PDA

View Full Version : New racket with pop and topspin

MCN
07-29-2008, 05:46 AM
I've been using heavier frames for many years but am finding it harder to play with these as I get older. I currently use Yonex RDS002 Tour and quite like its heft but get tired with this and start to mis-time the ball. I tried a Yonex RDS003 and loved the whip I could get from mid-court - massive topspin and angles, but couldn't block well or volley with this - felt too light. But I did hit many more outright winners with this than my 002Tour, but also more errors on volleys. Is there something in between the 003 and 002Tour that would give me some pop and topspin and be easy to swing but with that stability that I'm after? Is it worth demoing the Dunlop 500G Tour or the Head Microgel Extreme? I've also tried the Prince O3Tour but found this a bit 'mushy'. I play with a lot of top, 1HBH, am quite consistent from all areas of court and mixture of singles & doubles.

coolblue123
07-29-2008, 05:52 AM
Hi MCN:
Maybe the RDS001 Mid+ seems like a good combo from your description. I havne't played with the 002 but having playtested the RDS001 +, i can say the RDS003 (my current racquet) has more power than the 001. Also, 001 has more touch and feel. (probably cuz of the smaller head size and a tad shorter (.25 in.) )

I was going to say try the RQis 1 but I felt the RQis1 has more of a muted feel and about the same power level as the 002.

Good luck and tell us what you decided on.

counterpuncher
07-29-2008, 04:30 PM
This sounds like exactly the path I am on. I played with the RDS001mp, then the RQiS1, then the RDS002 Tour SL and now RDS002 tour UL with 6 grams of lead tape at 3 and 9 which is an okay compromise. I too found the RDS003 too light and unstable. I also tried the O3 tour and found it too mushy with no gain in power.

One racquet that I have found that seems to have cured the weight/power balance for me is the K95. Mine weighs in at 342 grams stock with a swingweight around the low 320's, which is way off the TW specs but pretty much in my preferred range. The PST was also good but I never felt quite comfortable with it. The other I liked was the Fischer Mag Tour UL spec which was a little more stable than the RDS003 but still a little on the light side, although lead tape did help.

Apart from the 500 Tour and Extreme Pro (racquets I've considered myself) I would advise to look to also the Prince Black and APDC. I'll be keen to here about how you fair with your racquet search.

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-29-2008, 05:13 PM
I've been using heavier frames for many years but am finding it harder to play with these as I get older. I currently use Yonex RDS002 Tour and quite like its heft but get tired with this and start to mis-time the ball. I tried a Yonex RDS003 and loved the whip I could get from mid-court - massive topspin and angles, but couldn't block well or volley with this - felt too light. But I did hit many more outright winners with this than my 002Tour, but also more errors on volleys. Is there something in between the 003 and 002Tour that would give me some pop and topspin and be easy to swing but with that stability that I'm after? Is it worth demoing the Dunlop 500G Tour or the Head Microgel Extreme? I've also tried the Prince O3Tour but found this a bit 'mushy'. I play with a lot of top, 1HBH, am quite consistent from all areas of court and mixture of singles & doubles.

RDS001 MP and RDS002MP are both withing the specs you are searching for, but you will find some loss of stability as compared to your 002 Tour frame because of the lower weight.

You may find that, in general, lighter frames sacrifice stability. You mention that you couldn't block back shots as well with a lighter frame as you could with the heavier one. That is the norm.

How old are you?

2nd_Serve
07-29-2008, 06:57 PM
RDS 001 Mid+. I think the AeroPro matches quite well too.

MCN
07-30-2008, 02:40 AM
Thanks for your comments, guys. I'm mid-50s now, suffer from TE but play through the pain and run out of steam in the 3rd set! Just to recap, I loved the Yonex003 on mid-court balls and could put away lots of shots with huge topspin (I liked that a lot!) - serves were pretty good as well as were topspin lobs and even some passing shots on the run. Problems were against bigger hitters - blocking balls back when stretched, handling a heavy volley etc... Maybe I'm so used to playing with a heavy racket to block balls that I simply need to play more with 003 (or similar) and adjust all these weak shots. I'll be trying a head microgel extreme next (then the Dunlop 500 Tour) and will post my findings here.

nikosrf
07-30-2008, 04:21 AM
This sounds like exactly the path I am on. I played with the RDS001mp, then the RQiS1, then the RDS002 Tour SL and now RDS002 tour UL with 6 grams of lead tape at 3 and 9 which is an okay compromise.

WOW..exactly the same path as mine! (except of the leadtape).
I am now getting back and forth from RDS002T UL to RDS001MP.

MCN Try RDS002Tour UL or RDS002. RDS001MP is a good choise too, but it is alittle bit stiffer and that's not good for your TE problem.

coolblue123
07-30-2008, 04:25 AM
I've been playtesting the Bab APDC. I am considering replacing it with my RDS003. The racquet feels alittle more heavier and gives great topspin. But I felt I lost some feel with the APDC.

nikosrf
07-30-2008, 04:38 AM
I had the APD (non cortex). Was easy, great spin, but a little bit harsh for my hand (stiff) and i disliked the feeling of an empty tube..

MCN
08-01-2008, 05:45 AM
OK - had a quick hit with a Head Microgel Extreme yesterday (in the pouring rain!) and in some respects it felt similar to the Yonex 003 that I liked on groundstrokes - same sort of 'pop' and ability to hit with good topspin. It felt a little harsh though and again, volleys against a big hitter tended to land short (compared to the Yonex 002 Tour where it's easier to block or put the ball away). Soooo.... the weight and feel of the Yonex 003 and the Head Mgel Extreme ar beginning to get there for the type of racket I need but.... what other sticks are there that feel similar BUT have more stability and 'put away factor' for volleys (without sacrificing the 'whippy' topspin ability)? Is it worth demoing the Dunlop 500 Tour?

Il Mostro
08-01-2008, 08:06 AM
I've been playtesting the Bab APDC. I am considering replacing it with my RDS003. The racquet feels alittle more heavier and gives great topspin. But I felt I lost some feel with the APDC.

Feel is not the APDC's strongest point, but it does play pretty good at the net and you'll find you can hit the same "touch" shots once you get used to the muted feel that the Cortex delivers (and the visual of a big looking stick). It is definitely different. This is the most arm-friendly of my racquets and also the most stable. I've been playing the T Flash recently and really like just about everything about it -- if it only had APDC's rock-solid return of serve it would be perfect for me.

abrahavt
08-01-2008, 09:07 AM
I have a sensitive elbow, like top spin and rackets in the 11.8 wt range. The ones I recommend are the RDS 002 T-UL, Dunlop AG200 16x19, APDC.

rayallen333
08-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Can someone give a quick comparison between these racquets: Microgel Extreme Pro, APDC, 002 UL, 001 MP, 003.
Thanks

fuzz nation
08-02-2008, 02:01 PM
MCN - you might want to consider trying the latest version of the Volkl C10 Pro. I loved the RDS 002 Tour up at net, but had to work it harder than I expected to get good spin out of it. The Volkl seems to have a lot of spin and pop on tap and the ones I've played feel softer than the Yonex 002's I had. Rumor has it that the latest version of the C10 is slightly lighter than the older ones, too. My bet is that you'll thrive up at net with a somewhat hefty, yet headlight frame. Without some weight, I find that the stability that I really like up at net just evaporates.

Yonex Dude
08-02-2008, 02:43 PM
The RDS 002 non tour sounds like exactly like what your looking for. Its more stable on volleys than the 003. and play very similar to it in other aspects.

MCN
08-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks again - I had a brief hit with the Yonex 002 (non Tour) some time ago and remember it was pretty good - but I didn't play long enough with it to make a proper judgement. Also, did play a little with the Volkl C10 pro many years ago and absolutely loved its feel and flex but felt I needed something with more pop for a someone's who's getting weaker and lazier like me (gee - I hate getting old ... both my sons are now trashing me too easily for my liking!). I'm not sure if I can get the new C10 where I am but I'll certainsly give the 002 non Tour a try again. I'm also awaiting a demo Head 500 Tour so will let you guys know how I get on with these.

MCN
08-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Oops - not Head 500 Tour - meant Dunlop.

MCN
08-06-2008, 02:04 AM
OK - have now played a bit more with the Head Microgel Extreme and also tried the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick. The Extreme was very light to swing and I got lots of topspin but it felt quite harsh and stiff. Hit some spectacular winners but also some spectacular misses! I couldn't get penetrating volleys though and had to take a bit of a cut at the ball to do so. The PD Roddick felt much head-heavier and more cumbersome to swing. Got very good penetration on groundies from back of the court and it was much easier to block the ball back against heavy serves and volleys. But I was not able to put away mid-court balls as easily as with the Extreme (couldn't generate enough head speed to create the same sort of whip). I'm veering towards the heavier rackets again as I think I just can't do without the stability these offer - but are there any heavier rackets' (non-tweeners) that are slightly lighter to swing with reasonable power and access to top spin. I'm getting really stuck now.

0d1n
08-06-2008, 02:54 AM
If you don't like the Babolats (Aero Pro and Pure Drive) and prefer a much more stable feel and slightly less power I would try a Vantage 100.
I have a 310 grams unstrung 315 mm balance one (63 flex...but you can try the stiffer one as well for more power) and even at that weight it was very stable.
Beware of the fact that it's string pattern is very very open, and while being great for topspin I had some directional control issues with it when using soft elastic strings (which you would require given your TE problems).
Keep in mind though that I am 28 and swing quite hard so you might not have these issues.
Hope this helps

origmarm
08-06-2008, 03:21 AM
I'm not sure if this will be a huge help but I had a similar thing with the RDS003, there were some things I loved about it and others I hated. The 003 plays MUCH better with about 3-4g of lead at 3&9 and about 3-4 again just above the handle around the throat. It adds that weight and stability without sacrificing too much of the whip and angle generation. Return of serve was where I noticed it the most.

I now play with a Vantage and would suggest it is you know what specs you want. An RDS001 is also a good compromise as is an RDS002 UL with added lead and in fact for you this may be a better fit.

I also liked the Head Instinct line and the Radical Pro though this was again on the heavier end

mawashi
08-06-2008, 05:45 AM
Hi MCN (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=5424),

I'm kidda curious as to why you chose to demo some really stiff rackets like the Head Microgel Extreme (RA68) and the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick (RA71) when you have te?

I too had the beginings of te (due to bad technique) I've gotten some coaching, switched from a 1hbh to a 2hbh which really helped a lot.

Back to the issue, why not consider rackets with these specs?

Stiffness rating of 58-65
Low to medium power
Total weight of up to 11.8 oz
Swing weight of up to 325g
And look for softer stings or natural gut and string it at lower end of the rackets specs.

mawashi
________
spanish girl Webcams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/latin-girls/)

cakes
08-06-2008, 06:01 AM
Going along with what mawashi suggested, sounds like the ProKennex Ionic Ki 5 might be the kind of thing you are looking for.

mawashi
08-06-2008, 06:54 AM
MCN (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=5424),

IMHO why not try to modify your rds003 a bit first for stability and consistency.

Increase the tension to the about 60lbs or slightly higher with softer strings like Yonex 850, Babolat Xcel or Klip Excellerator or just go natural gut.

As for stability issues with the Yonex rds 003 this is what I would do:

Add a heavier leather grip +5g, 5-8g lead at the handle, 3g at the base of the throat and perhaps 3gs at the 3&9 o'clock and another 2-3g at the 2&10 o'clock this setup might help the stability issues and bring the sw to something like 320 and the total weight to 335 -337g.

That's what I'll do with the Yonex that I'm thinking of getting unless nickb can persuade me otherwise LOL!

At 36 I'm no spring chicken too so I too need all the help I can get LOL!

mawashi
________
Ebony Cams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/ebony-girls/)

MCN
08-08-2008, 05:10 AM
Hi again guys. I'm trying some stiffer rackets just to see how they compare against my RDS002 Tour for playability - I realise that they may not be good for my TE - just trying to see whether they would really be that bad for me if I liked one of them and decided to switch. To be honest, my TE is pretty horrible right now and it doesn't make much difference which racket I use - I'm just playing through the pain. I had to give up tennis a few years ago for around 2 years because of TE but slowly made my way back into things playing with a softly strung Prince 03 Tour (which was great if you like playing with a mattress!). And yes, I've tried that again but really hate the feel. So far I have liked the RDS003 for its easy of use and whippy spins, it felt much less harsh than the Head Extreme but hated it for volleys. I'll borrow this again and try some lead as suggested. I'm also tempted to try a Volkl C10 Pro again (if I can get one over here in the UK) as someone suggested - to see if its stable but allows for easier topspin than my Yonex RDS002 Tour. I used the old one briefly a few years ago and remember how nice it felt but at the time I felt you had to be a really good player to get the best out of it. I'm afraid I'd miss that extra pop the RDS003 gives that I liked so much when I tried it. I don;t think I can demo the Vantage here either and I'm reluctant to buy something without trying first.

MCN
08-08-2008, 12:54 PM
I've just ordered up the RDS 002 (non Tour) for a demo and actually managed to get hold of a demo Pro Kennex Ionic 5i as someone suggested - will post findings in a few days after I've had a hit.

DC Tennis Fan
08-08-2008, 05:28 PM
I've just ordered up the RDS 002 (non Tour) for a demo and actually managed to get hold of a demo Pro Kennex Ionic 5i as someone suggested - will post findings in a few days after I've had a hit.

Give the Fischer M Pro No. 1 105 a try. I added some weight to the throat and it hits like a dream. Great power and control...easy to hit different kinds of spin with this racquet because of the larger head too. The racquet is great for put-away mid court shots because I can really whip through the ball. I find it terrific at the net and very good for serves.

AT92292
08-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Dont try the Dunlop 500 try the 300 instead

AT92292
08-08-2008, 05:39 PM
And if you think the 300 is too light u can stick some lead on it

mawashi
08-09-2008, 10:13 PM
So far I have liked the RDS003 for its easy of use and whippy spins, it felt much less harsh than the Head Extreme but hated it for volleys. I'll borrow this again and try some lead as suggested.

Seems the answer is very clear in that you just need a heavier and more stable version of the 003.

I have already leaded my 003 with 10g at the handle and another 5g at the 3&9 o'clock with another 2g at the 2&10 o'clock but it still feels a bit light and not quite so stable but other than that it is still a really fun racket.

Personally I would really love to have the same power, comfort and shape of the sweet spot of the 003 but with the specs of the 001 MP and a length of 27.25.... my personal dream racket.

mawashi
________
Recall zoloft (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

MCN
08-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Couple more demo racquets arrived today - Yonex 002 (non Tour) and Pro Kennex Ki5. Guess what? First few hits I had with the Ki5 felt so right - even slightly mis-hit shots felt nice! As others have said here, there is a funny buzzing sound if you hit at the tip - but there's little or no vibration transmitted and you soon get used to the noise. It's quite faint in any case. Now, I really liked the Yonex 003 I tried before - killer topspins - but I just couldn't volley with it. The Ki5 was pretty good for topspin and had lots of power on demand (maybe not quite as good as the 003) but I play with lots of top anyway and could get good spin with the Ki5. I expected the Ki5 to be similar to the 003 on volleys - but what a surprise! Plenty of pop and I could even block hard shots back (perhaps not as much as with my usual Yonex 002 Tour, but still pretty good). The weight of the Ki5 seems just right for me - I can build up head speed for aggresive spin, play solidly at the net and not tire with it after 3 sets as I do with my 002 Tour. It did take me a set to get in the groove with the serve and its not as powerful as the 003 here, but my serve is not huge and I rely more on placement, so no real worries here. All in all, I'm quite excited about this stick and may have found what I'm looking for - it seems to suit my game and is an all rounder - power when you need it, crisp volleys, reasonable topsin. And since I suffer from TE, the lack of vibrations will surely help here as well. (I didn't try the 002 non Tour today - but I will). But boy, is the Ki5 a sweet stick. Thanks to the poster who suggested this.

rayallen333
08-16-2008, 07:22 PM
have you hit with the rds 002 (nontour)? if so, how did you like it?