PDA

View Full Version : ***Dunlop Aerogel 1hundred (AG100) club***

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

geesechops
07-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Destined for greatness, the Aerogel 1hundred has been tearing it up lately on these boards by evidence of users raving about its monster serve, great maneuverability and spin like a Tasmanian Devil. This club is to consolidate all the questions/comments on this racquet to one thread that can help users and possible users converse.

I switched to the AG100 from the Pro Staff 6.0 85. I have played with the K90, AK90, and RDS 001 Mid in the past year in my quest to find a mid that would take me to another level in terms of consistency, power and spin. Some had their nice qualities, but none overall measured up to the PS85 for me in terms of getting the win in a match. The AG100 seemed to do everything well for me. I'm looking forward to really getting used to this racquet like I am with my PS85's and bringing out all its potential, and mine.

edit: I currently use the MG Prestige Mid (TGK237.1), although the AG100 is still a great racquet, which is evident by this huge thread.

emmanuel
07-27-2008, 01:49 PM
I switched to the AG100 from the Prestige Classic 600 in my case.
I am using 58 pounds of tension (wilson stamina 16). What string set up do you use with AG100?

matchmaker
07-27-2008, 01:53 PM
One question I have about the AG100. It looks like a very fun frame but it has also a low static weight and swingweight. How does that translate into matters of stability?
I suppose many users lead it up. Where do they apply the lead in general and what is the final SW, balance and static weight after leading up?

s7evin
07-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Count me in!
BTW emmanuel why did you switch from the Classic?
For me its way better than the AG, feel is just irreplaceable.

Return_Ace
07-27-2008, 02:21 PM
I have yet to play with mine :(

It's currently sitting in a shop having being strung up.... although there's still no grip on it since i'm still waiting to receive my Vantage leathers (after having placed the order for them well over 2 weeks ago :?).

Hopefully i'll be able to hit with it on Tuesday night.

Bud
07-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Destined for greatness, the Aerogel 1hundred has been tearing it up lately on these boards by evidence of users raving about its monster serve, great maneuverability and spin like a Tasmanian Devil. This club is to consolidate all the questions/comments on this racquet to one thread that can help users and possible users converse.

I switched to the AG100 from the Pro Staff 6.0 85. I have played with the K90, AK90, MG Prestige Mid and RDS 001 Mid in the past year in my quest to find a mid that would take me to another level in terms of consistency, power and spin. Some had their nice qualities, but none overall measured up to the PS85 for me in terms of getting the win in a match. The AG100 seemed to do everything well for me. I'm looking foreword to really getting used to this racquet like I am with my PS85's and bringing out all its potential, and mine.

Interesting... you're another person stringing it at low tension. I think they labeled the tension range on the racquet incorrectly :)

The racquet is labeled 55-65 lbs. I think 50-60 lbs. is more appropriate for this frame.

It definitely playes better at a lower, than labeled, tension. I think at mid-tension (60 lbs.) the racquet feels 'boardy'. I can't even imagine what it would feel like at 65#.

s7evin
07-27-2008, 02:24 PM
@Return Ace:Those are some troublemaking vantage leathers:)

Bud
07-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Count me in!

You think the feel of the PC600 is way better than the AG100?

Return_Ace
07-27-2008, 02:46 PM
@Return Ace:Those are some troublemaking vantage leathers:)

Gah ! Tell me about it !

It's not as if it's shipping internationally as well... i only live a couple of hours drive away :?..

TBH normally i'm satisfied with their service but this is just stupid :(.

geesechops
07-27-2008, 02:51 PM
The AG has great stability. Of course its not like my PS85's, but I'll give up a little there to gain all that spin and the sick angle I can pull. I also put a little weight inside the handle to help the feel/stability. The hoop is so stiff I think low tensions go great with the AG. This stiff hoop also creates all that power of the serves, probably the most ever from a racquet of this weight. And as always s7evin confuses me :)

emmanuel
07-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Count me in!

I was searching something with open string pattern and little more powerful.
The AG100 has been a great surprise for me. Great stick!

BreakPoint
07-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Interesting... you're another person stringing it at low tension. I think they labeled the tension range on the racquet incorrectly :)

The racquet is labeled 55-65 lbs. I think 50-60 lbs. is more appropriate for this frame.

It definitely playes better at a lower, than labeled, tension. I think at mid-tension (60 lbs.) the racquet feels 'boardy'. I can't even imagine what it would feel like at 65#.
I agree. I think the tension range should have been 50-60lbs. I think it plays great between 53-56lbs with a hybrid of multi mains and mono syn gut crosses.

ESP#1
07-27-2008, 07:19 PM
So Emmanuel,
Are you gettin rid of the pc600? if so let me know.

bossass
07-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Put me down. I got the TW demo now, and I'm gonna order one here in a couple days to mess around with. At the very least, I'll keep it in the bag as an early season stick (when I'm all out of shape and my Prestiges are feeling especially heavy.)

geesechops
07-27-2008, 09:09 PM
I called TW before I ordered one and asked about why the tension on the Dunlops was rated higher by 5lbs then the Wilsons I normally use of the same size and they said I should go with the 55lbs because that was the lowest suggested when I normally go 53lbs on my Wilsons. I think these companies just blindly throw the recommended tensions on there for show. The only time it becomes an issue is when you string over the required max and the frame breaks. I think the tension should be 45-55lbs.

It seems the more I get used to this stick the more weight I take off. Right now I have some lead in the butt under the trap door and 2 strips around the handle above my grip and thats all I seem to need. Too much lead takes away from that killer bite I get from the racquet head speed I can generate from the light weight.

Keifers
07-27-2008, 09:20 PM
^^^

Yeah, a friend of mine has settled on 44lbs with a poly/multi hybrid and he's very happy with the results. He started at 50 and worked his way down in 2lb decrements.

I asked him what tension he would use if he did a full multi string job -- he said 50lbs.

I can feel my mouse finger itching to order one of these. Sending my TW demo back tomorrow.

Dave M
07-28-2008, 01:16 AM
Sign me up, I liked the look and specs and was offered a lovely deal on 3, 2 new un opened and one lightly used for 130, didn't think i could say no so hit with them last week, i was more consistant than with the BB10, k95 team or pro ones that I have been trying recently.I think i'll be giving these an extended run.
Like someone else here noticed, i've got two with a RA of 63 and one with 62, looks like someone changed the stencil between batches.

Return_Ace
07-28-2008, 02:05 AM
Picked up the AG100 from the shop today... strung nicely with X-1 Biphase @ 61lbs (never strung that high so i wanted to try it out lol).

But alas.... the leathers did not arrive today :(.

Rabbit
07-28-2008, 04:13 AM
I'm currently demoing one from TW. The strings broke and I restrung with a 17 gauge multi at 58 pounds. It plays great. I'm on the verge of commiting. This is a great frame.

Bengt
07-28-2008, 05:52 AM
Can someone comment on how it is to string? Blocked holes, 1 or 2 piece, etc...

Rabbit
07-28-2008, 07:09 AM
TW has info:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-DAG100.html

String Pattern:
16 Mains / 19 Crosses
Mains skip: 7T,9T,7H,9H
One Piece
No shared holesString Tension: 55-65 pounds

Strings up pretty easy.

hoodjem
07-28-2008, 08:00 AM
I've also got a TW demo right now, packed up and awaiting the UPS man.

Great feeling racquet. I probably played with it 10 times in the last week. (I too think it is destined to become one of those special sticks.)

And yes it does need a little bit of tweaking. (I don't at all like the stock grip.) A leather grip would be a big improvement. And maybe a little lead at 9 and 3 or 10 and 2 would increase the stability and plow-through.

And, (if I am correct, the demo tension is 60) which seems a little boardy to me. A better tension range would seem to be 50-60. (I also imagine that 65 would feel terrible.) I usually string at mid-range plus one or two; on this one I think I will go 56-57.

Yes, the sweetspot does seem surprisingly large for a 90 sq. in. racquet. When you do it right--it is like a laser-guided scalpel.

Maybe the best thing I can say about it (when comparing it to five other racquets--all of which are quite good sticks in their own right), is that it was so much fun to play with. I would hit a shot and get a big grin on my face, and say to myself "this is why I love tennis--to hit a shot like that."

Bud
07-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Sign me up, I liked the look and specs and was offered a lovely deal on 3, 2 new un opened and one lightly used for 130, didn't think i could say no so hit with them last week, i was more consistant than with the BB10, k95 team or pro ones that I have been trying recently.I think i'll be giving these an extended run.
Like someone else here noticed, i've got two with a RA of 63 and one with 62, looks like someone changed the stencil between batches.

All four of mine are 63. Did they change the composition or just the stencil?

Rabbit
07-28-2008, 08:39 AM
I've also got a TW demo right now, packed up and awaiting the UPS man.

Great feeling racquet. I probably played with it 10 times in the last week. (I too think it is destined to become one of those special sticks.)

And yes it does need a little bit of tweaking. (I don't at all like the stock grip.) A leather grip would be a big improvement. And maybe a little lead at 9 and 3 or 10 and 2 would increase the stability and plow-through.

And, (if I am correct, the demo tension is 60) which seems a little boardy to me. A better tension range would seem to be 50-60. (I also imagine that 65 would feel terrible.) I usually string at mid-range plus one or two; on this one I think I will go 56-57.

Yes, the sweetspot does seem surprisingly large for a 90 sq. in. racquet. When you do it right--it is like a laser-guided scalpel.

Maybe the best thing I can say about it (when comparing it to five other racquets--all of which are quite good sticks in their own right), is that it was so much fun to play with. I would hit a shot and get a big grin on my face, and say to myself "this is why I love tennis--to hit a shot like that."

Egggggggggggsactly! I hit two backhands yesterday that were screamers! I haven't pegged two like that in quite some time if ever. I was playing doubles with 3 other 4.5s and actually nailed a guy at net from behind the baseline. The ball had a lot of work on it and pace...pace...and more pace. :)

For me, this frame feels right in my hand and is close to being an extension of my arm. With other frames, I lacked the desire to adjust my game to fit them. With this frame, there is very little adjustment required. Why do it then? Well, as others have noted, there is one tremendous payback with this stick: the serve. My serves had a lot more on them. With some of them, I felt like I was getting close to full compression on the ball. With a little tweaking of string and tension, this frame could be a monster.

I also like the fact that this frame has great potential IMO with a full gut set up. I'm playing the remainder of my demo time with this frame and then pulling the trigger...

BTW, hoodjem, if you're interested in selling your PS 95's, I have a buyer...

hoodjem
07-28-2008, 11:00 AM
BTW, hoodjem, if you're interested in selling your PS 95's, I have a buyer...

Yes, I am interested in selling them. But let's be certain: these are not PS 95s, they are nPS 95 (from the nCode line, not Pro Staff 95).

roddick89
07-28-2008, 12:47 PM
has this frame just come out in the US?

BreakPoint
07-28-2008, 12:48 PM
has this frame just come out in the US?
Almost two months ago now.

roddick89
07-28-2008, 12:55 PM
^^^
wow, i'm suprised about that, i'm not trying to boast but it been out here for a while, pretty much since the AG200.
Suprised because theres a huge market for tennis in the US and this frame is similar to the tour 90 which has a healthy following therefore they'll probably be loads of players interested in this stick.

Barricade V
07-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Tried this as a setback to the k90, awful stability.

geesechops
07-28-2008, 01:19 PM
^^^it's definitely not the brick house K90, but for some of us the compromise is worth it. I played with an RDS 001 Mid for a while last week and was loving it, but once I picked up the AG100 again I felt more at home. That is the measure of a good stick for you. If your trying out racquets and actually liking them, but you still keep coming back to the same stick, then you know its the one for you. Hopefully I will stick with it. Oh crap, I guess I have to now that I started the club right? :shock: :)

Fedace
07-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Isn't this headsize too small.? the sweetspot must be tiny

geesechops
07-28-2008, 01:29 PM
^^^dude, you say the most random sh!$ sometimes :-P

Fedace
07-28-2008, 01:33 PM
^^But i do believe it is much more User Friendly than the K90 however.

BreakPoint
07-28-2008, 02:18 PM
^^^
wow, i'm suprised about that, i'm not trying to boast but it been out here for a while, pretty much since the AG200.
Suprised because theres a huge market for tennis in the US and this frame is similar to the tour 90 which has a healthy following therefore they'll probably be loads of players interested in this stick.
Yes, we were surprised it didn't come out here in the U.S. at the beginning of '07 like it did in Europe and at the same time as the AG200. But with so many people here clamoring for it, Dunlop finally relented and decided to send some over the pond. It was originally supposed to be here in April this year but got delayed for two months for whatever reason.

Somebody at Dunlop once said that the market for 90 sq. in. racquets in Europe was bigger than it is in the U.S. and that's why they didn't release the AG100 in the U.S. Sounds strange as most people in Europe play on clay while most people in the U.S. play on hardcourts. Maybe Dunlop did a marketing survey and found that more claycourters prefer smaller racquets? :eek: ;-)

s7evin
07-28-2008, 02:19 PM
You think the feel of the PC600 is way better than the AG100?

For me it is.
I will string it with something better next time but after using the 600 and after that picking up the AG, it just feels hollow, and kinda cheap.
But afterall it's just my opinion.

BreakPoint
07-28-2008, 02:21 PM
"Too small" for what? :confused:

Haven't you heard the old saying that size doesn't matter? :shock:

hoodjem
07-28-2008, 02:44 PM
^^^Ignoring the girlfriend comment above, I was surprised at how large the sweetspot was. For me it was certainly easier to find than on the K90.

^^^it's definitely not the brick house K90, but for some of us the compromise is worth it.

Yes it isn't, but for some others of us it was not a compromise. I demoed a K90 simultaneously with the AG100, and (not to knock the Wilson) the K90 definitely was a brickhouse: heavy, turgid, stiff, slow, and very stable.

The K90 had a very "old school" feel--greatly reminded me of my old pal, the PS 85 or the Kramer Staff woodie. But it seemed to have less power than the PS 85, and even less flex and feel. If one wants a current version of the PS, then the K90 is very very close IMO.

Oddly, the AG100 also reminded of my youth with Wilson, but even earlier: maybe a Kramer Autograph: lighter, quicker, more like a sabre less like a broadsword.

(Anyone remember a TA Davis Imperial woodie? The AG100 was a hybrid of that and a Kramer Auto, but in modern technology.) Very much a precision, touch racquet with power.

Bud
07-28-2008, 03:59 PM
^^^it's definitely not the brick house K90, but for some of us the compromise is worth it. I played with an RDS 001 Mid for a while last week and was loving it, but once I picked up the AG100 again I felt more at home. That is the measure of a good stick for you. If your trying out racquets and actually liking them, but you still keep coming back to the same stick, then you know its the one for you. Hopefully I will stick with it. Oh crap, I guess I have to now that I started the club right? :shock: :)

This is exactly how the AG100 is for me. I keep coming back to it.

Bud
07-28-2008, 04:02 PM
... but once I picked up the AG100 again I felt more at home. That is the measure of a good stick for you. If your trying out racquets and actually liking them, but you still keep coming back to the same stick, then you know its the one for you. Hopefully I will stick with it. Oh crap, I guess I have to now that I started the club right? :shock: :)

The AG100 club is bigger than even you, now... you could stop using it and the club would live on :lol:

Bud
07-28-2008, 04:05 PM
^^^Ignoring the grilfriend comment above, I was surprised at how large the sweetspot was. For me it was certainly easier to find than on the K90.

Yes it isn't, but for some others of us it was not a compromise. I demoed a K90 simultaneously with the AG100, and (not to knock the Wilson) the K90 definitely was a brickhouse: heavy, turgid, unwieldy, slow, and very stable.

The K90 had a very "old school" feel--greatly reminded me of my old pal, the PS 85 or the Kramer Staff woodie. But it seemed to have less power than the PS 85, and even less flex and feel. If one wants a current version of the PS, then the K90 is very very close IMO.

Oddly, the AG100 also reminded of my youth with Wilson, but even earlier: maybe a Kramer Autograph: lighter, quicker, more like a sabre less like a broadsword.

(Anyone remember a TA Davis Imperial woodie? The AG100 was a hybrid of that and a Kramer Auto, but in modern technology.) Very much a precision, touch racquet with power.

I agree... no compromise here. I just sold a PC600, which I played with many times. The AG100 feels as solid, if not more so.

nn
07-28-2008, 09:34 PM
I hit with hit. But I don't understand people say it is as good as K90 or PS85 or other great sticks..

Yeah put some lead and leather grip and bring it to 12.5 or so where you have some many other racquets which has perform so well.. I know when new racquet come people say it is greatest ever... just like they did for k90 or new one from wilson coming out as sampras racquet around US OPEN (learn that here on this board)

geesechops
07-28-2008, 10:02 PM
I agree that we get a little excited around here when we get our hands on new racquets that play well. I love the thing now, but in a month I could love something else. It is true that the great ones stay in your hands for a long time. I think people like me are trying very hard to find that one stick that you can buy a few of and play with for a long time, but we are also the people trying out new sticks all the time...kind of ironic.

bossass
07-28-2008, 10:49 PM
I hit with hit. But I don't understand people say it is as good as K90 or PS85 or other great sticks..

It's great because you can hit the shots you can hit with those classics AND flick it around like a fly swatter getting shots you'd never get with those sticks. What's not good about that?

hoodjem
07-29-2008, 06:02 AM
I hit with it. But I don't understand people say it is as good as K90 or PS85 or other great sticks.
Each to his own.

Just my opinion, but the AG100 reminded me of the PS 85--not in its feel but in what I could do with it and how I felt when hitting. Like I was invincible and could put the ball on a dime anywhere in the court. (I used to feel that way sometimes with the PS 85.)

And, while the K90 racquet reminded me a lot of the feel of the PS 85 racquet in terms of weight, density, vibration, sound, I could not do all that much with it. I thus did not care for the K90. It is definitely an extremely stable racquet, but it didn't do anything for my game.

IMO the AG100 is better--in my hands.

The K90 was "a very serious racquet". I had to do everything exactly right with it--it was very demanding, all business. The AG100 was great fun: I still had to do most things right (of course), but it is lighter, more lively, faster, sharper, crisper, more rewarding than demanding.

Just MO.

lilxjohnyy
07-29-2008, 07:58 AM
i have heard that the MG prestige seems to be similar to the new AG 100. Can someone do a comparison?

geesechops
07-29-2008, 08:52 AM
I think the MG Prestige hits more like a Pro Staff 85 than anything else I have tried. Plow-through is sick and it serves ka-bombs. I don't know if it is like the AG100 though. I actually have this racquet in my bag right now along with the AG100. Indoors I love the AG100, but outdoors I seem to prefer the MG Prestige, I know.. strange. The swingweight is higher on the MG, but they are both faster to swing than the PS85 or K90. I could play with either one of these racquets and be happy.

jorel
07-29-2008, 09:00 AM
It's great because you can hit the shots you can hit with those classics AND flick it around like a fly swatter getting shots you'd never get with those sticks. What's not good about that?

agreed.... thats why i loved the Vantage 90 (similar racquet??? ;) )

gave me the performance of the PS85 with added manuevarbility (playing with that racquet made me feel like Fed) felt like i could do amything with the ball... the only problem,,, it got pushed around a little because of the lower swingweight.

never tried the 100g but might look into it now

jorel
07-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Each to his own.

Just my opinion, but the AG100 reminded me of the PS 85--not in its feel but in what I could do with it and how I felt when hitting. Like I was invincible and could put the ball on a dime anywhere in the court. (I used to feel that way sometimes with the PS 85.)

thats great stuff (feel the same about my customized Vantage 90's)

hoodjem
07-29-2008, 09:08 AM
I think the MG Prestige hits more like a Pro Staff 85 than anything else I have tried. Plow-through is sick and it serves ka-bombs. I don't know if it is like the AG100 though. I actually have this racquet in my bag right now along with the AG100. Indoors I love the AG100, but outdoors I seem to prefer the MG Prestige, I know.. strange. The swingweight is higher on the MG, but they are both faster to swing than the PS85 or K90. I could play with either one of these racquets and be happy.

Which MG Prestige?

18 X 20 Mid 93 or 18 X 20 Midplus 98 or 16 X 19 Pro 98?

geesechops
07-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Oh sorry. The only real Prestige...the mid.

Return_Ace
07-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Oh sorry. The only real Prestige...the mid.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

true ;). xD

hoodjem
07-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Alright Clubmembers:

First Item of Business--
What the best string to put in an Aerogel 100?

(In other words, what have you tried and thought worked quite well in the AG100?)

samster
07-29-2008, 02:40 PM
gut at 55 lbs.

Dave M
07-29-2008, 03:12 PM
All four of mine are 63. Did they change the composition or just the stencil?
Seems to be the same except the writing on the side.

Havent noticed a difference between the sweetspot on this and my other 95 or 100 inch frames, i have ben amazed to find i actually hit the spot more on this tham the bb10s i also have!

nn
07-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Each to his own.

And, while the K90 racquet reminded me a lot of the feel of the PS 85 racquet in terms of weight, density, vibration, sound, I could not do all that much with it. I thus did not care for the K90. It is definitely an extremely stable racquet, but it didn't do anything for my game.

IMO the AG100 is better--in my hands.

The K90 was "a very serious racquet". I had to do everything exactly right with it--it was very demanding, all business. The AG100 was great fun: I still had to do most things right (of course), but it is lighter, more lively, faster, sharper, crisper, more rewarding than demanding.

Just MO.

yeah I know when you play with K90 or any demanding racquets (by our own definition) you have to play 100% to get everything right. Now you got chance to play with AG100 with less mass and you start hitting great. I have notice that many times myself but that last long. You will start making more error because you have to play 100% no matter which racquet you use otherwise pros can get away playing with injuries because racquet can give them 20% any day.. answer we know but club players like us look for relief in new stick and sale it here after sometime (include me in that as well)

bossass
07-29-2008, 04:30 PM
gut at 55 lbs.

I just ordered mine today from TW. Took advantage of the $6 off Klip Legend, 54 lbs.

I'll let you know how it goes.

geesechops
07-29-2008, 05:41 PM
I like VS 16g gut at 50-53lbs. 50lbs = outdoors and 53lbs = indoors. But, I just go with gut on everything because it plays well and I don't have the time, money or patience to mess with all the hybrids I could do.

jasonbourne
07-29-2008, 09:16 PM
I have a demo of this racket. Strings have the Dunlop stencil. Could it be factory string job?

I tried it against one of my 5.5 hitting partners today. I simply could not get pace on my shots. He was pushing me far behind the baseline and I was coughing up too many short balls. I'm no Nadal. Hence, I can't effectively play back there. I had high expectations from this racket. I was not expecting this poor performance.

After some minutes I switched to my K90 and continued with the rest of our session comfortably.

What am I missing?

I am going to try it out against a different hitting partner tomorrow. He produces less pace from his groundies. Perhaps I can appreciate the AG100 more tomorrow.

I'm still awestruck at what eludes me from this racket many of you have experienced and enjoyed.

ZZdark
07-29-2008, 09:36 PM
missing a leather grip and >3 grams at 3 and 9 :)

bossass
07-29-2008, 09:48 PM
I have a demo of this racket. Strings have the Dunlop stencil. Could it be factory string job?

I tried it against one of my 5.5 hitting partners today. I simply could not get pace on my shots. He was pushing me far behind the baseline and I was coughing up too many short balls. I'm no Nadal. Hence, I can't effectively play back there. I had high expectations from this racket. I was not expecting this poor performance.

After some minutes I switched to my K90 and continued with the rest of our session comfortably.

What am I missing?

I am going to try it out against a different hitting partner tomorrow. He produces less pace from his groundies. Perhaps I can appreciate the AG100 more tomorrow.

I'm still awestruck at what eludes me from this racket many of you have experienced and enjoyed.

The demo is strung at 62lbs with some crap Dunlop 16g string. You're missing better string at a lower tension. But still, with the demo setup, I was able to generate tons of pace. Maybe you just need to hit harder. :wink:

Passion4Tennis
07-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Well, I guess we don't all have 5.5 hitting partners, so that might be one reason. Anyway, I'm impressed with the power and stability that I get from this racket. I have mine strung at 58 lbs with a basic synthetic gut.

It's one of the finest rackets that I've hit with since the PC 600. It has many of the same attributes, only in a lighter, more spin-friendly package.

jasonbourne
07-29-2008, 10:08 PM
I appreciate your input guys.

Believe me, I tried to hit harder than usual and the racket did not feel good. If I tried to hit harder I may bring harm to my body. I've been known to push my body beyond its capabilities and suffered severe (sometimes permanent) physical consequences. I could not generate much pace. All the pace occurring on court was coming from the other side of the net. :(

I hope for a more favorable experience next time with the racket. I'm not giving up on it yet. I want to realize the specialness everyone consistently chimes. :)

jasonbourne
07-29-2008, 10:11 PM
BTW, is anyone hitting with 5.0+ hitting partners and being effective with this racket?

If so, enlighten me on how you do it?

Perhaps bossass is right about the poor strings in the demo.

Keifers
07-29-2008, 10:36 PM

Believe me, I tried to hit harder than usual and the racket did not feel good. If I tried to hit harder I may bring harm to my body. I've been known to push my body beyond its capabilities and suffered severe (sometimes permanent) physical consequences. I could not generate much pace. All the pace occurring on court was coming from the other side of the net. :(

I hope for a more favorable experience next time with the racket. I'm not giving up on it yet. I want to realize the specialness everyone consistently chimes. :)

BTW, is anyone hitting with 5.0+ hitting partners and being effective with this racket?

jason, if your strokes are grooved for the K90 -- a much heavier stick and with a much higher sw than the AG100 -- I guess I'm not surprised at the results you got, especially with the crummy demo strings in the AG.

You would indeed have to swing with much more energy to get the same pace. And your hitting partner's fast-paced balls are going to push the AG around unless your timing is right on and you hit the sweetspot.

I would guess you would see significant improvement if

1. You stopped using the K90 and re-grooved your strokes for the AG.

2. You put a livelier string in there at lower tension.

3. You added weight to the AG.

Or 4. Any combo of (or all of) the above.

vickytor
07-29-2008, 11:03 PM

I agree and understand completely with what jasonbourne's saying. When I demoed the AG100, I loved the feeling the racquet gives you with each swing, and it excels in volleying and serves. The only thing I thought the racquet was lacking in was weight, which I especially noticed when my partner hit a heavy ball at me, or even when he simply hit a long ball and I struck it out of the air before it bounced. In those situations the lack of plow-through was very noticable, and I could feel the racquet slowing down upon impact with the ball.

The racquet I usually use weighs 360g, and since the AG100 weighs 332g stock, with the difference in weight I basically had to swing harder than I usually do to get the same pace and depth on my shots. Makes for a good workout, but it seems like I'm expending excessive energy.

In looking over the Dunlop line of racquets, it seems like all of them weigh less than 12oz. Is Dunlop known for lighter racquets? Also, is there anyone who actually prefers the way the AG100 plays stock, with no lead necessary?

BreakPoint
07-30-2008, 12:47 AM

What am I missing?

Hi JB,

I'd hate to say it.....but I told you so, right? ;-)

BreakPoint
07-30-2008, 12:52 AM

Like Keifers said, I think you need to try it with some weight added to the handle and to the hoop and with a lower string tension. That should help you.

jorel
07-30-2008, 04:02 AM

yea i see this too.... if a guy is using a heavy racquet hitting really heavy balls.... sometimes my light racquet gets pushed around,.... but if I use a heavy racquet... i get tired quickly

the conundrum

but I play my best hitting with a guy using a "lighter" racquet so that I can also use a lighter racquet

hoodjem
07-30-2008, 06:43 AM
jason, if your strokes are grooved for the K90 -- a much heavier stick and with a much higher sw than the AG100 -- I guess I'm not surprised at the results you got, especially with the crummy demo strings in the AG.

You would indeed have to swing with much more energy to get the same pace. And your hitting partner's fast-paced balls are going to push the AG around unless your timing is right on and you hit the sweetspot.

I would guess you would see significant improvement if

1. You stopped using the K90 and re-grooved your strokes for the AG.

2. You put a livelier string in there at lower tension.

3. You added weight to the AG.

Or 4. Any combo of (or all of) the above.

JasonB,
I think Keifer nailed it for you.

I loved the demo, but I am coming from a lighter racquet. And I even think the AG100 needs to be leaded up a bit. (To me it is a little too head light and needs more plow-through.)

Plus I hated the stock grip. And I am used to a big Wilson buttcap, so I will probably have to change the Dunlop one.

Bottom line is that if your game is grooved to the K90, you will not appreciate (very immediately) what the AG100 has to offer.

jasonbourne
07-30-2008, 07:09 AM
Hi JB,

I'd hate to say it.....but I told you so, right? ;-)

BP, you did tell me. That is exactly what I was thinking after I put it down last night after a few minutes, "BP told me I may not like this racket. Damn! :mad: He was right." You were the only one who suggested I may not like it. I appreciate your sincere effort to persuade me from it.

I try to be open minded on most things. After reading what everyone experienced using this frame, I wanted to realize the same or more fun with it. This is why I feel frustrated about last night. I found this racket more demanding than the K90.

jasonbourne
07-30-2008, 07:17 AM
ZZdark, Keifers, BP, hoodjem,

Thanks for your suggestions to modify and help redeem my feelings towards the AG100. Since it is not my racket, I can only add lead (2-3oz) at the top of the handle that would increase its static weight and SW.

jasonbourne
07-30-2008, 07:26 AM
vickytor and jorel,

I agree with you that if your partner consistently produces heavy balls, then the AG100 (stock form) in our hands allows them to what feels to us heavier shots and they easily get on top in a point.

On the other hand, if our hitting partner uses a lighter racket and/or producing less penetrating shots, I could imagine the AG100 would be fun and easier to use in this situation.

vickytor
07-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Plus I hated the stock grip.

I actually liked the stock grip; soft (maybe a little too soft) and tacky. I was demoing a K95 at the same time, and the K-Grip that came with that racquet felt similar, too.

hoodjem
07-30-2008, 08:49 AM
I actually liked the stock grip; soft (maybe a little too soft) and tacky. I was demoing a K95 at the same time, and the K-Grip that came with that racquet felt similar, too.
The softness and tackiness were okay, but I could not feel the bevels. And the grip was too smooth with no ridges or valleys where I like to insert my thumb, index finger, and little finger.

hoodjem
07-30-2008, 08:51 AM
I can only add lead (2-3oz) at the top of the handle.

2-3 ounces at the top of the handle? How would you do that?

jasonbourne
07-30-2008, 10:58 AM
hoodjem, I use lead roofing material. They come in sheets made of dense lead. This is what I used to lead my n90s to 16oz in the past. Comfortable configuration for stiff sticks.

nn
07-30-2008, 12:16 PM
hoodjem, I use lead roofing material. They come in sheets made of dense lead. This is what I used to lead my n90s to 16oz in the past. Comfortable configuration for stiff sticks.

16oz i.e x 28.35 = 453.. are you super pete... man that is way too much..

AV1
07-30-2008, 12:54 PM
I recently picked up the Aerogel 100 in 4 1/4 grip.

I added 18 grams to the racket:
8 grams at 0.5" - handle.
8 grams at 22.8" - roughly 10 and 2 o'clock.
2 grams at 12 o'clock.

I also replaced the synthetic grip with TW leather and an over-grip.

The racket is now weighted at 350g.

BreakPoint
07-30-2008, 01:10 PM
ZZdark, Keifers, BP, hoodjem,

Thanks for your suggestions to modify and help redeem my feelings towards the AG100. Since it is not my racket, I can only add lead (2-3oz) at the top of the handle that would increase its static weight and SW.
You're welcome, JB! :)

Do you think you could install a leather grip on your demo racquet temporarily? I think that would help quite a bit.

Good luck!

Keifers
07-30-2008, 01:20 PM
^^^

Another possibility is to open the trap door in the butt cap and put some lead in there.

A friend of mine added 8 grams to his AG100 by putting lead in there.

Not criticizing you, jason... just adding 2-3 ozs of lead at top of the handle would mess up the balance and sw of the racquet for me, making the comparison with the K90 somewhat unfair. Imo... :)

Bud
07-30-2008, 01:49 PM

2 grams at 12 o'clock.

Yes... it doesn't take much weight on the AG100. I add a leather grip and about 12-16 grams (approx. 0.5 oz.) at 9/3. With those two simple modification it weighs between 12.5-12.8 oz. and plays perfectly.

jasonbourne
07-30-2008, 02:46 PM
You're welcome, JB! :)

Do you think you could install a leather grip on your demo racquet temporarily? I think that would help quite a bit.

Good luck!

BP, if I do that I may not be able to neatly wrap the demo stock grip back on.:neutral: I figured adding weight to top of the handle would aid in adding extra weight where the leather grip would. One clear benefit for adding the leather grip would be a better racket handle. I did not like the stock grip.

jasonbourne
07-30-2008, 02:52 PM
^^^

Another possibility is to open the trap door in the butt cap and put some lead in there.

A friend of mine added 8 grams to his AG100 by putting lead in there.

Not criticizing you, jason... just adding 2-3 ozs of lead at top of the handle would mess up the balance and sw of the racquet for me, making the comparison with the K90 somewhat unfair. Imo... :)

Keifers, no criticism taken. I appreciate your suggestions and try to be open to learning different ways to achieve a better result.

Adding the extra weight to the handle of the AG100 would be unfair for K90? I don't think I followed your point. :confused:

jasonbourne
07-30-2008, 02:58 PM
16oz i.e x 28.35 = 453.. are you super pete... man that is way too much..

nn, this weight was used for less than a year as I recovered from a wrist injury. This weight allowed the racket to do most of the work in absorbing shots.

Since my wrist is stronger now, I no longer use this weight.

hoodjem
07-30-2008, 03:03 PM
nn, this weight was used for less than a year as I recovered from a wrist injury.
Now that Jason's wrist has recovered, he is back to his standard 22 ounce racquet.
:D:D:D

hoodjem
07-30-2008, 03:05 PM

2 grams at 12 o'clock.

Was the extra weight of the leather grip and overgrip part of the "8 grams at 0.5" - handle"?

Bud
07-30-2008, 03:06 PM
Was the extra weight of the leather grip and overgrip part of the "8 grams at 0.5" - handle"?

It sounds like he added that in addition to the leather grip.

AV1
07-30-2008, 03:24 PM

No - I added 8 grams in addition to the leather and overgrip.

The difference in weight between the original synthetic grip and TW leather was only 2g. This was one of the reasons I added 2g of lead at the head of the racket - 12 o'clock.

jasonbourne
07-30-2008, 03:32 PM
hoodjem, you are hilarious! Thanks for the good humor. :D

BreakPoint
07-30-2008, 03:53 PM
The difference in weight between the original synthetic grip and TW leather was only 2g.
Really? Are you sure? I didn't weigh the original synthetic grip nor the TW leather grip separately but I would have guessed the weight difference to be closer to 8 grams or so as just changing grips increased the weight of the racquet by about 0.3 oz.

nn
07-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Yes... it doesn't take much weight on the AG100. I add a leather grip and about 12-16 grams (approx. 0.5 oz.) at 9/3. With those two simple modification it weighs between 12.5-12.8 oz. and plays perfectly.

in that case way k90 feel heavy which is 12.5 strung and mine is even less because selected one which was little lower (347 with wilson paper in hoop)..

AV1
07-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Really? Are you sure? I didn't weigh the original synthetic grip nor the TW leather grip separately but I would have guessed the weight difference to be closer to 8 grams or so as just changing grips increased the weight of the racquet by about 0.3 oz.

Yeah, I was surprised by the difference - or lack of difference. So much so that I actually unwrapped the TW leather grip and weighed it side by side with the original synthetic grip.

I use the 22mm x 1.3mm TW grip.
What I've found is that these grips (same size, 22 x 1.3) vary quite a bit in weight. I've found as much as a 3 gram difference in their weight...

Keifers
07-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Keifers, no criticism taken. I appreciate your suggestions and try to be open to learning different ways to achieve a better result.

Adding the extra weight to the handle of the AG100 would be unfair for K90? I don't think I followed your point. :confused:
Thanks, jason. Let me try to clarify...

Where you add weight is significant. I understand that because it was a demo racquet, you couldn't/didn't want to add weight under the grip or replace the grip with leather.

However, adding 2-3 ozs -- quite a bit of weight -- just above the handle is a pretty significant customization that, for me, would change the way the AG100 swings pretty drastically.

The most "neutral" place (swing-wise) to add a lot of weight is directly under where your hand grips the racquet. Alternatively (not touching the grip), you would add weight above the handle and some weight in or on the butt cap to counterbalance the weight above the handle. (There's a very good tutorial about adding weight at racquet research . com (remove spaces).)

Comparing the AG100 with the K90, the K90 has significant advantage in that it's much heavier statically and your strokes are grooved for that weight and balance and sw. Adding 2-3 ozs just above the handle makes the two sticks more comparable in terms of static weight, but not in the other two parameters and doesn't show the AG100 at its best.

A "fairer" comparison would be between the K90 and an AG100 with weight added in the handle and around the hoop.

Is that clearer? Or muddier? I hope it's clearer!...

geesechops
07-30-2008, 07:28 PM
The most "neutral" place (swing-wise) to add a lot of weight is directly under where your hand grips the racquet. Alternatively (not touching the grip), you would add weight above the handle and some weight in or on the butt cap to counterbalance the weight above the handle. (There's a very good tutorial about adding weight at racquet research . com (remove spaces).)

This is what I did. Although, my wrist has been feeling it slightly because I am so used to the weight of the PS85. It is easy to use the MG Prestige because it feels like my 85's, but the AG100 is so darn fun with all its spin. If I'm playing anyone but flat hard hitters I prefer to use the AG.

BP also warned me that the AG might be a little light for my taste and he was right. Btw, did you ever hit with the MG Prestige BP?

BreakPoint
07-30-2008, 08:01 PM
BP also warned me that the AG might be a little light for my taste and he was right. Btw, did you ever hit with the MG Prestige BP?
Yes, I have hit with the MG Prestige Mid and really liked it. However, when I hit with it back-to-back with my AK90, I still preferred the feel of the AK90 as it just felt more "solid" to me. But the MGP had more power so it was easier for me to hit winners with it. Both the MGP and the AG100 are great racquets and it would be hard to decide between the two. They just have different feels and the biggest difference may be their string patterns, although the AG100 plays a tad stiffer to me than the MGP.

geesechops
07-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Once again you are dead on. I can't believe the power I get on flat shots with the MG almost as much as I couldn't believe the spin that the AG100 had. Your AK90 must be weighted up because the MG felt crazy stable, well hitting back to back with the AG100. And your right about the pattern difference playing a role. I have never used a racquet with such a dense pattern. It hits a great flat ball, but I wish I could get a kicker like I do with the AG100. I'll probably have to try 18 gage strings. Once again racquet choices are all about trade offs.

hoodjem
07-31-2008, 07:20 AM
Yes, I was tempted by the MG Prestige Mid, but I am staying away from 18 X 20 string patterns.

hoodjem
07-31-2008, 07:22 AM
Did anyone else notice that the Dunlop buttcap seems small?

(Is this "true" or is my hand just more used to a fat Wilson buttcap?)

Rabbit
07-31-2008, 07:25 AM
yes, compared to Volkl it is small

NoBadMojo
07-31-2008, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I was surprised by the difference - or lack of difference. So much so that I actually unwrapped the TW leather grip and weighed it side by side with the original synthetic grip.

I use the 22mm x 1.3mm TW grip.
What I've found is that these grips (same size, 22 x 1.3) vary quite a bit in weight. I've found as much as a 3 gram difference in their weight...

for sure....some leather grip brands have relatively big variances in their weights. i saved this from some while ago, but it illustrates exactly what you are talking about. here is an MRT who strings at some pro events and was discussing Volkl DNX9's and Babolat leather grips. thing is though that 3 grams difference concentrated in the handle doesnt really change the swingweight to any meaningful extent. people should learn to think more about swingweight and balance and not be so obsessed w. static weight
<paste>
Frame 3 was the heaviest (318g), 2 the lightest (313g), 1 was right in the middle at 315.3g. I removed the grips from 2 and 3 and switched them. That made the gap between the lightest and the heaviest 3g....was able to match all 3 at 317g 30.5 bp and 293 sw....

Strung them up with lux alu at 22.5kg...they are all between 318 and 320 for final strung sw...For me..Perfect.

Hit with one this morning after my ALTA match...should have used it instead of 10ve...I was hitting about 3 ft deeper in the court with less effort, more clearance over the net and better rotation...Serves...pace and spin is just better...Can you say: Age and mids don't mix? Never thought I would say it....

Is it just me or are these grips more square than earlier models? It feels different than my VEmids...maybe it's the leather...I like it...I was absolutely crushing my backhand with it...

Cheers!
<end paste>

vickytor
07-31-2008, 08:43 AM
Demoed an AG200 yesterday since I wanted to get a feeling of a heavier Aerogel (didn't have a chance to try adding weight to the AG100 I demoed). Of course, it played differently because of the the string pattern and larger headsize, but I could feel a little more stability with the higher swingweight.

It still had the great feedback that felt from the AG100, but I'm starting to wonder if some of the "feel" that I'm getting is actually the vibration from the racquets striking the tennis ball. Perhaps the more stable and heavy the racquet, the less feeling you get out of it?

Have any of you done a "feel comparison" between a stock AG100 and leaded up one?

Rabbit
07-31-2008, 09:07 AM
Well, I did it. I put in an order with TW yesterday morning for 3 Dunlop AG 100s, 3/8 grips. Looks like I'm an official member of the club now.

Return_Ace
07-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Ooh congrats Rabbit....

And...

IT'S ALIVEEEEEE ! ! !

Quick call to vantage paul about my leather grips yesterday and a very nice response that they'd just arrived in the morning and would be shipped out... and they arrived today :D (also got an apology for lack of email updates... although he said he was sure he'd sent me one -blame server :P).

So...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/SethAnubis/Tennis/th_DSC00270.jpg (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/SethAnubis/Tennis/DSC00270.jpg)

Just need to find a time to hit with it :P.

Keifers
07-31-2008, 09:28 AM
Well, I did it. I put in an order with TW yesterday morning for 3 Dunlop AG 100s, 3/8 grips. Looks like I'm an official member of the club now.
Congrats, Rabbit. :)

I'm very tempted myself -- the AG100 is the first racquet in a long time that I've gotten really excited about.

Just curious, did you ask TW to match the frames? If so, which parameters, and did they charge you extra? Many thanks.

Rabbit
07-31-2008, 09:55 AM
Ooh congrats Rabbit....

Thanks!

Congrats, Rabbit. :)

I'm very tempted myself -- the AG100 is the first racquet in a long time that I've gotten really excited about.

Just curious, did you ask TW to match the frames? If so, which parameters, and did they charge you extra? Many thanks.

I feel exactly the same way. This racket is just plain fun to play with. And, it definetly gives me a performance boost. I don't see any downside with regard to how it's set up stock. I don't have a stability problem hitting with it and have hit against some pretty hard hitters. I made damn sure I gave this one a thorough testing before I decided to buy.

I'm really excited about the prospect of moving from an all-poly set up to an all-gut set up. Gut or multis just play better around the net. I like PolyForce Original and Xtreme a lot they provide great control, but they are not feel-oriented.

You know, I did not ask TW to match. I thought about it. But, really and truly, 2 - 5 grams ain't gonna make/break my game. I don't see me losing any games because there's a few grams difference in the frames. As far as matching, I have lead tape, a digital scale, a balance board, and access to TW's Racket U. If it becomes an issue to me, I'll take care of it. If I can't do it, I have access to a maestro of customization who might be willing to help me out for a reasonable amount.

Keifers
07-31-2008, 10:11 AM
^^^

Fair enough. Sounds like you have the tools to make any adjustments, should that be necessary. And a maestro of customization as back up (that's pretty cool!).

I like to get to net whenever I can ("first to the net, first to the pub"), and I'm looking forward to seeing how the Ag100 feels with all gut or a gut hybrid.

Let us know how you go. Thanks.

jasonbourne
07-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Keifers, thank you very much for the clear explanation of what you meant earlier. I agree with your advice.

While you sent this to me yesterday, I just returned from giving the AG100 another chance with the extra weight at top of the handle. I am now familiar with what AG100 fans have been clamoring about. I preferred the (raw--liken to POG mid) feel and (Prestige-like) directional control better than the K90. I think the stiffness, frame flex plus the syngut strings made the difference. In addition, after playing four days in a row, 2hrs each, I did not feel any discomfort from the AG100 yesterday.

I am intrigued that typically heavy, MS frames are low powered and offer great control. The lighter MP frames are usually more powerful. The AG100 is a light, MS with low power and amazing control. Adding weight will add to the power, while still being maneuverable. I wonder if Dunlop's intention was to appeal to a wider range of players unlike the typical MS frame would.

I greatly enjoyed the ability to hit consistent and solid from both sides at the baseline during a rally, then be able to consistently and effectively crack a shot with the same swing speed, but slight more whip at a fraction of second prior to striking the ball for a change in direction and/or extra pace to force an error or earn a clean winner. The very HL balance, hoop stiffness and frame flex aspect of the frame allows that. I don't think I could produce this consistently with K90.

I expect the performance to be better if I were to use lead in the hoop with a balance in the handle as you suggested. Last night's experience was great! :razz:

I look forward to another 8hrs of great tennis with this demo.

jasonbourne
07-31-2008, 12:36 PM
It still had the great feedback that felt from the AG100, but I'm starting to wonder if some of the "feel" that I'm getting is actually the vibration from the racquets striking the tennis ball. Perhaps the more stable and heavy the racquet, the less feeling you get out of it?

Have any of you done a "feel comparison" between a stock AG100 and leaded up one?

vickytor, I explained earlier that stock AG100 was too low of power for me against one of my hitting partners. Most of my shots were easy for my partner to gain control of the point. The racket provided more than sufficient feedback to my hand at the pace I had to deal with coming from my partner's racket.

Yesterday I increased the static and swing weight. This made a world of difference. I enjoyed the feel. It was raw, like a POG mid.

mdjenders
07-31-2008, 12:49 PM
got mine today, strung with dunlop max comfort 17g at 51. a quick hit showed that in stock form, it is VERY low powered and VERY spin friendly. I think that if I am to use this one, I need to drop the tension or add mass.

s7evin
07-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Ooh congrats Rabbit....

And...

IT'S ALIVEEEEEE ! ! !

Quick call to vantage paul about my leather grips yesterday and a very nice response that they'd just arrived in the morning and would be shipped out... and they arrived today :D (also got an apology for lack of email updates... although he said he was sure he'd sent me one -blame server :P).

So...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/SethAnubis/Tennis/th_DSC00270.jpg (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/SethAnubis/Tennis/DSC00270.jpg)

Just need to find a time to hit with it :P.

Smooth, i'm glad that you got the leathers.
BTW 'cause it took so long for them to arrive what did the labels say, "vintage"?

samster
07-31-2008, 05:33 PM
got mine today, strung with dunlop max comfort 17g at 51. a quick hit showed that in stock form, it is VERY low powered and VERY spin friendly. I think that if I am to use this one, I need to drop the tension or add mass.

This racket is not low-powered on the serve. The other strokes, may be. But not the serve. (My AG 100 is modified to 352 grams, 9 pt HL, however).

geesechops
07-31-2008, 07:12 PM
I agree with the "RAW' comment. I can work the ball to get those great angles I just can't get with my PS85 or MG Prestige Mid. It's not that I can't get spin out of them I just can't feel that bite as well. I think if I play with the weight more I will get a bit more drive on the back hand, which I need for this racquet to become my one and only.

Keifers
07-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Keifers, thank you very much for the clear explanation of what you meant earlier. I agree with your advice.

While you sent this to me yesterday, I just returned from giving the AG100 another chance with the extra weight at top of the handle. I am now familiar with what AG100 fans have been clamoring about. I preferred the (raw--liken to POG mid) feel and (Prestige-like) directional control better than the K90. I think the stiffness, frame flex plus the syngut strings made the difference. In addition, after playing four days in a row, 2hrs each, I did not feel any discomfort from the AG100 yesterday.
You're welcome, jason. I'm glad you're enjoying this rather unique racquet more now...

I am intrigued that typically heavy, MS frames are low powered and offer great control. The lighter MP frames are usually more powerful. The AG100 is a light, MS with low power and amazing control. Adding weight will add to the power, while still being maneuverable. I wonder if Dunlop's intention was to appeal to a wider range of players unlike the typical MS frame would.
I agree. The stock AG100 is quite light for a Mid, but it's stable, maneuverable, offers excellent control, has a very decent size sweetspot for a 90, and serves huge. That a 4.5 like Rabbit has no problem using it stock against hard hitters says a lot, imo.

That it can also be customized to add heft, power and plowthrough without compromising its best features probably does make it appealing to a wider range of players than other Mids, at least any other Mid that I know of.

I greatly enjoyed the ability to hit consistent and solid from both sides at the baseline during a rally, then be able to consistently and effectively crack a shot with the same swing speed, but slight more whip at a fraction of second prior to striking the ball for a change in direction and/or extra pace to force an error or earn a clean winner. The very HL balance, hoop stiffness and frame flex aspect of the frame allows that. I don't think I could produce this consistently with K90.
I think you're onto something here... The AG100 seems to allow micro-adjustments just before impact and probably during impact (because of its excellent dwell time), and so allows us to hit shots we couldn't hit with heavier, low-power Mids or lighter, more powerful MPs. In my very first hitting session with it, I noticed I was thinking where I wanted to the ball to go...and it actually went there. Yikes! It was a little eerie at first, but then I settled down and just enjoyed it... :)

I expect the performance to be better if I were to use lead in the hoop with a balance in the handle as you suggested. Last night's experience was great! :razz:

I look forward to another 8hrs of great tennis with this demo.
Enjoy! ;)

mdjenders
07-31-2008, 10:09 PM
This racket is not low-powered on the serve. The other strokes, may be. But not the serve. (My AG 100 is modified to 352 grams, 9 pt HL, however).

Damn right it is :shock:! I hit some serves inside tonight and wow, after 5 minutes I was hitting some great serves for me, and for such a light racquet. Mine stock is 11.4oz, 9.5 pts HL, and it feels like the biggest chunk of weight is concentrated in the bottom of the throat right above the handle where the beam width bulges a bit. I am going to add lead to 3/9 to get mine up to 12.0oz and see how it hits.

samster
07-31-2008, 10:54 PM
Damn right it is :shock:! I hit some serves inside tonight and wow, after 5 minutes I was hitting some great serves for me, and for such a light racquet. Mine stock is 11.4oz, 9.5 pts HL, and it feels like the biggest chunk of weight is concentrated in the bottom of the throat right above the handle where the beam width bulges a bit. I am going to add lead to 3/9 to get mine up to 12.0oz and see how it hits.

Try a little lead...it will add significant pop to the serve.

Rabbit
08-01-2008, 06:00 AM
...a quick hit showed that in stock form, it is VERY low powered and VERY spin friendly. I think that if I am to use this one, I need to drop the tension or add mass.

Hmmmm........

Hmmmmm hmmmmmmm......

AHA!

Try a little lead...it will add significant pop to the serve.

mdjenders, I'm glad you revised your assessment. I have found the racket to have more than enough power. IMO, this frame is significantly more powerful than my C10s which are 98 sq in.

samster, old buddy, how much lead are you talking here? My thinking with this frame is that it wouldn't hurt me one iota to have something a little lighter than the current 12.7 ounces (or 357 grams for you techno-geeks) I'm currently swinging along with a lighter swingweight. That kind of weight tends to get a little tedious after a couple of hours in 100 degree heat/100 percent humidity.

And, samster, old buddy, how much improvement does it make in your serves? Mine are already noticably faster...I can't wait until I get mine and put some leather on them. This alone will make them much easier to use IMO. The stock grip is horrible.

samster
08-01-2008, 06:07 AM
Hmmmm........

Hmmmmm hmmmmmmm......

AHA!

mdjenders, I'm glad you revised your assessment. I have found the racket to have more than enough power. IMO, this frame is significantly more powerful than my C10s which are 98 sq in.

samster, old buddy, how much lead are you talking here? My thinking with this frame is that it wouldn't hurt me one iota to have something a little lighter than the current 12.7 ounces (or 357 grams for you techno-geeks) I'm currently swinging along with a lighter swingweight. That kind of weight tends to get a little tedious after a couple of hours in 100 degree heat/100 percent humidity.

And, samster, old buddy, how much improvement does it make in your serves? Mine are already noticably faster...I can't wait until I get mine and put some leather on them. This alone will make them much easier to use IMO. The stock grip is horrible.

Mr. Rabbit,

My usual grip size is 5/8 and I got my AG100 used from BP in 3/8. I applied a shrink sleeve to make it into 1/2 grip and put a replacement grip on it. With that setup, one overgrip, one shockbuster, it comes out to be 352 grams and 9 pt HL balance. Without the shockbuster, it is 349 grams or so. I didn't use lead in the hoop because I prefer a very HL balance.

I would say my flat 1st serve is at least 10-15 mph more than my usual best. Volleys are still very easy with this setup with excellent maneuverability.

Good luck with your AG 100. It is one sweet looking frame and it plays sweet too!

biggsy
08-01-2008, 08:04 AM
so i'm thinking excellent....a not too heavy racquet, an open string pattern and a racket that everyone seems to like. i live in the UK and it has now been discontinued!!!!!......the main shop that was doing them said that they are now waiting for the new Dunlop range that come out here in September time.....grrr!!!!:evil:

Return_Ace
08-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Smooth, i'm glad that you got the leathers.
BTW 'cause it took so long for them to arrive what did the labels say, "vintage"?

Thanks, + lol :lol:

I messed up the bottom when applying it... mistook which side it tapered and i started wrapping it upside down... not very nice when you're also stretching it so it's distorted... :(.

But it turned out useable in the end... at least i'm not OCD about that :D.

The overgrip however... i nabbed it off of my i.prestige mid xl (because i had to remove it anyways to put a leather on that as well.).... I would have thought i'd be able to use the same one and just reapply it but it came back horribly short.

Then decided to use it for the AG100... i thought the extended length handle would mean there would be some "spare" as such... no such luck... it even came out short if i didn't properly try to stretch it... =/... think i could have over-stretched it... it's become much thinner (as in less wide) meaning it needs more wraps to go up :?.

hoodjem
08-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Here's what I wrote earlier this week--

And again later--

And, while the K90 racquet reminded me a lot of the feel of the PS 85 racquet in terms of weight, density, vibration, sound, I could not do all that much with it.

So--to quote quite a few of you--this morning I "pulled the trigger."

Can't wait to tweak this baby up (leather grip, lead tape, etc.) to my specs. And start exploring a whole new territory.

Dave M
08-01-2008, 11:59 AM
sosaid that they are now waiting for the new Dunlop range that come out here in September time.....grrr!!!!:evil:

Really?Only just got mine too, ho hum time to look out for discontinued bargains in sept then!!

bad_call
08-01-2008, 05:06 PM

Rabbit - dang u waste no time. here i've been sitting on the fence waiting to see about the AG 100...and focusing on my latest custom surfboard.

Rabbit
08-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Well, it was just such fun to play with...and easy too. Serving is a joy, groundies have plenty of everything and at net it is rapier-like.

iksmols
08-01-2008, 10:49 PM

I switched to the AG100 from the Pro Staff 6.0 85. I have played with the K90, AK90, MG Prestige Mid and RDS 001 Mid in the past year in my quest to find a mid that would take me to another level in terms of consistency, power and spin. Some had their nice qualities, but none overall measured up to the PS85 for me in terms of getting the win in a match. The AG100 seemed to do everything well for me. I'm looking foreword to really getting used to this racquet like I am with my PS85's and bringing out all its potential, and mine.
It is amazing to me how our quests to find the ultimate racquet seem similar.
I used to play with PS85,then went for K90(played for about a year),came back to PS 85 and now based on Your opinion I have just ordered Aerogel 100 without even demoing.I hope that I will not be disappointed.

geesechops
08-02-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm sure you wont. And if you are they don't cost that much anyways, which is nice. This racquet is just easy and fun. My friend who has used the N90 for three years wanted to steal mine yesterday after I let him hit with it for a while. He had all the same reactions to it as all the members here. Luckily for him he uses a 4 3/8 grip and can order one. Unfortunately for me, I use a 4 1/4 and a just have the one 4 3/8 and TW wont be getting anymore until October. But, I'm still sticking with the AG100 none the less.

jasonbourne
08-02-2008, 11:25 AM
geesechops, I don't know your friend with the n90, but I am surprised how he is fickle to switch from his current racket to the AG100. The past couple of evenings under windy conditions and courts with spotted shade (due to sun shining through tree leaves and branches) I realized AG100 lacked plow through for me on slight miss hits. I found myself struggling to handle heavy, fast shots from my opponent. I switched to my K90 for the remainder of our session for more comfort.

The other night when I enjoyed the AG100 there was no wind, night lights of the court were bright and the courts clean. Hence, this is as close of conditions I get to probably your indoor courts you play on.

The n90 has far more plow through compared to the AG100 due to its static weight, SW and balance. Out of curiosity, how much and where did you place extra weight on your AG100 to get it perform for your friend with the n90?

nn
08-02-2008, 12:15 PM
I had problem with nBlade even it was leaded with windy condition. K90 in stock form has no issue. I has enough of lead tape modification since K90 will need no modification ever to play. If you notice Roger uses the stock on with little more weight for clay but close to 360 on hard court. (mine comes to 354 with x-biphase & 350 with wilson sensation + overgrip + dampener)

jasonbourne
08-02-2008, 12:59 PM
nn, I'm not familiar with nblade. I suspect it lacks plow through. Against the wind or swirly wind conditions I struggled to get the AG100 to hit through the wind.

In addition to the K90, I tried the POG mid. Both were able to penetrate through the wind to be effective against a hard-hitting baseliner I hit with.

Bud
08-02-2008, 03:52 PM

Add just a small amount of mass.

A leather grip and 12-15 grams at 3/9 makes it a perfect stick.

geesechops
08-02-2008, 04:54 PM
I have lead in the handle, wrapped around the handle above were I grip and at 3 and 9. Actually, I'm not sure why my friend uses the N90 because he likes to hit with allot of spin and whip on his shots so the AG100 is a just a better fit for him anyway. He's not much of a gear nut and really just plays with whatever he's got on hand so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Well, usually when I play indoors it's with new balls and the court offers a truer bounce so I have no problem hitting clean and generating pace with lighter racquets. I used to play outdoors more on tore up courts that were very slick and I needed allot of weight and low tension. Now that I play more tennis indoors I prefer a lighter stick with more spin potential. Even though I don't plow through the ball as much as with my ProStaff's my hitting partners say my balls are kicking up allot and are harder to handle.

geesechops
08-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Rabbit,

What tension and gage are you using with the Pacific Gut? How's it been working out?

Rabbit
08-04-2008, 01:43 AM
Rabbit,

What tension and gage are you using with the Pacific Gut? How's it been working out?

I receive them today. I'll string them up and let you know. The plan right now is for Classic @ 60

Oh, and 16 gauge at first. I see TW has 17 gauge available in Classic, so I might be spending more of my kid's college fund...

hoodjem
08-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Damn, I can't wait for mine!

geesechops
08-04-2008, 06:56 AM
I have one @ 55lbs and it feels REAL tight. I'm going to try out 48lbs this week. Looser tensions really help my one-hander no matter what the racquet.

Rabbit
08-04-2008, 09:21 AM
I had to restring the demo and did so at 58. I hit a one-hander and preferred looser tensions in the C10. I found 58 to be great in this frame.

emmanuel
08-04-2008, 11:00 AM
I am using 58 pounds too. Works great.
I am going to try with 55 pounds later.

kekeketennis
08-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Well, just got mine, strung with Big Banger @ 52lbs. Added a leather grip. Feels like it needs a bit more stability and could be less head light. From what I gather most people say small amounts at 3-9 o'clock is fine. I want to keep it under or at 355 grams (~12.5 ozs) around 6 points head light. Recommendations on where I should put the lead? Anyone try lead @ 12 o'clock? Sorry kind of new to this customization thing.

Rabbit
08-04-2008, 06:14 PM
I got mine today. Strung 'em all up at 60 pounds, added a leather grip and voila! They be ready. Weights come in at 345 grams. They swing noticably lighter than my C10s. I am pumped about playing with natural gut in them. (Initially 2 strung with multi, one strung with Prime/PolyForce Orig hybrid). Plan is after deciding tension for sure to go to an all-gut job in two of them and a nice multi in the 3rd.

I'm now an offical member of the AG100 club. :)

iksmols
08-04-2008, 10:21 PM
"geesechops"- Have You completely moved from PS 85 to AG 100?because after trying demo yesterday I have second thoughts.It just feels too light for me.I switched in the middle of the first set (loosing 1:3)to my PS 85 and won the match 6:4 ,6:1)I hope that it was the string (high tension and some cheap string).I am expecting my ag 100 to arrive tomorrow strung with topspin cf @50 LB.I will give it a try.
In case it doesn`t work out for me,can I count on a trade for one of your PS 85?

morten
08-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Well, my AG100 honeymoon could be over, that ps85 is simply too sweet to put down. AG100 is good, but nothing special.... I will try tweaking it more with lead .. One racket also had a smaller grip! I ordered two in L3 :(

geesechops
08-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Lowering the string tension did help me out allot. For now I'm using the AG100 exclusively. I think at my level it just works. I can take the ball earlier, 2nd serves are more reliable, touch shots are even better believe it or not, angle shots are better, having this much spin on tap is a great for all my shots and increases my consistency. Of course I would be more comfortable with my PS85's because I have played with them for years, but only time and practice will give me that kind of comfort with a different stick and so far it's going well.

lol, I don't know about a trade though. I'll be keeping most of them for my kids down the road.

geesechops
08-05-2008, 11:21 AM
And that's why I don't really demo, because the string setup is usually crap at best and I can't really get a feel for what a stick can do. I'll just buy one racquet, string it up and play for a week or two and if I'm not into it, sell it on the boards here.

Keifers
08-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Got my AG100 today. Strung with TNT2 Pro Plus 17L (1.24mm) @ 55 lbs. With a rubberband dampener it weighs 330 grams and is 7 pts HL.

I decided to try it without any mods at all... Played 3 sets of doubles and boy, was it fun! I was serving like a maniac (only broken once), I hit penetrating groundies, and volleyed with precision.

My other racquets are in the 350-365 gram range. I couldn't believe the oomph and control I was getting from this 330 gram stick -- remarkable!

Additional comments:
Next time around, I'll probably drop the tension to 52 or 53 lbs., for a little more comfort without compromising control. For my game, softer -- not firmer -- strings are the way to go in this frame; nat gut could be magic...

Compared to the PS 85, the AG100 definitely does not feel as solid on impact. However, the 100 cups the ball in a way the 85 can't match. (Does some of this very noticeable dwell time come from the 100's very thin bridge?)

Return_Ace
08-07-2008, 01:39 AM
Damn all of you guys being able to play with yours :|

Mine's still lying in my room =/

Tennis Club is far away and on the days i can make it, it's always pouring down wtih rain :cry::cry::cry:

iksmols
08-07-2008, 09:39 AM
What a trip.From total crap to total gem.This racquet is really string sensitive.I believe the demo was strung with some cheap string @ around 60 lb (at least this is how it felt).Totally different experience today.I do agree with "geesechops".I could serve bombs with this stick and I am ready to declare this racquet as (I can`t believe I am saying this)my favorite serving one.By the way I had it strung with Topspin Cyberflash 16 @ 50 lb.The weight with rubber band and wilson pro overgrip is 11.8 and balance is 6.5 headlight . I am ready to give it an extended tryout.Lower tension and polyester string made all the difference.It just feels like totally different racquet to me.All I can say is : I love it !.Thanks "geesechops"

bossass
08-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Disappointing first hit with my new AG100:

I bought it based on a good experience with the TW demo, and thinking new string would really help it out. I got it strung with Klip Legend at 54 pounds. I was surprised to find that the racket felt kinda boardy and I was having a much more difficult time finding the sweetspot than with the demo. Also the stability was more of an issue. If I really cut at it without being super set up, I could feel the frame twisting and shots would get away from me. It also didn't seem to feel as light as the demo did.

Is Klip Gut an overly heavy string? I def. didn't have too much power. I'm thinking perhaps I need to go to a lower tension with a more comfortable string (is this possible, I thought full gut would be real comfortable)? And maybe add some lead at 3 and 9 to make things more stable. My problem is I got this stick to contend with my PT280. I could tell with the demo it was noticeably more manueverable than the PT. If I make it heavier and it begins to come close to the PT280 in weight, what's the point? Why not just stick with the PT (which when I came back to last night, felt like coming home). The one thing I was pleased with was serves. Bombs. I really wasn't serving well (more my fault for being out of practice), but I could tell the potential vs. the PT.

geesechops
08-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks iksmols. It's good to know someone can benefit from my ramblings. :)

The racquet can definitely feel boardy even with gut. At 55lbs of VS 16 it had that board feel, but as soon as I went to 50-53lbs all was good.

Keifers
08-08-2008, 09:26 PM

I bought it based on a good experience with the TW demo, and thinking new string would really help it out. I got it strung with Klip Legend at 54 pounds. I was surprised to find that the racket felt kinda boardy and I was having a much more difficult time finding the sweetspot than with the demo. Also the stability was more of an issue. If I really cut at it without being super set up, I could feel the frame twisting and shots would get away from me. It also didn't seem to feel as light as the demo did.

Is Klip Gut an overly heavy string? I def. didn't have too much power. I'm thinking perhaps I need to go to a lower tension with a more comfortable string (is this possible, I thought full gut would be real comfortable)? And maybe add some lead at 3 and 9 to make things more stable. My problem is I got this stick to contend with my PT280. I could tell with the demo it was noticeably more manueverable than the PT. If I make it heavier and it begins to come close to the PT280 in weight, what's the point? Why not just stick with the PT (which when I came back to last night, felt like coming home). The one thing I was pleased with was serves. Bombs. I really wasn't serving well (more my fault for being out of practice), but I could tell the potential vs. the PT.
Of all the nat guts I've used the last few years -- Bab VS, BDE, Bow and Klip -- Klip Legend (16) felt the stiffest. In one case, so stiff it didn't feel like gut to me. :( (I tried a second set at the same tension and got the same result, btw.) If the Klip in your AG100 was pre-stretched before stringing, the problem would have been made worse. (Was it Legend 16 or 17?)

So that may account for some of the problems you experienced. A boardy stringbed will make the sweetspot feel small and the racquet feel unstable, I'm thinking.

I resonate with your concern about needing to add a lot of weight to the 100. My usual sticks are around 360 grams and I'm very much hoping that I can add weight to handle and hoop of my 100, but not end up adding so much that it loses some of its inherent advantages.

Except for my SV, this is the best serving stick I've ever owned and I really want to preserve that characteristic. I'll start modifying mine this weekend.

DonBot
08-08-2008, 09:36 PM
I have the thick heavy leather grips from tw on mine and have tried lead in the following spots: 10+2- 4 grams, 3+9- 4 grams then I tried 3 grams in those spots and then 2 grams. No matter what I do I can not make the thing hit decent slice and my ground strokes are stupidly powerful. I can not get over how much of a cannon this thing is. I have it strung with big hitter blue 16g at 61 lbs. I am not really sure what to do with it to make it a little more responsive and controllable. I am thinking about putting on the thinner grips which should help me snap my wrist a little bit more. I think the thick heavy grips are too big and inhibit wrist snap. I just feel like every time I tinker with the weight I fix some problems, but make others worse. I.E. all the lead in the head makes it serve and crush overheads better but return of serve suffers as the thing becomes a real club.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this thing. I am not really wild about lowering string tension as I think it is really super powered even up at 61lbs. I really like the thing and think it has a ton of potential, but I have hit with my PSL over the last couple of days, beacause the control is just out of this world. I am looking for any advice on how to make the aero 100 a more control oriented frame.

Keifers
08-08-2008, 09:48 PM
^^^

Do you remember how much weight was added when you replaced the original grip with the tw leather? And how much was the balance changed when you added the lead?

I'm thinking the lead changed the balance to less head light, which would tend to up the power you get from the frame...

Keifers
08-08-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm planning to start by installing a 25mm X 1.5mm (wider, thicker) tw leather grip, along with some lead tape under the grip.

Then I'll add weight in small increments at 3:00 and 9:00 until I get the stability I need to handle heavy incoming balls. Right now, my stick is 330 grams and 7 pts HL -- it gets pushed around unless I find the sweetspot perfectly, and even then, the racquet feels too different from my other sticks.

iksmols
08-09-2008, 06:08 AM
Thanks iksmols. It's good to know someone can benefit from my ramblings. :)

The racquet can definitely feel boardy even with gut. At 55lbs of VS 16 it had that board feel, but as soon as I went to 50-53lbs all was good.

I was amazed how different this racquet plays @ lower tension and it doesn`t hurt the control that much since the power level is so low to begin with.I might even consider stringing it @ 48 lb (poly)next time.

emmanuel
08-09-2008, 07:31 AM
I am using 58 pounds of tension.
I would like to know if I use 55 or 50 pounds I will lose a lot of control.
The recommended range tension is 55-65 for AG100, but It seems AG100 works well with 55 or less pounds of tension.
(Excuse me my poor english)
Thanks a lot,
E.

Rabbit
08-09-2008, 08:56 AM

One thing to consider is that the demos are usually well broken in to almost worn out with reference to the strings. The one I got luckily broke which enabled me to restring and ensure that my tension was right.

You may want to back your tension down a bit 2 - 3 pounds.

DonBot
08-09-2008, 09:33 AM
^^^

Do you remember how much weight was added when you replaced the original grip with the tw leather? And how much was the balance changed when you added the lead?

I'm thinking the lead changed the balance to less head light, which would tend to up the power you get from the frame...

Well the grips adds something like 8 or so grams. I put it on a mock balance beam and it was 8 pts head light with a balance point of 12 1/2 inches. Out of the box stock with a leater grip and over grip with no damp or lead the thing is way too head light. I did not rebalance after adding lead, I was just experimenting with feel. No matter what I do to the thing it is just stupid powerful and I have to take nadal like topspin cuts to keep the ball in the court. I am so used to hitting lower powered sticks that this thing is a real trip.

I just got back from hitting with it again, I hit with it for the 1st half and my partner was commenting on how hard I was hitting. Then the second half I picked up my psl and proceeded to win every game after that. If I could find a way to tame the thing down I thought it might be a great stick. My current plan is to slap on the thinner grips which will drop the weight a bit and string one up with luxilon 5 star, which will be 1) stiff as all Heck 2) thicker gauge string 3) make it a little more head heavy due to the thicker string. I will give that a shot and then go back to the drawing board with lead. If that does not work I am going to say heck with it and dump them.

Fedace
08-09-2008, 09:41 AM
do you think AG 100 is more or less powerful than the Head Microgel Prestige Pro ?

YH8733
08-09-2008, 12:04 PM
I've been having the same problem as Donbot. I find the AG100 to be seriously powerful the more I play with it. I actually find it more powerful that my AG200 16x19. I've been using this stick for over 2 years now. I did have 6 grams at 3 and 6 grams at 9 o'clock, with that setup, it felt good with 56-58 lbs tensions. However, it was too taxing on my wrist. I am now using 3 grams at 3 and 3 grams at 9 o'clock. Doing this is forcing me to go up in tension to 60-61 lbs. I am using Lux ace 18g. Natural gut feels great the first 20 hours or so, but becomes too powerful after that.

JediMindTrick
08-09-2008, 03:10 PM

AG100 is a midsize, open string pattern, low swingweight, you can't compare it with the PT280, they are too different. If you want something to contend with the PT280, then try the AG200.

jck01
08-10-2008, 05:54 PM
I recently bought a used AG100 and it has Luxilon BB ALU Ice strung at 50lbs. I tried it without any mods and the racquet felt underpowered for me. I had to swing pretty fast just to get the ball over the net. Then I tried my PS6.0 (strung at 60lbs with Polystar Energy) and it felt more solid and more powerful. I made no mods to PS6.0 either.

Did anyone else have the problem that I have with my AG100? Am I using the right string? Or do I have to increase the string tension? In other words, do I have the right setup for the AG100 or do you think I need to work out a little bit more?

fortunecookiesjc
08-10-2008, 05:58 PM
I found the power to be alright, didn't feel underpowered though

I'm still looking for a racquet that is perfect in all aspect for me without much change and Ag100 is 8.5/10 for me.

ilian
08-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I just read through the whole thread... I plan on getting a demo next week and giving it a try. My all time favorite racquet is the MAX 200G so I am almost 100% sure that the AG 100 will not much up to that greatness, but I hope it will be good enough to convince me to get it over the Prince that I am using now...

morten
08-11-2008, 05:02 AM
I recently bought a used AG100 and it has Luxilon BB ALU Ice strung at 50lbs. I tried it without any mods and the racquet felt underpowered for me. I had to swing pretty fast just to get the ball over the net. Then I tried my PS6.0 (strung at 60lbs with Polystar Energy) and it felt more solid and more powerful. I made no mods to PS6.0 either.

Did anyone else have the problem that I have with my AG100? Am I using the right string? Or do I have to increase the string tension? In other words, do I have the right setup for the AG100 or do you think I need to work out a little bit more?

At the moment i still favour the ps85, but try some lead to the ag100...i brought it up to 355g, feels ok.

geesechops
08-11-2008, 10:01 AM
^^^^^ Have you tried the HEAD MG Prestige Mid? I think of it as my modern day PS85. The same solid hitting with loads of control, but much better returns against big servers.

The reason I ventured out in the first place from the PS85 is that playing against spinmasters off the ground and on the serve give me too many problems that I know has a little to do with the demanding nature of the racquet. I just need to find the right string for a 18X20 pattern and I'll be all set. The AG100 is still my best bet against spinmasters and pushers, but the MG Prestige is definitely what I grab when I play big flat hitters. So the AG100 is great against the 3.5-4.0 crew I play and the MG Prestige is when I play 4.5 and up. Different racquets for different needs.

hoodjem
08-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Mine just came this morning. Pristine and sweet.

Strung with Lux BB Ace 1.12 in the mains and Lux Supersense 1.25 in the crosses at 54/57. Feels very tight, but we'll see.

Can't wait to hit with it.

jck01
08-12-2008, 04:11 PM
^^^^^ Have you tried the HEAD MG Prestige Mid? I think of it as my modern day PS85. The same solid hitting with loads of control, but much better returns against big servers. . .

I have a Head Prestige Tour Mid that seems a little bit demanding for me. I wonder if it's similar in feel as the MG Prestige Mid. It's still in the closet waiting for me to get stronger. :-) PS85 has been pretty good to me so far and I've been pretty happy with it.

As suggested, I added a few grams of lead at 3 and 9 o'clock position to my new AG100. It felt much better than in stock form. I'll probably keep adding a bit more, hopefully, to make it even better.

hoodjem
08-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Hit with my new AG100 twice today. Once, alone on a backboard and then practicing serves. Man this baby is great on serves. Everything lands in the box. And the pace is better than I have ever had. Plus, placement is excellent--painting those corners of the box.

The second time was with my usual hitting partner tonight. He was amazed at the speed and spin I was getting. Said I had never hit a ball with such pace before. I was amazed at how I could get everything back, even his high-kicking forehand.

I don't know whether to credit the strings or the racquet. Yes I do believe that 54/57 is a little too tight; (I might try 52/55 next time). But I could still generate plenty of pop. And the control was laser-like.

Next up adding a leather grip and some head tape. Then Lead.

octman12
08-12-2008, 05:50 PM
I just got mine and I can't wait to hit with it

hoodjem
08-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey Octman,
M: Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 16 X: Luxilon Big Banger TiMO 18 sounds like a cool hybrid. Bet it has really good feel.

How come no poly on the mains?

hoodjem
08-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Has anyone compared an AG300 to the AG100?

Could one mod it up to make the weights comparable?

It would seems that with a 98 sq in. head (versus a 90) and the same 16 X 19 pattern that the AG300 would create even more spin.

That would be insane.

hoodjem
08-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Four days ago, very happy with my new AG100, I decided to tweak it a bit. Make it suit my style of play just a bit better.

First I took off the Dunlop Hydromax synthetic grip and replaced it with a TW 1.3mm leather grip. Then I added a Wilson Pro overgrip on top of that.

Then I put about 13.5 inches of Babolat head protection tape from 10 to 2 o'clock.

Then I put exactly 6 grams of Gamma head tape in four 1/4" strips (6 inches each) on the inside of the head running from 9-10 o'clock, and 3-2 o'clock.

With all this it weighed in at 12 ounces exactly (340 grams).

Friday, when I hit with it on a back board it felt very solid, very stable. Practicing my serves it also felt good but Iit seemed that I was bnot getting quite as much snap or pop on my serves. Placement was excellent but a few landed just a little long.

When I got to rally with my usual hitting partner, it felt really solid. There seemed to be no twisting of the frame on off-center hits. But it did feel very slightly sluggish on the backhand side, kind of K90ish. The air seemed thicker as I swung through it.

So last night I took off one gram of the lead tape (one inch off each strip at 10 and 2 o'clock).

This morning in hitting it felt perfect, positively perfect. Again very solid, very stable, but the quickness was back particularly on my backhand side. Actually this morning (after months of practice, grip change, and research) my backhand became a weapon-- more of an offensive shot. My hitting partner looked wide-eyed at a few crosscourt backhands and exclaimed "That's your shot."

So, for me, five grams of lead tape is the ticket.

(Now I just have to find the perfect strings.)

Hidious
08-17-2008, 11:19 AM
I feel stupid. In fact, i'm stupid.

I demoed a couple of frames et the end of last summer but i started playing awesome tennis with the Aerogel 200. So from all i read on these boards, i figured that i needed a racquet on the heavy side. I bought 3 Aerogels 200 and was happy until i tried the infamous Aerogel 100. I realized my 200s were too heavy for me and i felt like a new player with the 100s.

Now i'm stuck with 3 AG 200s that i can't really sell because of cosmetic condition. Why the hell did the 100s come out a year later?

BreakPoint
08-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Why the hell did the 100s came out a year later? It did. The AG100 actually came out in Europe at the beginning of 2007, the same time as the AG200. Dunlop just didn't bring it over to the U.S. until this summer.

Hidious
08-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Yea, i know that. I remember some reviews about AG100 from people who got it from Europe (you, i think?) but it's not until this summer that the hype about it started. The 4 3/8 is backorder almost everywhere and i heard they're going to discontinue it? Damn, i need more!

hoodjem
08-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Oh, I bet you can sell the AG200s here on the TW Classifieds. The AG200 has plenty of fans also.

Just rate them honestly, and price them appropriately.

I am wondering if anyone has compared an AG100 (16 X 19; 90 sq. in.) to a Euro AG200 (16 X 19; 95 sq. in.)?

Hidious
08-17-2008, 11:58 AM
I am wondering if anyone has compared an AG100 (16 X 19; 90 sq. in.) to a Euro AG200 (16 X 19; 95 sq. in.)?

Yes, there is a thread titled "AG100 vs AG200 16x19" or something very similar to that somewhere.

Miami Tiburon
08-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Why wont Dunlop keep making this model and selling it in the states.It does not make sence, but it does make this club more exclusive.The AG 1OO Rules !

s7evin
08-17-2008, 05:20 PM
^As far as i know it was already selling in the old continent for 1 year+...
And they will relese new aerogels soon ice, smoke or something like that, 1 will be 90si, if i'm not wrong.

Miami Tiburon
08-17-2008, 05:36 PM
^As far as i know it was already selling in the old continent for 1 year+...
And they will relese new aerogels soon ice, smoke or something like that, 1 will be 90si, if i'm not wrong.I know I had seen them for sale in the UK for a long time I grabbed mine the first week they were available in the U.S
from one of the online stores.The 4 1/4 was the last one they had in stock.Iam happy to hear they will be selling more 100 models.I just bought a 200 Aerogel Euro version which also has a 16 x 19 string pattern .

s7evin
08-17-2008, 05:49 PM
I know I had seen them for sale in the UK for a long time I grabbed mine the first week they were available in the U.S
from one of the online stores.The 4 1/4 was the last one they had in stock.Iam happy to hear they will be selling more 100 models.I just bought a 200 Aerogel Euro version which also has a 16 x 19 string pattern .

They wont have numbers in their names.
I think the 90si model will be AerogelSmoke.

Miami Tiburon
08-17-2008, 05:58 PM
They wont have numbers in their names.
I think the 90si model will be AerogelSmoke.Cool, I hope they come out soon.

geesechops
08-17-2008, 10:57 PM
The smoke is a 100sq inch tweener.

shintan17
08-18-2008, 01:09 AM
I just got my second one with the AG 6 pack bag for only 3500 baht in Thailand!! (little over $100). What a bargain!! I love the feel and control of this stick. And like everyone else has said in here, the serve is great!!

octman12
08-18-2008, 01:13 AM
Hey Octman,
M: Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 16 X: Luxilon Big Banger TiMO 18 sounds like a cool hybrid. Bet it has really good feel.

How come no poly on the mains?

oh its because its something different i wanted to try, before this racquet i use to put poly in the mains but yeah i love the feel of this racquet its really good

Return_Ace
08-18-2008, 01:19 AM
Looks like i'll never be able to try out this racket :|

The weather had been bad and then the worst blow of all was struck... i broke my ankle when i slipped on the stairs last week :(...

Seems like all forms of tennis (bar watching) are out of action for me *sigh* :cry:

Steve F.
08-18-2008, 02:50 AM
And they will relese new aerogels soon ice, smoke or something like that, 1 will be 90si, if i'm not wrong.

Hiya s7evin -
actually...
these named frames won't be replacing the 200, 300 series.
They're anew line of intermediate and beginner frames, check this blog post
t e n n i s e x p r e s s.uber.com/blogs/New_Dunlop_Aerogel_Additions.html

Steve F.
08-18-2008, 03:15 AM
Has anyone compared an AG300 to the AG100?

Could one mod it up to make the weights comparable?

It would seems that with a 98 sq in. head (versus a 90) and the same 16 X 19 pattern that the AG300 would create even more spin.

That would be insane.

Hey hoodjem -
I've hit with demos of both, both strung at midtension with soft multi.
No real comparison here other than Dunlop handling and of course, grip.
AG100 has much more responsive flex; AG300 is much stiffer than the TW spec would indicate, especially in the upper hoop. IMO flex felt more like 59-61 for the AG100 v 65-68 for the AG300.

Steve F.
08-18-2008, 04:23 AM
I feel stupid. In fact, i'm stupid.

Now i'm stuck with 3 AG 200s that i can't really sell because of cosmetic condition. Why the hell did the 100s come out a year later?

I might be able to take these off your hands. Send me an email via my user name on the left. ;)

hoodjem
08-18-2008, 05:47 AM
Hey hoodjem -
I've hit with demos of both, both strung at midtension with soft multi.
No real comparison here other than Dunlop handling and of course, grip.
AG100 has much more responsive flex; AG300 is much stiffer than the TW spec would indicate, especially in the upper hoop. IMO flex felt more like 59-61 for the AG100 v 65-68 for the AG300.

Steve, Thanks--good to know.

emmanuel
08-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Ok, I really love this stick.

I was using a PC600. Now I am playing with the AG100 and it is a awesome, terrific, great racquet!

So I've tried to get why the AG100 is so special.

Perhaps the aerogel technology (mmm, generally I don't buy the tech tale).

So I have made a more detailed inspection of my AG100 and PC600 and I found this. (Excuse me my poor english)

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/8783/dag1001ek6.jpg

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/3655/prstigeclassicrc8.jpg

Besides It seems the concept of the Vantage racquets is very similar to the AG100 design.

That sounds with sense, because an ex-Dunlop engineer has worked on Vantage compay, as a friend of mine told me.

jck01
08-18-2008, 08:55 PM
. . . So, for me, five grams of lead tape is the ticket. . .

I found 5 grams of lead did the trick for me as well. I don't think I can go heavier unless I start weightlifting.

YH8733
08-18-2008, 11:07 PM
I too used to play with the PC600. The Ag100 is honestly a better overall racket. More spin, a bit less comfort and softness, but maybe even more accurate. Perfect fit for the heavy topspin 1hbh. Just have some confidence with your bh and it actually might be more consistent than your fh. I've hit more winners off this thing than any other racket.

Steve F.
08-19-2008, 03:06 AM
Nice work emmanuel, esp. that measure on the throat. Explains a lot --

ATIRagePro
08-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Add me in, I bought two AG100's a couple days ago and just started playing with them this morning! Love the feel and spin from the racket. Put a TW Leather on it and a rubberband and it sure does the thing for me. Was using an AG200 before but I just couldn't get the amount of spin i wanted for some reason but I seem to have found the key with this one. Also, I actually like lighter rackets, but that's just me. Overall, VERY happy with my purchase :)

Miami Tiburon
08-19-2008, 11:04 AM
I feel so European now.My two main sticks will be the Aerogel 100 still numero uno in my bag,and the Euro version 200 which I will have in a couple of days.

bossass
08-20-2008, 08:34 AM
No more 4 3/8 on the TW store. Just removed all together. *Sigh* Will I ever play with a racket I don't have to scrounge and fight for in For Sale/Trade or fleabay?

emmanuel
08-20-2008, 09:27 AM
No more 4 3/8 on the TW store. Just removed all together. *Sigh* Will I ever play with a racket I don't have to scrounge and fight for in For Sale/Trade or fleabay?

What! :evil:

drak
08-20-2008, 09:30 AM

Same with another large internet retailer, they said they won't get more till late OCT. I wonder if there will be no more coming to U.S. and its discontinued? There are almost no 3/8's anywhere.

rosewall4ever
08-20-2008, 03:12 PM
One question I have about the AG100. It looks like a very fun frame but it has also a low static weight and swingweight. How does that translate into matters of stability?
I suppose many users lead it up. Where do they apply the lead in general and what is the final SW, balance and static weight after leading up?

This was one question posted at the start but hasn't been replied...Wondering myself since i'm behind the gun and have yet to try.

eproxy
08-20-2008, 11:01 PM
guys, i need some suggestions. I am due to receive my new ag100 in the next few days but I am unsure what tension or strings I should use. Should I go full poly or hybrid? Will the stick be just fine by itself of must I add lead tapes? I've been playing with POGs, dnx mid and ps85s which happens to be heavier. So should I lead it up to make it heavier?

BreakPoint
08-20-2008, 11:10 PM
guys, i need some suggestions. I am due to receive my new ag100 in the next few days but I am unsure what tension or strings I should use. Should I go full poly or hybrid? Will the stick be just fine by itself of must I add lead tapes? I've been playing with POGs, dnx mid and ps85s which happens to be heavier. So should I lead it up to make it heavier?
I would start by replacing the stock grip with a leather grip and then add lead as needed later.

emmanuel
08-21-2008, 05:20 AM
What kind of string and tension is better for AG100?

Keifers
08-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Because the AG100 is quite a bit lighter than the sticks you have been using, you'll probably end up adding weight to it. But why not try it first without any added weight -- just to get a feel for what that's like?

That's what I did and I was mightily impressed. My other racquets are 350-360 grams and at least 8 pts HL, but my stock 330 gram/7 pts HL AG100 played really, really well. The AG100 is just that special.

I've since added 6 grams of lead tape under the grip to improve blocking shots and dealing with heavy, spinny balls. But I doubt I'll end up weighting this racquet anywhere near my other ones. (Tried a tiny bit of lead at 3:00 and 9:00, but didn't like it, so took it off.)

What kind of string and tension is better for AG100?
Again, the AG100 is well worth experimenting with and fine tuning. People in this forum have reported being happy with tensions ranging from 44 lbs (poly/multi hybrid) to the low 60s (gut/poly hybrids, multis, polys). I'm guessing most are stringing in the 50-58 range.

I suggest you start with a string you know well at, say, 54-55-56 lbs. That'll give you a good baseline and you can fine tune from there.

I started with TNT2 Pro Plus 17L at 55 lbs and I've been happy with the results -- might go up or down 1 or 2 lbs next time. And probably use a string that plays well longer.

jack hoyer
08-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Demo'd the AG100 last week. The first few strokes didn't feel good. The swing weight felt too low. I put it back in my bag after 2-3 minutes as a "no", and went on to the next demo racquet. A friend urged me to give the AG100 a further try - and am I glad that he did! I played and practiced with it for a week , and I wound up loving it ! I have ordered 2 . They should arrive today.

Basically so far ( I realize it will take some months or even a year or so to develop a more solid or complete impression of the racquet) it seems to combine many of the positive features of my favorite racquets from the past. It has a lot of the beautiful 'swing path' characteristics of my Wilson Pro Tour 85 sq in racquets. It has a lot the beautiful feel on ball contact ( like cracking a hollow egg shell or something) of my Head Pro Tour 280s. It has a more square grip which I prefer. The frame is stiff enough, but it has a softer feel reminiscent of the old Michael Stitch Fischer 90 sq in frames. All in all a great old school racquet, yet slightly lighter , and more maneuverable. Regards to all, and I'm happy to have found this club, Jack

geesechops
08-22-2008, 09:27 AM
wow, you've been around for 4 years and your first post is here.

jack hoyer
08-22-2008, 10:17 AM
yeah, I researched some older frames on these boards back then, and did a few used racquet transactions, but i haven't been checking the forums much since. I am very glad to find thsi club - and this racquet! I have to say it tentatively in a whisper now, but this could be the one I've been looking for....shhh!

slice bh compliment
08-22-2008, 10:21 AM
This is a truly great racquet.
I have a pair, and I love them. The only negative I can mention is that the open pattern has me breaking strings more often thatn I normally do with an 18x20 pattern.

For me, it's between this stick and the Pure Storm Ltd. Finest frames I've played with since the Dunlop Max 200g.

geesechops
08-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Yeah great stick, but I think I'm going to end up with the MG Prestige Mid because I don't want to use a stick I can't even buy anymore. I have two 4 3/8's and you can't even find them anymore after only being around a few months in the states, and just forget about seeing 4 1/4. Dunlop just shot themselves in the foot with this one and hopefully they will wise up and bring another 90 like this to the states in October when the new line is supposed to come out. But, it's too late for me and I'm going with Head because I get them cheap and the Prestige will be around forever. I already played the 3bay game with the ProStaff 85's when they discontinued them. So **** off Wilson and Dunlop.

Killer-Angle
08-22-2008, 02:18 PM
AG100 is more or less powerful than the Head Microgel Prestige Mid?
Very important for me is the serve....serve&forehand!!

geesechops
08-22-2008, 02:52 PM
AG100 has more spring off the string bed, but the MG has much more plowthrough. It would depend on how you swing, too me power is relative. I actually have started serving bigger with the MG although kick serves are effortless with the AG100.

BreakPoint
08-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Yeah great stick, but I think I'm going to end up with the MG Prestige Mid because I don't want to use a stick I can't even buy anymore.But how long will the MG Prestige be around? It's been out for about a year already and Head usually replaces their line-up every two years.

Bud
08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
yeah, I researched some older frames on these boards back then, and did a few used racquet transactions, but i haven't been checking the forums much since. I am very glad to find thsi club - and this racquet! I have to say it tentatively in a whisper now, but this could be the one I've been looking for....shhh!

Your 'Holy Grail'?? :shock:

Bud
08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
This is a truly great racquet.
I have a pair, and I love them. The only negative I can mention is that the open pattern has me breaking strings more often thatn I normally do with an 18x20 pattern.

For me, it's between this stick and the Pure Storm Ltd. Finest frames I've played with since the Dunlop Max 200g.

String savers.

geesechops
08-22-2008, 06:04 PM
But how long will the MG Prestige be around? It's been out for about a year already and Head usually replaces their line-up every two years.

But, as long as they don't revert back to flex point so something stupid I think I will be o.k. I know the MG won't be around forever, but the Prestige Mid in some form will. As long as new model is an improvement like the Tour 90 series has been with Wilson. The Tour 90's and Prestige Mids don't get messed with too much being the flagship racquet's of each manufacture. But, will we see the AG100, KBlade Tour or Babo PSL in some form stick around for the long haul??? I just feel more comfortable with a stick that has some heritage and has gone through a few iterations to try and perfect its quality.

But, don't get me wrong none of this takes away from how nice the AG100 is. I'll keep my around because my brother loves them and I like how they play indoors, but I'm just a little disappointed in how Dunlop is being run.

certifiedjatt
08-22-2008, 06:42 PM
would anyone post pics of the racket under "normal" lighting. i want to see how wide the beam is and what not....please. kindly post a few pics...

geesechops
08-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Luckily for you I'm bored. Here is some comparison shots with no flash in **** poor lighting, but you get a good feel for comparison.

http://i34.tinypic.com/6t0pyc.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/eragwl.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/rcnc7s.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/24bvhjl.jpg

bad_call
08-22-2008, 07:17 PM
geesechops - thanks for posting the pics. nice to see the head shape comparisons.

Jack & Coke
08-22-2008, 07:51 PM
lemme guess.. 50mm f/1.8 ?

geesechops
08-22-2008, 07:53 PM
lol, pretty close. Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM @ iso 1600

Jack & Coke
08-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Nice! That's my fav lens.. I have a bunch, but that one is always on my camera. The color rendition, sharpness, and bokeh are awesome.

I was guessing the 50mm 1.8 MK II since it's much less expensive.. :)

geesechops
08-22-2008, 08:09 PM
True. My best lens ever was the Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM. That thing was flawless, but I sold it to buy more racquets and get the 50 f/1.4 instead. I'm much happier with the extra cash (about $800 more) and the smaller weight on my XTi body. It's not an L lens, but I can't complain with the performance and build quality for the price, it stays glued to my Xti. I had a 50mm f/1.8 MKI, which was nice for the money, but it buzzed way too much.

If racquet collecting is expensive, try getting hooked on SLR lenses, you'll be broke in no time!! :)

certifiedjatt
08-23-2008, 07:22 AM
True. My best lens ever was the Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM. That thing was flawless, but I sold it to buy more racquets and get the 50 f/1.4 instead. I'm much happier with the extra cash (about $800 more) and the smaller weight on my XTi body. It's not an L lens, but I can't complain with the performance and build quality for the price, it stays glued to my Xti. I had a 50mm f/1.8 MKI, which was nice for the money, but it buzzed way too much.

If racquet collecting is expensive, try getting hooked on SLR lenses, you'll be broke in no time!! :)

thanks for the pics!
my kid brother is obsessed with cameras. i bought him an "external flash"/whatever for $230. what the F!

jack hoyer
08-23-2008, 07:29 AM
Your 'Holy Grail'?? :shock:

We'll see. I'm hoping so of course.

Rabbit
08-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Wow, those pictures really point up the fact that there is little difference in head size between the Dunlop and the PS 85.

Welcome to the club, Jack. This is a great frame.

hoodjem
08-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Yep, 5 sq. in. in head size difference on a racquet is tiny. Same thing with a 90 versus a 95: you can barely see it.

jack hoyer
08-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Wow, those pictures really point up the fact that there is little difference in head size between the Dunlop and the PS 85.

Welcome to the club, Jack. This is a great frame.

Thanks a lot for the welcome. I appreciate it. I agree the photos are very clear and helpful. It occurs to me that I like the shape of the AG 100 's head, and head and throat areas better than that of the other racquets shown - even those of the Original Pro Staff .

Hidious
08-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Here are my early thoughts about the AG100 if anyone is interested:

My first two hits with the AG100 were almost orgasmic. Everything that had been said about this frame was true: the insane spin, the big sweet spot for a mid, the feel, the stability even with the light weight and, oh boy, the SERVES!!! Wow, bombs. Those 2 first times, i played a "semi-serious" game with one of my partners; we both agreed to play a game in order to try some racquets and strings so a lost or a bad set wasn't the end of the world. The AG100 was awesome.

But my two last hits weren't "experimental" games. They were serious games where the win meant everything to me (i hate losing). The AG100 was still great for spin, feel and serves but the higher level of play made me realize my directional control was very messed up. Directional control is my biggest strength and the off forehand my most dangerous shot; it wasn't anymore with the AG100. My off forehands weren't even close to the line, they were either close to the middle or way out. 2h backhands were even worst in terms of control. My beloved directional accuracy came back as soon as i took the AG200 out.

I highly suspect the 16x19 to be responsible for that as most people say 18x20 is better for control. However, i will probably never know; the lighter weight and the smaller head size too could be responsible too.

So i'm very confused right now; should i improve most parts of my game but weaken my biggest strength? Or the opposite? I'm thinking about using different frames (AG 100 or 200) depending on my opponent. For example, when playing a bad returner, i would use the 100 for those crazy serves.

Yep, 5 sq. in. in head size difference on a racquet is tiny. Same thing with a 90 versus a 95: you can barely see it.
I thought it was very noticeable. Even though the AG100 and 200 look very similar, most of my partners noticed one was smaller-headed then the other when i got them out of the bag together.

hoodjem
08-25-2008, 06:05 AM
I highly suspect the 16x19 to be responsible for that as most people say 18x20 is better for control. However, i will probably never know; the lighter weight and the smaller head size too could be responsible too.

If, as you say, the directional control came back when you went to an AG200, then, yes the 16 X 19 stringbed is to blame.

Did you get less spin with the AG200?

At the outset, I think you will have to choose: spin or control.

I made the switch from 18 X 20 to an AG100 for the pop and spin. My control is not quite there, but it has not disappeared altogether (maybe 90% is still there). I think it will come as I get more used to this new racquet.

Because I really love what I have gained with the AG100, I am willing to work on my technique to get back the lost 10% of control.

Rabbit
08-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Control seemed to be enhanced when I moved from the C10 to the AG100. I feel like I can put the ball anywhere, and without having an all-poly stringbed involved...

luv2volley
08-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Control seemed to be enhanced when I moved from the C10 to the AG100. I feel like I can put the ball anywhere, and without having an all-poly stringbed involved...

Since you mention poly, are you talking about spin control to keep the ball in or directional control for the painting the lines or corners for angle shots?

Steve F.
08-25-2008, 08:23 AM

Did you string your new frame with the same string and tension? This is Trying a New Frame 101. If you're using two different set-ups, it's comparing apples and oranges. ;)

Hidious
08-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Did you string your new frame with the same string and tension? This is Trying a New Frame 101. If you're using two different set-ups, it's comparing apples and oranges. ;)
I can't agree with that... Same string, yes, but same tension: impossible. While i love full poly at 60-62 lbs in the AG200, the AG100 is not playable with such a setup. And when i say "not playable" i really mean that you can't play tennis with that. Yes, i tried it and i was shocked by how what i had in my hands did not feel like a tennis racquet anymore, it felt more like a cement-coated 2x4. Wasted a set of strings...

Rabbit
08-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Since you mention poly, are you talking about spin control to keep the ball in or directional control for the painting the lines or corners for angle shots?

With the setup I have, gut/poly or a multi, I have great control over both spin and directional. The C10 with all-poly wasn't as spin friendly as this setup.

luv2volley
08-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks Rabbit.

Steve F.
08-25-2008, 11:42 PM
I can't agree with that... Same string, yes, but same tension: impossible. While i love full poly at 60-62 lbs in the AG200, the AG100 is not playable with such a setup. And when i say "not playable" i really mean that you can't play tennis with that. Yes, i tried it and i was shocked by how what i had in my hands did not feel like a tennis racquet anymore, it felt more like a cement-coated 2x4. Wasted a set of strings...

Impossible is nothing. :)
I'm not sure what you disagree with since it seems you did string it up with your usual set up. Maybe because you see it as a waste of string. I wouldn't see that as a waste. You have a reference point now that makes sense based on the set up you're most familiar. Dialing in a frame takes time and unfortunately a few string jobs and more $. But then if most people realized that, there wouldn't be so many racquets up for sale on the boards here. :cool:

Rabbit
08-26-2008, 05:41 AM
Thanks Rabbit.

No problem.

Automatix
08-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Guys look at this... this is a pic of the AG100 from a german store...
http://www.tw-gt.de/shop/images/product_images/popup_images/4790_0.jpg

And I'm not sure if it's a mistake or there's a different pj for the AG100...

It looks like the AG 700 but there's no Vibra core and the inner part of the throat is black instead of white... here's a pick of the AG 700 for comparison...

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/big/DAG700-1.JPG

Ohhh and on the so called AG 100 there's the "TOUR SPECIFICATION" sign on the hoop...

ls206
08-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Heya guys and girls,
I've noticed a fair few of you have hit with the ag200 also.
Could I ask for some advice?
I'm interested in replacing my Prince TT warrior - I like the open string pattern for spin/slice/kick but I'm wanting some more control.
Would I be better going for the ag100 for the string pattern but smaller frame/design for control or getting the ag200 with a denser string pattern?

Also, a number of you have mentioned how easy the midsize is to hit with - would I find it crazy going from 107sq.in. to 90??
I'm just getting back after a long break. But i'd say my level was around 3.5 with lvl 4 aspects

thanks for reading

jack hoyer
08-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Still new to my AG100s (I bought 2 about two weeks ago), but I have some questions, and a few thoughts. Any comments welcomed.

How's the AG 100 with Luxilon BB Original say strung around 55lbs? I'm
thinking the open string pattern will still allow bite on the ball even with the
thickish BB strings, and the typical BB assistance with control would be
helpful. The BB strings are also a bit heavier, I think (?),which would add a
little helpful mass without using lead.

The stock synthetic grip that came with my racquets ( which I'm liking
despite years of using leather grips with overwraps) doesn't have the
diamond shape holes that I've seen in the TW picture and elsewhere. Are
there 2 types of Hydromax Tour Grips? Anyhow, I think I'll try using the
Hydromax grip without an overgrip, and try using a Gamma Tacky Towel or
some such to try and extend its useful life to at least a month. I'm also
thinking to substitute a more flared generic butt cap for the Dunlop cap to help keep the racquet from slipping out of my hand.

Does anyone know if Dunlop is going to stop shipping AG100s to the U.S. soon? Why are the 4 3/8" grip racquets so scarce here? Is there a newer version of the AG100, or another Dunlop 90 sq in model coming out soon? If so can anyone describe it? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

octman12
08-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Does anyone know if Dunlop is going to stop shipping AG100s to the U.S. soon? Why are the 4 3/8" grip racquets so scarce here? Is there a newer version of the AG100, or another Dunlop 90 sq in model coming out soon? If so can anyone describe it? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

People were saying that there will be more shipment of the AG100 later this year like during December hopefully its true

from this thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=217039

Miami Tiburon
08-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Happy to say I now have 2 Aerogel 100.
I got a 4 1/4 my prefered size and a 4 3/8
I will probably shave it down a little.They are really hard to come by in the smaller grip sizes.I have been watching out for them like a hawk.

hoodjem
08-31-2008, 05:26 AM
I'm also looking for a 4 1/4. Where'd you find yours?

Miami Tiburon
08-31-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm also looking for a 4 1/4. Where'd you find yours?I got the 4 1/4 from one of the other online stores.I actually got a call from a rep since I wanted to demo one and he told me they were flying of the shelves. So he thought by the time I got the demo they would be gone.He gave me a great deal and told me they only had one in that grip size left.I jumped on it and Iam very happy I did they are selling for more used than I paid for a new one.I have no problem sanding down a 4 3/8 I did that with my Euro 200 Aerogel and it feels fine.I would love to buy 2 more if I can find them.

morten
09-01-2008, 01:06 AM
I got the 4 1/4 from one of the other online stores.I actually got a call from a rep since I wanted to demo one and he told me they were flying of the shelves. So he thought by the time I got the demo they would be gone.He gave me a great deal and told me they only had one in that grip size left.I jumped on it and Iam very happy I did they are selling for more used than I paid for a new one.I have no problem sanding down a 4 3/8 I did that with my Euro 200 Aerogel and it feels fine.I would love to buy 2 more if I can find them.

what sanding method do you use ? I find it really hard to get even :(

Miami Tiburon
09-01-2008, 04:39 AM
I use a semi coarse sandpaper by hand .I just draw lines with pencil all over the grip were Iam going to sand off not including the Beveling parts of course.When the sanding has erased the pencil marks I repeat as needed and then finish with a smooth sabdpaper at the end.I personally dont recommend it just easier to buy proper grip size.But it has worked for me in this case since its so hard to find a smaller grip in the 100.Also I'am only going from a 4 3/8 to A 4 1/4.Also remeber if you sand off too much of the grip the buttcap will feel too big almost like holding a baseball bat.

hoodjem
09-01-2008, 06:00 AM
I got the 4 1/4 from one of the other online stores.I actually got a call from a rep since I wanted to demo one and he told me they were flying of the shelves. So he thought by the time I got the demo they would be gone.He gave me a great deal and told me they only had one in that grip size left.

I guess I will have to do something similar. Can you write the name of that "other" store?

Miami Tiburon
09-01-2008, 09:13 AM
I guess I will have to do something similar. Can you write the name of that "other" store?TW does not allow that from what I hear.But I can tell you none of the online retailers have any of the small sizes only 4 1/2 and 4 5/8

sserrano803
09-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Can I join? Just got 2 AG 100. Best stick that I've played with.

Keifers
09-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Can I join? Just got 2 AG 100. Best stick that I've played with.
Hey congrats. A lot of us think the AG100 is very special.

Have you had enough playing time to tell us about the two string jobs you have? What differences do you notice between the two types of gut? Will you go higher or lower tension next time? Do you play mainly at the baseline or do you come to net a lot?

AT92292
09-07-2008, 12:30 PM
What rackets di u guys use before u started using the 100

jzief128
09-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Have either of you even hit with this racquet?

Yeah, check my sig....been hitting the AG100 for a while now.