PDA

View Full Version : How stiff does RDS 001 MP play?

Syfo-Dias
07-28-2008, 09:16 AM
I've seen that TW lists the flex on this racquet as 68, but I've also seen it listed as 65 on other sites. I know the RDC rating isn't always a perfect indicator of how stiff a racquet actually plays in real life. I'd like to hear feedback from anybody who uses the 001 MP in regards to how stiff it is. Is it reasonably comfortable on the arm?

the wise wizard
07-28-2008, 09:22 AM
have you ever played with a nsix-one or ksix-one 95, because i think plays somewhere between those maybe closer to the ksix-one

SFrazeur
07-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Some ramblings:

It is low powered, stiff feeling racquet. The stiffness is closer to the K6.1 95s thanthe n6.1 95s. It feels stiffer than the RDS 002 Tour and RDS 001 MID. I did not find the RDS 001 MP to be uncomfortable. It's not a cushioned dream, but not harsh.

Compared to the RDX 500 MID it will feel like a steel rod at first. Play wise I thought the 001MP played more like a Midsize. The RDX/RDS MP beam is thinner at the neck and throat and than in the RDX/RDS midsize molds. I thought the sweetspot was smaller on it than the RDX/RDS MIDS.

I've played with the RDX 500 MID, RDS 001 MID, RDS 002 TOUR, RDS 001MP, RDS 003. If there is anything I can ramble about that might be of benefit then I'd be happy yo try and help.

Oh and VOTE MEG!!! http://photocontest.freedom.com/cwalbany/top-model/profile.php?itemid=86

-SF

Syfo-Dias
07-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Some ramblings:

It is low powered, stiff feeling racquet. The stiffness is closer to the K6.1 95s thanthe n6.1 95s. It feels stiffer than the RDS 002 Tour and RDS 001 MID. I did not find the RDS 001 MP to be uncomfortable. It's not a cushioned dream, but not harsh.

Compared to the RDX 500 MID it will feel like a steel rod at first. Play wise I thought the 001MP played more like a Midsize. The RDX/RDS MP beam is thinner at the neck and throat and than in the RDX/RDS midsize molds. I thought the sweetspot was smaller on it than the RDX/RDS MIDS.

I've played with the RDX 500 MID, RDS 001 MID, RDS 002 TOUR, RDS 001MP, RDS 003. If there is anything I can ramble about that might be of benefit then I'd be happy yo try and help.

Oh and VOTE MEG!!! http://photocontest.freedom.com/cwalbany/top-model/profile.php?itemid=86

-SF

I'm not really sure I understand how it could be low powered. With a static weight of 11.8 oz. strung and high stiffness, it seems like it would be pretty powerful even with a 18-21mm beam. Is it noticeably more powerful than the RDX Mid?

GasquetGOAT
07-28-2008, 12:06 PM
The RDX/RDS MP beam is thinner at the neck and throat and than in the RDX/RDS midsize molds. I thought the sweetspot was smaller on it than the RDX/RDS MIDS
Why is that so? Can you elaborate?

uabucks
07-28-2008, 12:10 PM
I do not find the rds001mp to be stiff--
it is very responsive and comfortable--
needs a comfortable string though. Hits
comfortably w/ head fxp, wilson nxt, and isospeed control hybrid w/ yonex 850.
It plays softer than an rdx500mp I have that has a poly hybrid in it----yes, strings matter that much.

Bubba
07-28-2008, 12:11 PM
More stiff than the RDX-500 you are using.
The TW RA rating is an average of a sample set.

MaOira
07-28-2008, 12:14 PM
I just recently purchased the 2008 RDS001MP. I came from using a 63 RA Vantage... so at first the RDS did seem stiff. I demoed it along with the RDS 002 tour and it seemed a lil stiffer than the 002. But not by much. At first i started to feel some arm pain (strings are strung at 58 lbs using hybrid multi main syn cross). But my last outting with it, i felt no such pain... so i guess it was just a matter of my body getting used to the stiffness of it. I do agree its pretty close to the k6.1 stiffness.. but is a lil more cushioned feel to it. its stiff, but not harsh like others have said. just gotta get adjusted to it.

mitsuki
07-28-2008, 09:11 PM
I play with the 2008 rds 001 mp and it does not feel as stiff as it's listed. Prior to this, I played with the mg extreme pro and compared to that, the rds is fairly flexible. It is very comfortable to hit with and the flex gives it great feel and control.

0d1n
07-28-2008, 11:53 PM
It is stiff feeling but not uncomfortable. I played with it a few times strung with full Cyberflash (a stiff-ish string) and had no problems.
I do agree though that it's better to string it with a soft string (I also tried it with full PSGM).

Edit
A comparable experience would be the Flexpoint prestige MP (if that helps). The frame on that racket might be slightly more flexible than the RDS but the string pattern is a bit more dense which makes the string bed and hitting experience similar (in stiffness).

nikosrf
07-29-2008, 12:37 AM
I play with the old model 001MP, 002T UL, RDX500MP.
The 001MP plays stiffer than the others BUT it's not uncomfortable and it is very maneuverable. I strung it with synthetic gut at 24 Kg and i found the power, less than 002T, but more controlable. You can hit with more pace and not fear if the ball goes to fence.
I haven't decided yet though, if i like 001MP or 002T UL more, so i get back and forth with those raquets in my games.

Syfo-Dias
08-03-2008, 09:21 PM
I finally got a chance to hit with this racquet for a couple of hours today. I definitely felt the stiffness, but it didn't feel harsh. What surprised me the most was that it wasn't as powerful as I expected it to be. Given its stiffness and weight, I figured it would be quite a bit more powerful than what I experienced. It also felt noticeably less maneuverable than my RDX Mid and didn't volley as well either. Seems like more of a baseliner's racquet to me.

tennis_hand
08-03-2008, 09:56 PM
I just recently purchased the 2008 RDS001MP. I came from using a 63 RA Vantage... so at first the RDS did seem stiff. I demoed it along with the RDS 002 tour and it seemed a lil stiffer than the 002. But not by much. At first i started to feel some arm pain (strings are strung at 58 lbs using hybrid multi main syn cross). But my last outting with it, i felt no such pain... so i guess it was just a matter of my body getting used to the stiffness of it. I do agree its pretty close to the k6.1 stiffness.. but is a lil more cushioned feel to it. its stiff, but not harsh like others have said. just gotta get adjusted to it.

i don't know how to measure.
at 58lbs with multi and syn gut, if you feel pain and not ur skill problem, then it is considered stiff.

I tried my new PST yesterday the first time at 58lbs with Sensation multi. It is very comfortable.