PDA

View Full Version : Prince Power Levels Seem off to Anybody Else?

Zielmann
07-27-2008, 08:21 PM
I'll start by saying this: I realize that prince's power level rating is just to give a guideline as to how a racquet will play. Basically, they're just a way to compare racquets within the brand.

Today, I demoed the Prince O3 Hybrid tour and the Speedport tour. The Hybrid tour is listed with a PL of 775. The Speedport tour is listed at PL 875.
For comparison, my current frames are 700, 800, and 850. I hate the 850 (it's an oversize), and the 700 is my favorite of the three.

From the start, the Hybrid wasn't working for me. Too powerful and lively. Frankly, I couldn't keep the ball on the court, and felt like I couldn't get enough spin on the ball. And when I tried serving, everything was landing halfway between the service line and baseline.

I reluctantly picked up the speedport. Kinda figured that between the fact that I hate my frame that's rated 850 and that the 775 seemed too powerful, that there was no way I'd like the 875. But I found the opposite to be true. Spin was easy to create, as was power. But I could still place the ball right where I wanted it. Serves were awesome with it. I made 8/8 first serves I hit with it, and they were harder than what I hit with my normal frame. Pretty seriously considering buying this one now, even though I'm reluctant to spend $200 for a racquet.

So, what's your take on Prince's Power levels? From my three frames before, I kinda thought they were reliable to gauge the racquet, but not so much anymore. Just surprises me that in my search for something with more control, the frontrunner ends up being a frame that, according to the manufacturer, should have more power/less control than my current frames.

Cup8489
07-27-2008, 08:56 PM
I'll start by saying this: I realize that prince's power level rating is just to give a guideline as to how a racquet will play. Basically, they're just a way to compare racquets within the brand.

Today, I demoed the Prince O3 Hybrid tour and the Speedport tour. The Hybrid tour is listed with a PL of 775. The Speedport tour is listed at PL 875.
For comparison, my current frames are 700, 800, and 850. I hate the 850 (it's an oversize), and the 700 is my favorite of the three.

From the start, the Hybrid wasn't working for me. Too powerful and lively. Frankly, I couldn't keep the ball on the court, and felt like I couldn't get enough spin on the ball. And when I tried serving, everything was landing halfway between the service line and baseline.

I reluctantly picked up the speedport. Kinda figured that between the fact that I hate my frame that's rated 850 and that the 775 seemed too powerful, that there was no way I'd like the 875. But I found the opposite to be true. Spin was easy to create, as was power. But I could still place the ball right where I wanted it. Serves were awesome with it. I made 8/8 first serves I hit with it, and they were harder than what I hit with my normal frame. Pretty seriously considering buying this one now, even though I'm reluctant to spend $200 for a racquet.

So, what's your take on Prince's Power levels? From my three frames before, I kinda thought they were reliable to gauge the racquet, but not so much anymore. Just surprises me that in my search for something with more control, the frontrunner ends up being a frame that, according to the manufacturer, should have more power/less control than my current frames.

it's possible that the higher swingweight of the hybrid tour slowed down your batspeed enough that you were not able to drive through the ball properly, sending your shots long with little spin. the power levels are based on the same swingspeed and power of the player, and with these being equal, you'll get slightly more pop from the speedport.

i've played both of these sticks myself, and while the speedport was noticeably more powerful, it also seemed more flexible, and definitely produced more spin than the hybrid tour.

i've found the power levels to be accurate for me, based on having a 625, 750, and 800 level racquets. i also tried the 925 hybrid hornet MP, and it was the most powerful of my princes, and my princes are arranged power-wise just as the numbers indicate for me.

Zielmann
07-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Good point about the SW. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't like the hybrid more. Not sure about the different head shape, either.

They need to come up with some measure of power that's either experimentally or mathematically based, where the number actually tells you something about the frame. Could then be used to compare the power levels of racquets from different brands. Would have to assume either same swing speed or same amount of force to swing, though. There never will be something completely accurate for measuring this though, as it will vary from person to person.

atomicx
07-29-2008, 06:08 AM
I hit with an O3 Orange once that had a power level of 1300. I could only generate a little over half of the pace on both groundstrokes and serves that I get with my O3 Tour MS thats rated at 750 power. The O3 orange was way too lite for me to be able to get any pace. I'm not sure what exactly those power rating numbers are supposed to mean, but they seam pretty insignificant to me.

In D Zone
07-29-2008, 01:26 PM
I have the Hybrid Tour 95 - frame is definitely stiff. I strung my with Hybrid - Babolat Pro Hurricane on Main and Prince SYn on Cross
I enjoy playing the Hybrid Tour - although it has a 95 head size it felt more like a mid size racquet.

El Diablo
07-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Prince claims in its literature that the ratings are calculated based on weight, head size, and stiffness. By this reasoning, the POG OS should have a much higher power rating than the Hybrid Comp, as both have a roughly 63 stiffness rating but the POG has a bigger head size and more weight. Yet they rate the POG 700 and the Comp something like 925. No clear rationale to it.

backhand
07-30-2008, 04:40 PM
I recently demoed the Ozone Tour, Pro Tour, SP Tour, White. Given that my new strokes are in development, so probably influenced by forgiveness, I'd agree that the Prince ratings are weird. I'd rate them like this: White 1100, SPT 950, OPT 900, OT 850. Meaning that I find ALL recent Prince racquets far more powerful than they're rated either by TW or Prince, and my hitting partner agrees. Also find the OPT noticably more powerful than the OT; Prince says they're both 800. Go figure.

Also found the SPT was different feeling than the Ozones, less plush, crisper. Would buy it except that unsure what I'll really want in another few months, and it felt a touch blocky to me. Wish I could find a Prince that was as mobile and thin beamed as the Ozones, but crisper. Maybe the rumored SP Diablo...

Zielmann
07-30-2008, 07:15 PM
I so hope they come out with a SP diablo... I'd probably get that one for sure. Would love to see something a little heavier with a smaller headsize from prince again.

I loved the sp tour, but fear that it might still be a bit too high-powered for me. It's fine, but if don't get enough topspin, it's easy to have the ball sail on you. And if I decide to go with a $200 frame, I'll be demoing some other brands, as well before making a decision.

tlm
09-27-2008, 09:56 AM
I cant understand anyone thinking the sp tour is powerful. If anything it is low powered, the power rating for it is way to high. The black is only rated a little higher than the tour+ it is a rocket launcher, not even close to the control the sp tour has.

I have heard a lot of people say that the sp tour is high powered. I have no idea how they can think that. Maybe because i hit with a lot of ts it gives me great control. But i have to take big cuts or the ball will have nothing on it.

I have been using the k95 + i get less control out of it over the sp tour. But as far as prince power ratings go i would say that a lot of them are way off.

pfchang
09-27-2008, 11:46 AM
I cant understand anyone thinking the sp tour is powerful. If anything it is low powered, the power rating for it is way to high. The black is only rated a little higher than the tour+ it is a rocket launcher, not even close to the control the sp tour has.

I have heard a lot of people say that the sp tour is high powered. I have no idea how they can think that. Maybe because i hit with a lot of ts it gives me great control. But i have to take big cuts or the ball will have nothing on it.

I have been using the k95 + i get less control out of it over the sp tour. But as far as prince power ratings go i would say that a lot of them are way off.

first off, depending on what stick you are comparing with it, you will see diffs in control/power. i was a former SPT user, and agreeing with the OP, spin is awesome as well as forgiveness. but comparing it with my current stick, the Kblade Tour, i find it to be much more powerful and a little bit more erratic. although it is a tour stick, i find that the 16x18 pattern does take away a bit of the precision and also the stick itself still seems on the more powerful side of tour sticks for me.

just my $.02.

tlm
09-27-2008, 02:19 PM
I have been using a k95 16x18, i think the sp tour has more control than the k95. Maybe it is because i get much more spin with the sp compared to the k95.

I know one thing for sure i dont miss the stiffness of the wilson, the prince does feel a little mushy sometimes. But it isnt so hard on the body like the wilson.

Conquistador
09-27-2008, 04:13 PM
First off Prince racquets are more powerful than what they are said to be....Prince racquets seem to have more pop than any other racquet--if you've ever hit an 03 compared to a wilson nano carbon tour--you will realize this

region2champion
09-27-2008, 04:47 PM
princes are freakin trampolines

tlm
09-27-2008, 05:09 PM
The speedport black is a trampoline+maybe some of the other models, but the sp tour is not.

Zielmann
09-27-2008, 07:46 PM
I would probably buy the SPT right now if they had an 18x20 version of it. That would probably subdue it just enough to make it perfect. I wouldn't mind the dense pattern, cause I can create enough topspin that it's not an issue. By now, it won't be until next summer that I can try some stuff out again, so we'll see what new comes out by then (speedport-like Graphite???)

Charlie_Boy
09-27-2008, 08:13 PM
I don't like any of the Prince frames much, wayyyyy too light.

I did demo the mid plus 03 and the oversize. Can honestly say they generate no power, lol.

tlm
09-28-2008, 03:17 AM
Would you consider 12.1 ounce way to light? That is what my sp tour weighs.

Zielmann
09-28-2008, 06:37 AM
Would you consider 12.1 ounce way to light? That is what my sp tour weighs.

I don't think it's too light at all. I love the weight of it.

But the open string pattern and the speedports seem to make it a little too bouncy for my taste. Perhaps it was just the tension of the demo racquet or something. I'm used to stringing at higher tensions (62-63lbs), and i'm sure the demo was nowhere near that. Anybody have experience with a speedport tour at higher tensions?