PDA

View Full Version : Playtest: Aerogel200 vs Aerogel100

basil J
07-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Well, I had the opportunitty to demo an aerogel 100 this week, so I wanted to compare the two, play them both in stock form with the same type of string and compare the two frames against one another. I strung up my aerogel with klip excellerator at 63#, the 100 has dunlop mfil string, probably strung at mid tension.
A little about me:, I am 47 years old. rated 4.0, I play mostly baseline tennis, but like to close in to the net when I can. I hit with an extreme eastern forehand grip and an eastern 1HBH grip. The 200 is my regular frame.
Feel in hand: My 200 weighs in at 12.3 ounces strung with an over grip. The 100 weighed in at 11.9 ounces strung with an over grip. The 100 is 9 pts. HL, the 200 is 5pts HL. Boh frames feel great in hand, but the 100 is clearly more head light and swings much easier.
Groundstrokes: I found both racquets great off the ground, but for very different reasons. The 200 has a pretty good swing weight and rewards good preparation and mechanics with big shots off of both wings. Control is good, spin is easily produced and comfort is good. I find that when you miss the fairly small sweet spot on this frame, unlike the 200GMW, where a mishit usully resulted in a short or netted ball, the balls usually sail long, probably due to the stiffer frame. I find that when I use this racquet,most of my shots are similar, driving heavy topspin shots, with fairly low net clearance.
[B]The AG 100 feels light in hand but delivers a solid groundgame in a different way than the 200. Control is simply just excellent with this frame. You can hit pretty much any type of spin with ease. I found myself using height, spins and mixing up pace much better than the 200. I thought the lighter weight would be a disadvantage against a big hitter, but it was solid as a rock. I could place the ball anywhere on command,and it cups the ball beautifully. My 1HBH really lit up with this frame. What it lacks is the weight and pace of shot that I get with the 200. Different strings and some mods could help this, but again, this is a stock comparison. Less power, but more options.
Volleys:I found both frames excellent at the net. The 200 gave me more punch, the 100 gave me more feel and has better mobility. Both are solid and very little seperates the two.
Serves:This was the hardest comparison for me. The 200 provided me with more pace, a better flat serve and excellent placement. Slice and topspin serves are OK but nothing great.
The 100 again gave me more options due to spin capacity and being headlight, but less pace.I felt it was a more comfortable frame to serve with. I had equal success using both of them in matches and with time I could probably crank up the horse power with the 100.
Serve Returns: The 200 is a great stick to return with. Slice returns stay low with bite and it handles pace very well. It is an easy frame to go on the offensive with.
The 100 was equal to the task except at times I struggled with high kick serves to my backhand side. This was the only time I noticed the smaller head size and at times struggled to get balls back in play with any type of authority.
Summary:I love both of these frames. Comfort is excellent with both racquets and I never felt any discomfort with either frame. I found in matches that I went for more with the 200 and got better pace and more winners, but also more errors. I felt that the 100 gave me more options, a bigger sweet spot , but I left more balls that were easily attacked and I had to work the points differently. I actually had more fun playing with the 100. I have never felt comfortable using a sub 12 ounce frame, but this frame simply works. The sweet spot is actually bigger on the 100 than the 200, so I had no issue using a 90" head and my unforced errors were fewer with the 100 than the 200. The 200 plays well with gut or a good multi or synthetic, and I imagine the 100 would do well with a comfort string as well.
I found both frames excellent and I could happily use either one on a regular basis. I currently use the 200 and enjoy the frame, but will at some point probably pick up a 100 and see how it performs when the indoor season begins.

bad_call
07-29-2008, 06:18 PM
basil J - thanks for the post. been eyeing this one and it's nice to get more feedback from the players. i'm quite happy with the T10V and don't really need another racquet...just more court time. but anyway nice to know that if i ever need a new stick... :)

nn
07-29-2008, 07:31 PM
yeah pretty good comparison where you never spoke about WOW.. because no racquet is wow..

AG 200 is way to go compare AG100 because stock form has good weight. I have notice whenever you try to add weight to stock frame you never get what you want because we are not pros in doing that. Also pro get custom flex, weight, balance, grip and pattern etc.. I found AG200 as good as K90 just that I played better with K90 because AG200 dense pattern was not giving me any spin compare to k90. Also I don't generate any spin because flat stroke and sometime slice will sit in middle for kill where k90 put more spin on slice & defensive shots

nCode747
07-29-2008, 09:50 PM
hmm good comparison im wondering which one suits me better

Speedygonzalez
07-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the nice review Basil J!

bertrevert
07-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Groundstrokes: I found both racquets great off the ground, but for very different reasons. The 200 has a pretty good swing weight and rewards good preparation and mechanics with big shots off of both wings. Control is good, spin is easily produced and comfort is good. I find that when you miss the fairly small sweet spot on this frame, unlike the 200GMW, where a mishit usully resulted in a short or netted ball, the balls usually sail long, probably due to the stiffer frame. I find that when I use this racquet,most of my shots are similar, driving heavy topspin shots, with fairly low net clearance.
[B]The AG 100 . Less power, but more options.

The MW200G was a cracker in doubles for that authoritive one-shot winner that would end all the finagling around at the net. But boy was it a beast to lug around in singles...

basil J as I understand it yr a long-term 200g die-hard correct?

I've stumbled around many popular frmaes recently trying to find the right thing (think I've found it in the KBT) but what it's showed me is that each racq has strengths/weaknesses that you must be alert to and prepared to modify yr game in order to achieve a "fit".

So, to my mind, you'd have to get yr dancing shoes on with the AG100G - are you sure you want to do that?

I can hear you saying that it hits a lighter shot, not necessarily short, but with less sting. Against yr toughest opponents that's going to mean more balls coming back.

There are some mature threads happening in this forum about how it's not all about head size etc, but may be more about SW and balance and plow-through. These are those unquantifiables that only become apparent in matches.

Doesn't sound like there's enough in it for you to change permanently, true?

basil J
07-30-2008, 02:46 AM
I will probably be sticking with the 200 due to the investment I made to purchase 3 of them. The 100 is a lot of fun to use but I question if I have the game to use it sucessfully.

Go Tennis
07-30-2008, 03:31 AM
I play yesterday with my friend's AG 200. I like very much the huge control. I'm thinking to buy one. As I play many years with the Classic 6.1, I miss the 95 head size.

Rabbit
07-30-2008, 04:05 AM
Great review, basil j. I agree with your assessment of the AG100. I do find it fun to play with and like you don't find the head size a limitation in any respect. I appreciate your comparison between the two frames. I had wondered about that. I don't have any problems with power, so I think the 100 is a better fit for me.

My take and great expectation on the AG100 is that it's going to play great strung all gut at 60 pounds.

hoodjem
07-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Serves:This was the hardest comparison for me. The 200 provided me with more pace, a better flat serve and excellent placement. Slice and topspin serves are OK but nothing great.
The 100 again gave me more options due to spin capacity and being headlight, but less pace.I felt it was a more comfortable frame to serve with. I had equal success using both of them in matches and with time I could probably crank up the horse power with the 100.

I am not disagreeing, but I had a different experience. With the AG100 I hit the hardest, fastest serves I have ever hit. Plus, I had excellent placement and could generate new spins.

With the AG 100 I was starting to explore a whole new territory in serving.

basil J
07-30-2008, 07:01 AM
I think that pace on serve would be enhanced on the 100 with better strings and a lower tension. Everytime I move to a new racquet, it takes time for me to adjust my serve, so I don't doubt that it could be a great serving stick. I just found that I could serve bigger, but with less action on the ball with my current 200.

BreakPoint
07-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I am not disagreeing, but I had a different experience. With the AG100 I hit the hardest, fastest serves I have ever hit. Plus, I had excellent placement and could generate new spins.

With the AG 100 I was starting to explore a whole new territory in serving.
That's also been my experience serving with the AG100.

Other than the PS 6.0 85, it's one of the very few racquets that when I step to the line to serve, it makes me feel as if I'm Pete Sampras and can just hit aces at will. :eek: :)

max
07-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Basil : thanks for the post. This is a frame I should give a spin, and your insights are valuable to me.

Go Tennis
07-30-2008, 02:26 PM
I play again this afternoon with the AG 200. My friend put a new string just for my second test. I choose the set up: Alu Power at 60lbs. After 2 hours, we need to change the string. We put Big Banger Original at 58lbs. IMO this stick plays better with 1,25mm. At last, but not least, the AG 200 rocks (I like this American word).

basil J
07-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Played a real tight match tonight against a very solid 30 year old baseliner. I started with the 100, but quickly realized that I need to lead this frame up to get the solid feedback I get with the 200 so I put it down after 2 games and I switched back to my trusty 200 and went on to win in a 3rd set tie breaker. I think with about an add 1/2 oz in the head and 1/2 oz, in the handle this could be a perfect frame, but I did not tinker with a demo, It goes back tomorrow. I have yet to find a frame that allows me to hit aggessive nasty back hand slices like I can with the 200. I get very aggressive on service returns with low hard down the line slices that surprise a lot of opponents, I think because it is not a shot people ususally hit hard. Oh well the 100 goes back to TW for someone else to try!!

Il Mostro
07-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Really good review. This is relevant for me as my nephew is visiting from Japan for a month and we are looking at both these sticks for him. He has just gotten into a top HS based on his tennis ability. Thank you.

basil J
07-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the positive comments.

bertrevert
07-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Good stuff, sounds like you know what would make it work for you, and could certainly go down that route, but... if it's not broke don't fix it.

Slice: Reckon a little heft goes a long way in the slice shot. If you get too underpowered the ball just won't skid through.

Serve: often is the first stroke to go and the last to come back when changing frames. As soon as we raise that small weight above shoulder height all bets are off. I guess it's something to do with it being a floating joint and perhaps quite sensitive to small changes (it can be added lead, or grips as well that are noticeable).

Happy hitting.

Hidious
07-30-2008, 06:14 PM
No idea why but my Ag200 felt so damn heavy tonight. I've been playing my best tennis ever with it earlier in the summer but i think a 100 would be welcome in my bag for "those" nights when my racquet feels like it's 14oz.

2nd_Serve
07-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the review. Sounds like the 100 is a good stick. Got to try it out soon.

Rabbit
07-31-2008, 09:09 AM
My demo is winging its way back to TW today. I liked it so much, that 3 brand new AG100s will probably pass the demo in the air on their way to me.

basil J
08-05-2008, 04:46 PM
I am looking to trade one of my 200's for a 100 if someone purchased one and decided it was not for them. 4 1/2' grip is what I am looking for. Thanks

TooMuchFun13
08-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey basil did you modify your AG 200 or did it come stock at 5pts HL?

basil J
08-06-2008, 05:58 AM
I have three of them. Strung with Vs gut, an overgirp and wilson head tape they are all 5 pts head light. Without the head tape thet are 6 pts. head light.

basil J
08-06-2008, 06:01 AM
I think the specs are wrong on the description page. The 100 is much more headlight than the 200, yet the 100 is listed with more even balance than the 200?? The swingweight on the 200 is also substancially heavier than the 100.

DonBot
08-06-2008, 08:43 AM
I have been hitting my aero 100s exclusively for the last two weeks. They have leather grips and a balance point of 8pts head light. They are insanely powerful off the ground but serves and overheads have been tough for me. I think with just a leather grip it is too headlight. I just can not snap my wrist and let the weight of the raquet head do the work. I ran four grams of lead at 10 and 2 hoping it will both raise the sweet spot a touch and make it a little easier to hit overheads with. I never thought a raquet could be too head light, but I think mine are. I will hit with them tonight and post some feedback.

hawk45
08-06-2008, 12:17 PM
I may have to try the AG100. Demo'd the AG200 this past week and felt heavy and less manuverable than expected compared to the M-Fli 200. I was expecting them to be more on par.

bchamaki
08-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Wow, great review. I just don't know how these rackets would play against guys with huge spin (like college players) and whether they'll take me to the next level.

BreakPoint
08-06-2008, 12:40 PM
The swingweight on the 200 is also substancially heavier than the 100.
Yes, as indicated by TW's specs as they have the AG200 listed as SW = 331 and the AG100 listed as SW = 312. That is a very significant difference. But I agree with you that the AG100 feels much more headlight than the AG200.