dampener. The vibration was a bit more muted, but the POP was louder and sounded crisper. Also, the power was incredible.

Here's a question though, how cautious should I be with the lead tape? I did all the cutting/applying with latex gloves on, and throughly washed my hands/scissors/ruler/pencil afterwards. I'm pretty paranoid... But really, how dangerous is it?

[osu]ilovecows
07-27-2008, 09:14 AM
You'll be fine. Unless you're eating the stuff, nothing's gonna happen to you. Just avoid overexposure.

the wise wizard
07-27-2008, 09:16 AM
you mean i'm NOT supposed to eat it?..............oh hamburgers

ogruskie
07-27-2008, 09:17 AM
ilovecows;2558156']You'll be fine. Unless you're eating the stuff, nothing's gonna happen to you. Just avoid overexposure.

What defines "overexposure"? I'm considering taking out my sweatbands/clothes/water so that the lead doesn't come into contact with any of them.

pNoyr3D
07-27-2008, 09:19 AM
I was thinking of adding lead tape to my KBlade Tour.
Where did you place the lead tape, to add more power?

I heard adding to 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock will help with the power, that true?

ogruskie
07-27-2008, 02:24 PM
I was thinking of adding lead tape to my KBlade Tour.
Where did you place the lead tape, to add more power?

I heard adding to 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock will help with the power, that true?

I think 11 and 1 are too close to 12 o'clock, which might make your racquet less maneuverable but a lot more powerful. I placed tape at 3 and 9 o'clock, as well as in the handle. The balance is kept the same but its a hell of a lot heaver.

bertrevert
07-27-2008, 07:01 PM
As a long-term lead-adder I feel that adding lead has some side effects (no not those side-effects you're worried about), and some unintended consequences.

1. When you add lead at spots on the frame it is going to flex differently - there is just more weight on it.

2. If you don't retain the balance point you will change manouverability.

3. If you do counterbalance and retain the original balance point, nevertheless the additional weight may mean you need to string tighter, if you can maintain normal bat speed, or looser - if you've lost some bat speed because of the lead.

I'd like to think I can make the KBT work just as is, stock, because at 324 grams unstrung there isn't a great deal of room for me to play with lead on it (I know that I top out 325-340 grams using a racquet in matches in singles).

I know that adding lead in the throat is one position on the racquet which has the greatest effect. For better/worse a little lead in the throat makes a lot of difference, so I usually steer clear of adding it there.

christo
08-07-2008, 11:48 PM
I put 5 1/2" of 1/4" lead tape at 3 and 9 (both sides of string) and a 5 1/2" strip of 1/4" lead tape inside the throat (both sides) where it tapers down to the handle. It absolutely transformed the frame from a nice stick , into a real weapon! It probably checks in at very close to 12 ozs. now, the SW doesn't seem to have changed much but it hits a much heavier ball now, much more so and is a real joy to cut loose with. Very , very happy with the mod, really enjoy putting this baby through it's paces. Cool looking stick too!

bertrevert
08-09-2008, 02:04 AM
Christo - lead in the throat is going to give that baby some mighty kaboom alright (as if it waasn't enough of a weapon already heh heh!) so you must get stability from the 3 and 9 tape, and more oomph from the lead just above handle yeah? Good work...

EndLy
08-09-2008, 02:56 AM
for the first few days after i got my kblade ... i was playing in stock form maybe thinking that i can hit the ball faster since it the racket was a little lighter then the k90 (former racket). My racket is strung at 53lbs with lux BB orig and prince syngut. in crosses. well i could not find any comfort with that set up at all. but once i added lead in the throat (about 2 and 1/2 inches of 1/2 lead tape, i don't know what that adds up to) MAN i loved it SOOO much better. i guess i'm more of a fan of heavier rackets then lighter ones. also added about an inch of lead tape at 10 and 2. very happy with set up =).

tennis_hand
08-09-2008, 07:07 AM
5 min of fantasy means nothing to a long match.

you should play some long physical matches to know whether u can carry the weight. seriously, that slight amount of lead can lead to fatigue in a shorter time. if ur performance drops dramatically in the 2nd or 3rd set, forget the lead tape. Let it be lighter so that u can last longer.