PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Help/ Demo List

SeminoleTennis
07-29-2008, 06:13 AM
I've been playing now for about a year and a half and am currently playing 3.5level -Babolat Pure Control BB/Gut. My problem is generating POP on my serve, I love the control aspect of this stick on ground strokes, but need more POP on my serve. I feel with the PC that Im having to really generate all the pace on the serves with no "Free" power from the stick. Any racquet recomendations would be appreciated.

cujays
07-29-2008, 06:39 AM
babolat pure drive
sp black
o3 white

JMBenson
07-29-2008, 07:14 AM
I'd recommend you demo:

Babolat Pure Storm (std. model)
Dunlop 500 Tour

fuzz nation
07-29-2008, 07:40 AM
In terms of racquets, you'd probably be able to swing a little faster with another Babolat that isn't quite as hefty as your PC. There's a tradeoff there though, because if you were to swing two different racquets at the same rate, the heavier one would probably deliver more power since it carries more inertial to the ball. Your frame has enough heft in it to whack the ball pretty well, so if you can't swing it comfortably, try a slightly lighter one. Our pal cujays already made some recommendations.

You also have plenty of stiffness in the PC for decent pop so I'm thinking that if your frame isn't too heavy for you, there's also the issue of string type. If BB/Gut means that you have a hybrid of Big Banger poly and natural gut, you should first try the less expensive route of sampling a different string setup. As a 3.5 player, I find it hard to believe that you really need any poly in your racquet - that stuff is next to lifeless and allows for college players and pros to take big cuts at the ball while maintaining control. You'll definitely see more zip in your strings if you try something with more resilience - either a 16 or 17 gauge synthetic gut or multifilament. The multi will probably have more spring in its personality and natural gut is considered to be the liveliest and most arm friendly string on the block. One more idea,as long as I'm reading it right, might just be to reverse your hybrid. If you're using Big Banger in your mains, try that in the crosses with the nat'l gut as your mains.