PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated tennis shoes DO matter

lidation
07-28-2008, 05:24 AM
I usually wear my Barricade V tennis shoes when I play tennis. But last Thursday I forgot to bring my tennis shoes so I just wear my jogging sneakers. It plays fine until I twisted my right foot ankle. :( Now I can't play tennis or engage in any kind of foot sports for a while. This is the first time I have ever twisted my ankle for my past year and half of tennis playing.

So next time, if you forget your tennis shoes, go home and get them. Tennis shoes are a must just like your racquets. Doesn't worth the hassle of hurting your feet.

bertrevert
07-28-2008, 05:44 AM
Only time I wore running shoes at tennis I ended up turning back my big toenail. It thus went black and dropped off in the following month. The toe box is far too big in a runnign shoe for tennis. Fore-warned is fore-armed...

Having said that I have seen some hard nuts who like to wear a type of hiking boot on the artificial grass courts we play on... they lok heavy and grippy, just don't understand it.

Tombhoneb
07-31-2008, 08:52 AM
I forgot my barricade 3's one time, so i decided to wear some Vans.. Not a good idea !! Was playing for 5 minutes and i got 3 holes in them and my ankle started feeling a bit weak.

But it gets worse... played in my socks next ... lets just say i didn't have and socks left wen i got off court !!

Never forgot my tennis shoes since !!

River Hill
07-31-2008, 09:59 AM
Cross Training shoes will work, but I think that is the limit.

bluetrain4
07-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Running shoes are really dangerous on a tennis court. The lateral support is much less and your foot sits cupped in the shoe, rather than on a flatter trajectory as in tennis. Play long enough and the chance of rolling over on your ankle, or worse, is pretty high.

Basketball shoes, though far from perfect, would be much better due to the similar lateral support due to movement on the basketball court being quite similar to tennis.