PDA

View Full Version : Vantage: What Do You String It With?

schwuller
07-27-2008, 01:51 PM
I have four Vantage 95's and 90's on the way. I'm on TW site about to order some reels of string and...I'm not sure what I want. (rafa JUST NOW won the rogers in toronto. wow. can't wait for NYC). Anyhow, I made the mistake of trying poly in a big way, will full poly jobs on my 100 sq" frames, and my wrist is killing me. So i'm not sure if I want to try poly hybrids even. I'm kind of soured on poly, but I'm open to suggestions of all types.

I do my own stringing, and durability is not of MAJOR importantance.

It's got to be available in a reel.

moderate spin, all court, moderate pace, angles, accuracy, medium fast swing swing speed.

NoBadMojo
07-27-2008, 03:32 PM
I have four Vantage 95's and 90's on the way. I'm on TW site about to order some reels of string and...I'm not sure what I want. (rafa JUST NOW won the rogers in toronto. wow. can't wait for NYC). Anyhow, I made the mistake of trying poly in a big way, will full poly jobs on my 100 sq" frames, and my wrist is killing me. So i'm not sure if I want to try poly hybrids even. I'm kind of soured on poly, but I'm open to suggestions of all types.

moderate spin, all court, moderate pace, angles, accuracy, medium fast swing swing speed.

good move bagging the poly. suggest you start with a string you last liked and string it at the same tension if you were using it in a frame of pretty similar headsize and string density. this way you will be better able to isolate what your new frames are doing.

Swan Song
07-27-2008, 04:12 PM

If durability is not of major importance, I suggest the Babolat Conquest, a nice synthetic gut. It is available in both 16 and 17 gauge. It is available at TW for $4.75 per set and $64.95 a reel.

tenis
07-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Have a Vantage 95 for 2 years, newer had any problem (so far). I started w. Full Klip nat. gut 17 at 61, years ago. Than I switched M.-gut, cross SPPP 17 which feels good. This year I'm going for poly. One racquet full Big Ace 17 at 55, second MSV Hex.17 on mains and gut on cross, third racquet Blue Gear+gut, but I didnt like the Blue Gear (so far). Than I had one strung Big Ace + gut. IMO, the best is BA+gut and MSV Hex+gut.

bagung
07-27-2008, 06:30 PM
strung one of my 95 vantage with forten sweet at 56lbs...
and the other 2 95 vantage with legend 18/ iso pro at 55/60lbs....

MTChong
07-27-2008, 09:23 PM
I just pulled my Vantage 90 out after about a year and half away from it. I strung it up with a standard synthetic gut: Pro Supex Titan with Gosen crosses -- played great. I prefer softer strings, but I go through strings like no other with the open pattern.

origmarm
07-28-2008, 12:12 AM
I'm still in an experimentation phase but recently I strung one of my 95s with PSGD 18g...was not durable in the slightest (6hrs) but had an amazing feel to it, really crisped up the slightly muted feel of my Vantage. If that's of interest to you maybe give it a try, or perhaps the 17g.

I also strung with Klip Legend 17g and Bab VS Touch 16 and it played excellently both times but these are not (to my knowledge) available in a reel.

One of my friends recommends NRG2 and strings his with that.

Good luck

larry10s
07-28-2008, 06:59 AM
have 95 vantage only use vs team nat gut or wilson nat gut 17 gauge

schwuller
07-28-2008, 12:28 PM
thanks everyone. 2 of the vantages arrived an hour ago. i'm impressed with the quality of the racket and specs are dead on to what i ordered. very pleased with customer service as well (thanks paul!).

i'm going to try two routes here. i'm going to try the natural gut route, and i'm going to order some of my old favorite: psgd, but in 18g. i'm actually very excited about trying this string.

babolat conquest seems to be the new name for what they used to call VS synthetic gut? i played a vs syn gut and psgd back to back once, and preferred the psgd (crisper but not hard, less...slingshotting, better sound).

thanks everyone.

roddick89
07-28-2008, 01:59 PM
I used to use vantage, i had 2 of their prebuilt models, the VT 221, and i strung it with full tecnifibre pro red at 55-58lbs.
But i tried it a couple of times with nxt 16g and that was really really nice too, that was at 58-60lbs.

07-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Roddick you got email:)

marcb
10-30-2008, 12:26 PM

Hey, I've been using a Vantage 90 (63 flex, 11.7oz, 12pts head light) for about a year now with a full gut job (Klip legend 17). I've really enjoyed this setup but wanted just a tad less power and a little more control to account for the extra flex and open string pattern. I've always used 18x20 and hit very hard and flat so it took some getting used to and tended to hit long more than I liked. I decided to go with a hybrid with gut mains and poly on the crosses. I had a set of 17g poly from Vantage and strung it with Klip legend 17 at 60/58. I suspect that their poly is a rebrand of another name but I'm not sure.

Hit with this setup during a 4.0/4.5 workout for a couple of hours and was so pleased I had to come back to the boards to find anyone with a Vantage frame looking for string suggestions. No only did this provide fantastic control but just the right amount of power. I could take a big swing on groundstrokes with an open stance and more top or step in and hit flat. Balls were homing in on the back of the court like a guided missle. It provided the kind of plow through I associate with closed pattern frames like a Prestige. Volleys were super crisp. Not quite as much touch and feel as full gut but going in deep or with enough bite for sharp angles. The serve was a surprise. I play a lot of doubles so I generally hit a slice or kick serve 1st and 2nd. The first few I hit with the new setup dumped into the net. I switched over to a flat serve and wow, was practically knocking the racquet out of the hands of the receiver. All the balls were well deep in the box. When I went back to slice or kick for a second serve, I had to put quite a bit more on it to clear the net so that'll take some adjustment.

I kind of expected a lot of wear on the gut becuase the last full gut job frayed after one outing. I assumed the poly would start to cut through right away. I didn't see any wear the first time out so maybe it's not a concern. One thing I did notice was that the string movement was greatly reduced. I used to string the gut at 62 and had to reposition after every point.

Certainly it wasn't as plush as the full gut job but was quite comfortable and great ball pocketing.

Hope this helps.

ls206
10-30-2008, 12:36 PM
I enjoyed Alu power and VTS1 (multi). The vts1 multi is soft and elastic.
I found this setup at low tensions (around 50lbs) gave a v.soft nice feel, the power was good (quite high), despite this, the control was v.good!
Spin was unreal, if given enough time I was able to get enough spin to make the ball drop very quickly (almost vertical! lol maybe a little exaggeration)

I prefer my ag100 and am selling my vantage mid. V V V
70RA flex though. feels like 64/5RA when strung

origmarm
10-31-2008, 03:56 AM
^^ I agree entirely with you on the 70RA, feels very much like a 65RA at best.

OP I'm going to try two new jobs next week, probably a full Cyberflash 17g poly at 52m/50c and perhaps a hybrid Cyberflash 17g and Klip Legend 17g at 54/52 on the other to try. This will be my first full poly job and my second hybrid in these (first was no good, stringing error). I wanted to try this to give the poly a real go as I know I'm happy with the stick. Will update on how this feels. My feeling given your experience is possibly too stiff.

I have to say that I am happy with how this feels with PSGD 18g in it, it's just not very durable at all and the "grip" of the string is less than I would ideally like. Still the best full job so far however.

The Legend 17g is just a bit soft and high powered for me I think long term. Possibly I might hybrid with PSGD crosses if the poly does not work out to try and crisp up the gut a little bit, perhaps maybe also a poly cross depending on how the above poly experiment goes.

My gut feeling is that I may end up with gut mains and a softer poly cross like a cyberblue or something but I want to try the extremes (fully poly as I've tried full gut) to get a feel about what I like about each and what parts of each I want to take into a possible hybrid

skierpaul
11-01-2008, 10:58 PM
If you like tensions over 60lbs, then you'll want a softer string on the Vantage 90. However if you like playing in the 55-58 range, you're hitting the racket's sweet zone. I like mine at 57-58 lbs.

Cey
11-02-2008, 12:36 AM

If you are after a soft string in a reel you should go for Isospeed Control or Professional. Both are multi's are farely powerful. I think TW has it.