PDA

View Full Version : Wilson could make a lot of money....But they aren't being smart

2nd_Serve
07-27-2008, 02:51 PM
So...Wilson right now, is charging a lot of money for their current sticks right now. But if they brought back their Pro Staff 85, and other wanted classic rackets, wouldn't they make more money than they are now?

K90 $199.00
PS85 $100.00

I bet The PS85 would win easy. WIlson should know that too. Why would they discontinue such a wanted racket?

slkbassist
07-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Actually Wilson is being very smart right now...just not really user friendly.

The PS85 and other wanted racquets (mostly in the Pro Staff lineage) are slowly fading out, as the last last stocks have by now been bought out. And despite trades and re-sales, eventually the style will die out as the racquets out there get dinged, damaged, or just collected as keepsakes.

So what are enthusiasts going to turn to? The closest thing, which in the case of PS85 is the K90. Wilson is essentially doubling it's profits this way. Plus they keep getting business anyways from people who want brand new sticks, with the newest technology, endorsed by the biggest star.

Wilson and other companies know also that while they will get the sale for the new racquets, they will also make money from the last "new" tech racquet they had. So to save money they just have to stockpile production or switch preferred production plants whenever a new line is being thought up.

This way they don't have to busy their plants by producing frames only a fraction of players may buy. They don't need to produce PSs because they know right now someone will end up buying a brand new $200 kfactor or a cheaper now "obsolete" ncode.

*Yet, don't count the PS to be a dead series. Old School cool may bring them back, but there will be a nice added story and nostalgia tag boosting the price to at least $120.

quest01
07-27-2008, 03:51 PM
I think the ps85 could make some decent money for Wilson but the only people that would buy this racquet are the people on this board. I do think it would be a good idea if Wilson decided to sell the ps85 to consumers but they would probably market them for at least $150 not $100 each.

The ps85 would be good racquet if your an advanced level player, probably a 5.0 player or higher.

ElectricTennis
07-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Or they could manufacture those racquets, but with a diffrent paint job, and name...

Il Mostro
07-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Retro-cool is not going to be a $$$ maker. That said, I sorely miss my PS85's with full gut set up. Can you believe I *gave* them away when I dropped out of tennis for a while? Che stronzo!

ElectricTennis
07-27-2008, 04:07 PM
From what I have seen *not much* most racquets are all variations on 1 model.

VGP
07-27-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm sure if you took a look at their bottom line, the PS85 quit making them money a long time ago.

spkyEngrish
07-27-2008, 08:26 PM
If small faced , demanding racquets like the ps85 were the be-all-end-all of racquet technology, and if retro chic was king, then a company like Babolat would not make a single dime selling such sticks as the Pure Drive.

The folks that worship the ps85s on this board represent a minority of the consumer $s that companies are fighting for.

Btw, the K90's success is, in most cases, a result of Federer and marketing.

BreakPoint
07-27-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm sure if you took a look at their bottom line, the PS85 quit making them money a long time ago.
Not true. Although the PS 6.0 85/95 were expensive to make, there have been zero marketing dollars invested in them for decades. So all the profits they make from them is essentially all gravy.

nCode747
07-27-2008, 09:11 PM
arent they relesing the sampras racquet near US open time...arent thoes specs similer to the PS 85

2nd_Serve
07-27-2008, 10:37 PM
arent they relesing the sampras racquet near US open time...arent thoes specs similer to the PS 85

I don't think so. It seems to be just a rumor. It may be true, it may not be.

jazar
07-27-2008, 10:47 PM
i would say wilson are being very smart atm. they have the largest and best range of rackets out of all the manufacturers and are still the market leaders in terms of product sold

0d1n
07-27-2008, 11:21 PM
i would say wilson are being very smart atm. they have the largest and best range of rackets out of all the manufacturers and are still the market leaders in terms of product sold

I would disagree with that one ...

Alafter
07-28-2008, 06:21 PM
So...Wilson right now, is charging a lot of money for their current sticks right now. But if they brought back their Pro Staff 85, and other wanted classic rackets, wouldn't they make more money than they are now?

K90 $199.00
PS85 $100.00

I bet The PS85 would win easy. WIlson should know that too. Why would they discontinue such a wanted racket?

"Who" wants it? That's just an assumption.

2nd_Serve
07-28-2008, 06:33 PM
"Who" wants it? That's just an assumption.

Yeah it is. But I think it's a pretty correct assumption no? I mean, a lot of people on this forum wants it, and I'm sure tons of other people not on this forum would want it also. But your right, it is just an assumption, and they may not make as much money. It was just a wild guess.

Flyingpanda
07-28-2008, 08:35 PM
I have a feeling that Wilson employs people just for marketing/advertising and bottom line economics who study whether or not to come out with new rackets and discontinue old ones. So whatever they're doing now is probably "smart".

Also, if you're basing what rackets Wilson should sell on the forums, then that's not really the way to go. Keep in mind the average customer is NOT a racket enthusiast.

jazar
07-28-2008, 10:47 PM
I would disagree with that one ...

who would you say has the best range then?

I don't think so. It seems to be just a rumor. It may be true, it may not be.

it isnt a rumour; they are releasing it. it will be an 88 square inch head

2nd_Serve
07-28-2008, 11:08 PM
who would you say has the best range then?

it isnt a rumour; they are releasing it. it will be an 88 square inch head

I know they're releasing the racket, but I meant that it was a rumor that it's going to be released during the US Open's time. Or was that siad somewhere?

And 88? Are you sure? I thought it was 90.

rockbox
07-28-2008, 11:21 PM
They should have just raised the price and change the paint color.

Alafter
07-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Yeah it is. But I think it's a pretty correct assumption no? I mean, a lot of people on this forum wants it, and I'm sure tons of other people not on this forum would want it also. But your right, it is just an assumption, and they may not make as much money. It was just a wild guess.

I think they would only produce the stick if someone sign an agreement with them to take all the produced prostaffs. I am sure someone could possibly aggregate and arrange demands from enough retail sources to make Wilson interested in producing another lot of prostaffs. But, apparently Wilson isnt willing to work that out, and neither are the retail stores.

Alafter
07-28-2008, 11:28 PM
They should have just raised the price and change the paint color.

Prince Vendetta DB HAHA.