PDA

View Full Version : M-Fil Dunlop?

degreefanlindi
01-27-2005, 06:44 AM
I am reading the March issue of Tennis Magazine (love the new layout of the cover btw) and there is an ad for the new M-Fil Dunlop racquet coming in February. It's very stylish looking...but I know Dunlop is not known for its quality racquets...just a reputation for being a recreational players' deal. But I admit I like the blue and white look and it appears to be a comfort fit on the website. Anyone plan on spending money on this or know any more about it? Thanks....

Craig Sheppard
01-27-2005, 07:21 AM
Um, are you talking about the ones already available for Pre-Order on TW? There's already been discussino of them in the Racquets section.

BreakPoint
01-27-2005, 10:23 AM
...but I know Dunlop is not known for its quality racquets...just a reputation for being a recreational players' deal.

Where in the world did you get that impression? Do you know how many Grand Slams John McEnroe, Steffi Graf, Rod Laver, and many, many other pros have won using Dunlop racquets?

I view Dunlop as a quality tennis products company (we'll see what happens in the future now that they are owned by new owners). They still make the best tennis balls around.

degreefanlindi
01-27-2005, 12:57 PM
I know the Dunlop tennis balls are frequently used and quite popular. I have always just been under the impression that the Dunlop name is very generic...always carried in the chain sporting goods stores. But I guess the same is true for Wilson, Prince, etc. and some of their models. There aren't too many tour players who use the Dunlop models these days though.

I will check over in the racquet section for critiques on the new Dunlop, thanks. I didn't realize TW was already selling them.

Craig Sheppard
01-27-2005, 01:09 PM
There aren't too many tour players who use the Dunlop models these days though.

Sure... no top players like Tommy Haas, James Blake, Alicia Molik, Thomas Johansson, Amilie Mauresmo, Mardy Fish, Sjeng Schalken, and Tommy Robredo I'm sure wouldn't ever think about using Dunlop racquets.

Don't know where you're getting your ideas about Dunlop but I'd get another source... don't be playa hatin' on Dunlop my man, they're one of the originals and still one of the best.

david aames
01-27-2005, 04:01 PM
The players you listed very likely play with everything but a Dunlop mold under the paint.

Sure... no top players like Tommy Haas, James Blake, Alicia Molik, Thomas Johansson, Amilie Mauresmo, Mardy Fish, Sjeng Schalken, and Tommy Robredo I'm sure wouldn't ever think about using Dunlop racquets.

Don't know where you're getting your ideas about Dunlop but I'd get another source... don't be playa hatin' on Dunlop my man, they're one of the originals and still one of the best.

Craig Sheppard
01-27-2005, 04:42 PM
The players you listed very likely play with everything but a Dunlop mold under the paint.

You could say that about a majority of top players... doesn't negate the point one bit.

paddyslad
01-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Now sponsored by Dunlop. I dig the new dunlop script writing. The Dunlop needed a new look. The apparel is cool.

david aames
01-27-2005, 05:20 PM
No, most players endorsing Head or Wilson are playing with a Head or Wilson mold under the paint. Same goes with Babolat, Yonex etc.

Dunlop on the other hand has a track record of painting other manufacturers' racquets (Henman, Fish, Rusedski, Haas, Blake are certainly NOT playing with Dunlop molds)

You could say that about a majority of top players... doesn't negate the point one bit.

Bhagi Katbamna
01-27-2005, 06:33 PM
I guarantee that any pro would be able to beat any amatuer with a real dunlop racket. So obviously, the fault lies in ourselves and not in our stars(to paraphrase Shakespeare).

Ronaldo
01-28-2005, 04:24 AM
Anyone recall Safin's history with Dunlop? The PJs, PCs, and 30 broken racquets in a parking lot?

degreefanlindi
01-28-2005, 05:04 AM
I think Dunlop has great apparel and gear...just not into the racquets.

Steve Huff
01-28-2005, 06:00 AM
Not too many years back, all 4 men in the semi's of one of the Slams was using a Dunlop (1 was a Head, but rumored to be a Dunlop under the paint).

YEMntFtb
01-28-2005, 03:15 PM
There is nothing wrong with dunlop at all. Dunlop makes a sick racquet, the 200G is a lot like the Head that Safin uses.

I use the 200G and I am a ranked junior player, going to play in college next year.

I'm sure Haas uses a dunlop, just not what people call the 200G. Fish, Blake, they definitly use the dunlop, others well maybe they do paint it on, but look closesly, you'll be supprised.

Also, I see atlest one to two juniors a tournament using the 300G. There product sells and it definitly not a poor choice. Demo the racquet before you say its bad.

Whats the story with Safin and his dunlop?

david aames
01-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Blake is using a Tyger mold painted to look like a Dunlop. Fish is using the Wilson ProStaff 6.1 mold painted to look like a Dunlop. Haas is very unlikely using a Dunlop mold but if he does it's nothing like the MW200 or HM200.

I'm sure Haas uses a dunlop, just not what people call the 200G. Fish, Blake, they definitly use the dunlop, others well maybe they do paint it on, but look closesly, you'll be supprised.

Ronaldo
01-28-2005, 05:22 PM
http://www.safinator.com/art_dunlop_01.html Supposedly demoed the Dunlop MW 200 and was so unhappy, took all out to a parking lot and sacrificed them to the gods of tennis. Then played with his Head PC painted to look like a Dunlop until Head threatened to sue.

pchoi04
01-28-2005, 08:08 PM
The new racquets look like candy... lol... but I think the 200g looks pretty cool but im not down with the 300g... But I still like the black 200g

tkoets
01-29-2005, 06:53 AM
They might look like candy, but if you take those hideous grips off and replace them with black ones, they could end up looking pretty sharp. Hard to tell from the pics, but the 300 M-Fill seems to bear a strong resemblance to the Head LM Prestige if you ignore the grip colors.

Type40
01-30-2005, 02:05 PM
I thought you had one of Haas's racquets, have you put it along side a standard MW 200g to compare?